DHEA for Lupus
    Sanzan is offline New Member

Default DHEA for Lupus

I've had Lupus for a few years and like everyone else, wanted a reduction in symptoms. I've read about DHEA for years but was really not convinced it would help.

At my last appointment, I asked my rheumatologist to test my levels and she did. It came back low. She said she had no problem with me taking it, so I bought some. Within a few hours after taking it, I started to feel more alert, less sleepy and had more energy. The same thing happened today. I have never had a placebo affect with any other drug, so I doubt that is what is happening here.

Has anyone else had any experience with DHEA?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Default Sanzan

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzan View Post
    I've had Lupus for a few years and like everyone else, wanted a reduction in symptoms. I've read about DHEA for years but was really not convinced it would help.

At my last appointment, I asked my rheumatologist to test my levels and she did. It came back low. She said she had no problem with me taking it, so I bought some. Within a few hours after taking it, I started to feel more alert, less sleepy and had more energy. The same thing happened today. I have never had a placebo affect with any other drug, so I doubt that is what is happening here.

Has anyone else had any experience with DHEA?

I have not personally used DHEA. I do moderate on one autoimmune disease forum at this time and used to moderate another one as well. So I am pretty familiar with meds used for autoimmune diseases like Lupus. I personally have RA, Raynaud's Phenomenon, and Antophospholipid Syndrome (APS) which are all autoimmune diseases.

DHEA is a steroidal hormone produced normally by the body in the adrenal glands. It's been used in trials for weight loss, diabetes, MS and other autoimmune diseases, etc. Lots of things. It works for some people for several different things. But to my knowledge there is nothing concrete in writing about VERIFYING it's benefit on lupus. I always stand corrected. But I commend your dr for being creative as that is what it takes sometimes with autoimmune problems. My rheumatologist was also creative and turned me around with my illnesses when I thought there was no hope. Lupus can be so tough to live with. I sincerely hope your treatments are successful. Keep us posted. I would be very interested to know how it works out for my own benefit and knowledge. Thank you and God bless.

MonaL is offline New Member

Default Dhea

I don't have Lupus, but I have a lot of aches and pains, and I found similar relief from DHEA. I didn't have my levels tested though, and did stop taking it because of that reason.