5 year Low dose Xanax taper. Need help!!
    nachomuchacho8 is offline New Member

Default 5 year Low dose Xanax taper. Need help!!

Hey guys,so I have been taking low dose xanax for roughly 5 years. I kind of got into a bad habit of taking it everyday at work because i found that it would make the workday go by faster (stupid, i know). I realize this was a terrible idea and am looking to cut the benzo use all together. I used to take 1 mg pretty much everyday for 2-3 years, then worked my way down to taking .5 mg daily for probably the last 2 years. For the better part of the past year i have taken only .25mg daily, and occasionally .5mg a day if working long shifts.

Then I quit my job and for the past 4 months i have been taking just .25 mg maybe 2-3 times per week. I dont really "crave" taking it but i do notice that if its been like 3 days from my last .25mg dose i start to get a headache and irritable and then take a .25mg dose to alleviate the symptoms, then go another 2-3 days without any doses.

My question is, should I taper down to .125mg and just continue take it every 2-3 days until i feel i dont need to take it any longer, or should i go back to taking .25mg every day and then taper down 10% every 10-14 days until at 0? It would seem counterproductive to start taking it everyday again when i only take it 2 times a week now, unless it will help me completely stop by giving my body some consistency.

Any thoughts? I appreciate it.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nachomuchacho8 View Post
    Hey guys,so I have been taking low dose xanax for roughly 5 years. I kind of got into a bad habit of taking it everyday at work because i found that it would make the workday go by faster (stupid, i know). I realize this was a terrible idea and am looking to cut the benzo use all together. I used to take 1 mg pretty much everyday for 2-3 years, then worked my way down to taking .5 mg daily for probably the last 2 years. For the better part of the past year i have taken only .25mg daily, and occasionally .5mg a day if working long shifts.

Then I quit my job and for the past 4 months i have been taking just .25 mg maybe 2-3 times per week. I dont really "crave" taking it but i do notice that if its been like 3 days from my last .25mg dose i start to get a headache and irritable and then take a .25mg dose to alleviate the symptoms, then go another 2-3 days without any doses.

My question is, should I taper down to .125mg and just continue take it every 2-3 days until i feel i dont need to take it any longer, or should i go back to taking .25mg every day and then taper down 10% every 10-14 days until at 0? It would seem counterproductive to start taking it everyday again when i only take it 2 times a week now, unless it will help me completely stop by giving my body some consistency.

Any thoughts? I appreciate it.
    Hello, welcome to the forum. I would recommend taking your .25mg dose every two days instead of every three. Start tapering each dose by 10% every 7-10 days. You can achieve the reductions by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method.

You'll want to taper slow enough to avoid or at least minimize any withdrawal symptoms. You can adjust the taper depending on how you feel? If you're feeling withdrawals then slow down the taper, maybe lower your reduction to only 5%?

When tapering, especially benzos, slow and steady wins the race! Best of luck to you. Keep us updated? God bless us all!