Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By gooner_nate
  • 2 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By gooner_nate
Ativan taper - Should I jump?
    gooner_nate is offline New Member

Default Ativan taper - Should I jump?

I'm struggling to get a clear answer on this given how my time is not quite the shortest but is by no means long term.

My schedule has been this:

2 - 3mg ativan per week for 2 months, regularly going 2/3 days with no ativan (August - September)
    1mg everyday for 21 days. (Start of October)
    0.75mg for 7 days
    0.5mg for 10 days
    0.37mg for 6 days
    0.25mg currently

I got down to 0.37 with a few bumps but my sleep has been consistent and my anxiety has improved a little bit (when I started this I barely made it to 9.30 - 10am without taking it, now I can go till 1pm or 2pm).

It's getting tough now, mainly because I don't feel like the 0.25 making any difference for my anxiety. My question now is how long should I hold at 0.25mg and/or how low should I go taken into account how long I actually took it regularly. I have now been tapering for 24 days compared to the 21 days I took it for before. I I've read some stories about interdose withdrawal, is the longer I stay on 0.25mg going increase the likelihood of interdose withdrawals. And given that the 0.25 doesn't make much of a difference should I just bite the bullet and try and get off sooner. Maybe I am totally overthinking this but my doctor literally knows less about benzos than I do.

Thanks
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Nate, welcome to the forum I have no experience with what your asking but bumping your thread hopefully someone will reply with some suggestions..hang in there..
    hopes1211 and Beefaroni7272 like this.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gooner_nate View Post
    I'm struggling to get a clear answer on this given how my time is not quite the shortest but is by no means long term.

My schedule has been this:

2 - 3mg ativan per week for 2 months, regularly going 2/3 days with no ativan (August - September)
    1mg everyday for 21 days. (Start of October)
    0.75mg for 7 days
    0.5mg for 10 days
    0.37mg for 6 days
    0.25mg currently

I got down to 0.37 with a few bumps but my sleep has been consistent and my anxiety has improved a little bit (when I started this I barely made it to 9.30 - 10am without taking it, now I can go till 1pm or 2pm).

It's getting tough now, mainly because I don't feel like the 0.25 making any difference for my anxiety. My question now is how long should I hold at 0.25mg and/or how low should I go taken into account how long I actually took it regularly. I have now been tapering for 24 days compared to the 21 days I took it for before. I I've read some stories about interdose withdrawal, is the longer I stay on 0.25mg going increase the likelihood of interdose withdrawals. And given that the 0.25 doesn't make much of a difference should I just bite the bullet and try and get off sooner. Maybe I am totally overthinking this but my doctor literally knows less about benzos than I do.

Thanks

Welcome!

With any benzo taper, the slower you go the better. It can be flat out dangerous, even deadly to stop a benzo abruptly, or even taper too quickly, or by too many mgs. You've done a great job with the taper to this point, but now I would taper lower and go a bit slower. I definitely would NOT jump from .25mg as that's still a hefy amount.

Do a google seqarch for the Ashton Manual. Dr. Heather Ashtom is the leading authority for all things Benz. Valuable info there that is sure to help you through this.

I would continue with the taper and reduce by as small amounts as possible until you're down to a crumb. The goal is to soften the landing and that is what will help the most.

Randy

Hi thanks for the reply.

I've read the ashton manual a bunch of times but unfortunately it doesn't have any information on short term tapers. Given I was only on the 1mg dose for 3 weeks, year long tapers don't really apply. But I can't seem to find any more information on short term or anyone with experience of it.

clinicalcounselor is offline New Member

Default This is dangerous

ANY benzodiazepine taper needs to be done under the watchful eye of a physician. A physician needs to be in the loop and needs to be the one to decide how to taper you. I would hope that you have been getting these prescribed by a psychiatrist and not a primary care physician because a primary care physician has no business writing meds that are dealing with mental health issues. Anyway, tapering from benzos can cause seizures and needs to be done under the supervision of a doctor. Please dont do this on your own.
    Life only gets better when YOU get better! Work on yourself...and the rest will follow!

The reason I am on these forums is because my physician said I could just come off after 3 weeks. I had to do it on my own because I knew that was dangerous. I have tried a few doctors and none seem to think it's any issue at all.

I appreciate your reply but I really need some helpful advice and all I can take from that is I should be very scared. Plus I have tapered down from 1mg to 0.25mg and I feel a little better, I just need help and advice on the last part no horror stories that are going spike my anxiety

Read the ashton manuel again and saw this "People who have been on low doses of benzodiazepine for a relatively short time (less than a year) can usually withdraw fairly rapidly". I mean 3 weeks is a lot less than a year and 1mg a day isn't a big dose from what I gather?

ailey89 is offline New Member

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I was wondering if you are off the Ativan already? I’m started taking Ativan about 2 years ago and took 2-3 mg a day for about 9 months and got down from 3 to 1 mg on my own and then for the past 7 months I’ve been taking 0.25 every day or second day but I still don’t feel like I’m ready to come off of it and I’m scared that if I come completely off it that I’ll be worse than I was.