Stuck with lidocaine taste after 26 hours...
    astronaat is offline New Member

Default Stuck with lidocaine taste after 26 hours...

Hello, I know it may sound silly that I'm making such a big deal out of what I'm about to say, but I've been on the edge of vomiting for the past 26 hours. Last Friday I got all 4 Wisdom Teeth taken out. Everything went well until the 3rd day where I was having some of the worst pain I've ever felt. I went to the oral surgeon yesterday and he told me I had dry socket in both of my bottom holes. (Both of my bottom sides were not stitched back up for some reason, only the top ones) He filled it back up with something which wasn't bad, but then he squirted lidocaine in it to numb it. It is the most horrid thing I've ever tasted in my life. He then prescribed it to me instead of giving me more painkillers and told me to come back in 2 days (tomorrow). When I got home, I squirted it in the bottom holes before I went to bed and nearly vomited in my sink. This was at about 9 PM last night. It is now 11:31 PM, 26 hours later, and I still taste the lidocaine every now and then in my saliva. I usually taste it whenever I drink and the liquid gets back there or I accidentally put a small amount of pressure on the area around the hole by eating or something. When I taste it, I taste it just as if I squirted it in there 30 seconds ago, except it's not sour like fresh lidocaine is. Literally all day I have tried countless things to get this taste out of my gums and can't. I've ate plenty of food, I've drank multiple milkshakes, put gauze over the holes, and, as crazy as this sounds, put toothpaste into my mouth and let it sit back where my wisdom teeth were, but the taste still comes back with a vengeance. Some of you may think I'm seriously over exaggerating this and that's fine, but this taste to me is unbearable and it has made me nauseous multiple times. Last night I woke up around 4:30 AM and the taste of it had completely filled my mouth and I had to rinse my mouth out for about 5 minutes to get it out. Just thinking about it makes me queezy. Anyways, I need advice for what I can do to get this hell of a medicine out of my mouth. Tomorrow when I go back to the oral surgeon I'm going to tell him to not put anymore in there or I'll be sick. Honestly I would go as far as just letting him stitch back up the holes so maybe it wouldn't keep getting into my saliva. If I would've known it would be this much of a problem I would've dealt with the pain because I have a weak stomach and can't handle this much longer. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-26-2017 at 11:47 PM.

pattisun16 is offline New Member

I'm so sorry to hear your story. I've always heard the dental assistant say don't smoke or suck thru a straw or you'll get a dry socket. Because I suffer such bad migraines I have anti-nausea medication. It's such a blessing! Sunce it's the weekend call and say you have a dental emergency. Then tell the surgeon the lidocaine spray has you very nauseated and you are dry heaving from the taste of it. Hopefully he will deal with your nausea. I have no idea how to get rid of the taste, but hopefully you get rid of the nausea.

Bright blessings,

Patti