ativan taper
    annlorda is offline New Member

Angry ativan taper

Need help with ativan taper. I have been taking 1mg daily for six years. I cut dosage in half one week ago. Having some withdrawl symptoms, hot flashes, dry mouth, nausea. How long should I stay on this dose, and what should the next dose be in the taper schedule?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Sorry this response is so late. Maybe by now you are stable on .5 mg per day. What happened with your symptoms is to be expected and you probably should not have cut by half all at once but if it's done and you are better, that's good. If you are now taking .5 mg per day, if it were me, I would try to get a prescription for .5 mg tablets so you can cut them more easily, and cut them in quarters or even eighths, and reduce slowly that way. If you must use the 1 mg tablets, try cutting out 1/8 next and stabilize for around ten days, and go from there.

Hey, thanks for the reply.. How long should I continue on .5 mg ativan. It has been nearly 6 week. I have already quartered some 1mg. tabs. When should I start that regimen, and when do I go to 1/8? Please respond quickly. I don't have any support.
    annlorda

If you have been down to .5 per day for a couple weeks or more, I think you can reduce again any time. But only if you are stable. The worst of the anxiety and hot flashes, etc. should be resolved. If not, stay on .5 until they do (another week at least).

You are taking 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet? I would cut out only 1/8 tablet, no more. That will be a 25% cut which is more than I would recommend but to cut by less you would have to try to cut the tablet into 16ths. You might try taking 1/4 plus 1/8 for a day or two and see how you feel. After you stabilize again (a week or ten days) try cutting another piece out.

You might want to read jugnugget's thread. Everything I'm suggesting to him might apply to your situation too.

I guess I am doing fairly well. Last Saturday I woke to a fever of 102. I took some aleve, then felt better. This morning I again woke with a fever of 102. Could this be a withdrawl symptom?

No. Not a confirmed fever of 102. Chills, hot flashes, yes, but not an actual fever. That is unrelated to the Ativan.