Alcohol and benzodiazepine codependent. Worried about withdrawals.
    Mr-Deeds is offline New Member

Default Alcohol and benzodiazepine codependent. Worried about withdrawals.

I take 1mg Xanax 3x daily. I also drink about 2 bottles of wine a night or a little over a half of a 750ml bottle of rum. I've been on the Xanax for 9 months. I have been drinking almost daily for about 5 years.

I have been wondering how physically addicted to the benzos for quite some time. I don't abuse the meds so I hardly ever feel the minor WD symptoms. But I have been wanting to know what to expect if for some hypothetical I didn't have my pills for a few days (let's say a week).

Would I go through bad withdrawals?
    Would I have WDs if I quit drinking and just take the Xanax?
    Would it be exponentially worse if I quit both at the same time?

Like I have said, I DON'T plan on doing this. But I would really like to know how serious my physical dependency to the Xanax and alcohol (mainly xanax!) may actually be.

Thank you,
    Mr.Deeds

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Deeds View Post
    I take 1mg Xanax 3x daily. I also drink about 2 bottles of wine a night or a little over a half of a 750ml bottle of rum. I've been on the Xanax for 9 months. I have been drinking almost daily for about 5 years.

I have been wondering how physically addicted to the benzos for quite some time. I don't abuse the meds so I hardly ever feel the minor WD symptoms. But I have been wanting to know what to expect if for some hypothetical I didn't have my pills for a few days (let's say a week).

Would I go through bad withdrawals?
    Would I have WDs if I quit drinking and just take the Xanax?
    Would it be exponentially worse if I quit both at the same time?

Like I have said, I DON'T plan on doing this. But I would really like to know how serious my physical dependency to the Xanax and alcohol (mainly xanax!) may actually be.

Thank you,
    Mr.Deeds

Hello Mr Deeds -

I've been in a similar situation as you so I can give you some idea about what you're up against. I can tell you firstly that benzo's and alcohol do not go together very well. It turns into a dangerous situation mixing the two together.

Now with that said I can also tell you that taking benzo's daily, even when taken as directed and not abused, can turn into a nightmare of a problem, especially when wanting to stop taking them. They have been known to help many people, but they are also a very dangerous medication.

So to answer your questions....
    Would you go through withdrawals if you stopped the benzo's for a week as you hypothetically mentioned? Yes, you most definitely would. And it's exceptionally dangerous to do that. Stopping any benzo cold turkey is NEVER recommended. Seizures and other medical issues can appear, including death. Yes, it's THAT dangerous. Benzo's should be tapered very slow and methodical until you're down to the smallest possible dose. Usually a rate of reducing your dose by 3-5% every week is recommended. Check the Ashton Manual for further information concerning all things benzo.

Would you have withdrawals if you stop drinking and continue taking the benzo's? Yes, you would go through alcohol withdrawals for a period of time, especially with the amount you're consuming daily.

What if you stopped both the drinking and the benzo's at the same time? You would be in a world of hurt my friend. You would be withdrawing from both drugs and it would take every ounce of willpower you have to get through it. I wouldn't;t do that if I were you. I would instead slow down the drinking until you can stop by drinking less each day until you're done with it. Then tackle the benzo's by reducing at the rate I mentioned earlier. That's my suggestions anyway.

Should you want to get off. both or either we can certainly help you do that here.

All the best to you. Post often and you'll receive reply. The forums have been very slow lately so be patient for reply. You can also move your thread to the Need to Talk section as that one is much more active. Take care of yourself.

Randy