From effexor to bupropion
    Rohambasir is offline New Member

Default From effexor to bupropion

Hello
    I've been diagnosed with depression, adhd and mood swings
    My meds are:
    1- depakote 500 ( cause 5 years ago I had a seizure but not after that)
    2- aripiprazol 2.5
    3- venlafaxin 150
    4- ritalin ( not everyday only when I have something important to do like studying for exam)

My problem which I have been experiencing since 3 month ago, is that I have bored everytime , I used to do something like watch movies, reading books and ... Before , but nowadays I am interested in nothing and the only thing i do is smoking ( 50 cig a day)

But when I take ritalin I get better

So I think my problem might be linked to dopamin rather than serotonin
    And I have decided to switch from venlafaxine to bupropion
    1- what do you think about it?
    2- i am worry about seizures since Ive one in my life and ive heard that ritalin and bupropion might both cause seizure....

Thank u very much

Pharmabecs is offline New Member

Ok, here's my professional opinion as a pharmacist. I'll take you thru your med list, and then give you my opinion.
    1. Depakote: in theory works to potentiate GABA. And has some involvement in slowing down voltage-gated sodium channels with in our neurons.

GABA is our brains "braking fluid". The more GABA available and at higher concentrations, the more lethargic and tired we become.

2. Aripiprazole: a very versatile drug that can stimulate some and block some dopamine receptors, and blocks serotonin in some areas of the brain too. It also has anti-histamine affects, which like good ol'fashion benadryl causes sedation.

3. Venlafaxine ER 150. Finally! We have a drug that increases serotonin activity AND Norepinephrine. Increased levels of serotonin have shown to decrease anxiety, and give us a feeling of contentment. Life seems less abrasive when serotonin is elevated. Norepinephrine helps with focus, alertness, and clarity. Some find increased levels of NE can add to their anxiety, thus having the ability to also increase serotonin at the same time will balance the two. In a perfect world, maybe.
    But in real life, it's not always the case.

4.Ritilin: increases dopamine and Norepinephrine. Dopamine is our pleasure, or reward brain chemical. NE brings clarity, alertness, increased brain activity in certain regions of the brain. With higher dopamine and NE floating around, the better life seems to be. At low controlled doses, this is beneficial. When you don't take it, well yeah... You have more drugs on board that slow you down. You're bored because your brain is being slowed down, and not too much outside influences can motivate it.

If you get rid of Venlafaxine, you get rid of the one drug that increases NE with out any serotonin buffer. Add bupropion which increases NE and Dopamine. Bupropion is contraindicated in people with a history of seizures. It decreases the seizure threshold.

My question is: why keep adding drugs with more baggage and moving away from serotonin drugs?.

I'd ask about lowering the dose of Depakote. Or trying a few weeks with out aripiprazole. Have your thyroid checked and vitamin D levels evaluated.

The SSRIs are a fantastic class of drugs in my opinion and are first line drugs against depression. Venlafaxine I'd a very hard drug to come off of with out an SSRI to ease that withdrawal.

I don't know if that helped. I just hope it brings a bit of insight into how things could be working. I wish you luck.

Rohambasir is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmabecs View Post
    Ok, here's my professional opinion as a pharmacist. I'll take you thru your med list, and then give you my opinion.
    1. Depakote: in theory works to potentiate GABA. And has some involvement in slowing down voltage-gated sodium channels with in our neurons.

GABA is our brains "braking fluid". The more GABA available and at higher concentrations, the more lethargic and tired we become.

2. Aripiprazole: a very versatile drug that can stimulate some and block some dopamine receptors, and blocks serotonin in some areas of the brain too. It also has anti-histamine affects, which like good ol'fashion benadryl causes sedation.

3. Venlafaxine ER 150. Finally! We have a drug that increases serotonin activity AND Norepinephrine. Increased levels of serotonin have shown to decrease anxiety, and give us a feeling of contentment. Life seems less abrasive when serotonin is elevated. Norepinephrine helps with focus, alertness, and clarity. Some find increased levels of NE can add to their anxiety, thus having the ability to also increase serotonin at the same time will balance the two. In a perfect world, maybe.
    But in real life, it's not always the case.

4.Ritilin: increases dopamine and Norepinephrine. Dopamine is our pleasure, or reward brain chemical. NE brings clarity, alertness, increased brain activity in certain regions of the brain. With higher dopamine and NE floating around, the better life seems to be. At low controlled doses, this is beneficial. When you don't take it, well yeah... You have more drugs on board that slow you down. You're bored because your brain is being slowed down, and not too much outside influences can motivate it.

If you get rid of Venlafaxine, you get rid of the one drug that increases NE with out any serotonin buffer. Add bupropion which increases NE and Dopamine. Bupropion is contraindicated in people with a history of seizures. It decreases the seizure threshold.

My question is: why keep adding drugs with more baggage and moving away from serotonin drugs?.

I'd ask about lowering the dose of Depakote. Or trying a few weeks with out aripiprazole. Have your thyroid checked and vitamin D levels evaluated.

The SSRIs are a fantastic class of drugs in my opinion and are first line drugs against depression. Venlafaxine I'd a very hard drug to come off of with out an SSRI to ease that withdrawal.

I don't know if that helped. I just hope it brings a bit of insight into how things could be working. I wish you luck.
    Thank you for reply
    Ive thought about your post
    I think I was wrong and swtiching to bupropion is not a good choice
    i am thinking about these two:
    1- stopping abilify and wait for the result.
    2- switching from abilify to Seroquel

Ive reduced depakote to 250 mg recently