Ativan withdrawal question... HELP!
    theodore1983 is offline New Member

Exclamation Ativan withdrawal question... HELP!

I have been on Ativan for 2.5 months with a max dose of 1mg a day for anxiety over a health concern. After about a month and half I decided that the ativan was giving me more anxiety and side like headaches, foggy brain, drowsiness, depression and not wanting to do anything. Once I started reducing my amount I started to feel better and better. I had never craved it or wanted more of it throughout this time. I am down to 1/8 of a pill three times a day for the past 5 days. My anxiety has gone down and I am sleeping better. I do have some struggles mainly in the am. I do take an advil pm to help me sleep.

Where do I go from here? Should I cut it again soon? or just go down to 2 1/8s a day and so forth? suggestions?

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by theodore1983 View Post
    I have been on Ativan for 2.5 months with a max dose of 1mg a day for anxiety over a health concern. After about a month and half I decided that the ativan was giving me more anxiety and side like headaches, foggy brain, drowsiness, depression and not wanting to do anything. Once I started reducing my amount I started to feel better and better. I had never craved it or wanted more of it throughout this time. I am down to 1/8 of a pill three times a day for the past 5 days. My anxiety has gone down and I am sleeping better. I do have some struggles mainly in the am. I do take an advil pm to help me sleep.

Where do I go from here? Should I cut it again soon? or just go down to 2 1/8s a day and so forth? suggestions?
    Just to be clear, you are currently taking 1/8 of a pill 3x/day? Are these 1mg pills? You've been at this dosage for the past 5 days? Before these past 5 days were you on the 1mg/day dose? Please be as specific as possible with your dosing history/schedule for the past 2.5 months? Update when you can?

I have .5mg pills. Ive never taken over 1mg a day. I first taking it at 1mg per day felt fine for about two weeks then I noticed a bunch of side effects like being drowsy all the time, generally felt unmotivated and my anxiety actually was getter worse along with morbid thoughts. I also have sweaty palms except in the evenings. Started cutting little by little 3 weeks ago. As I've begun tapering off I've started to be to fell more and more back to normal. Ive been having much better days recently but still notice I am not my happy normal self. I want off this stuff baaaad. 7 days ago I did a heavy cut. I am currently at 3x 1/8 per day of a .5mg pill for the last 7 days. I feel pretty stable, sometimes I have gotten bursts of shakiness 3 times they last about an hour. Im planning on chipping a 1/3 or a half off of each 1/8 dosage starting tonight. Does that seem reasonable?

I have .5mg pills. Ive never taken over 1mg a day. I first taking it at 1mg per day felt fine for about two weeks then I noticed a bunch of side effects like being drowsy all the time, generally felt unmotivated and my anxiety actually was getter worse along with morbid thoughts. I also have sweaty palms except in the evenings. Started cutting little by little 3 weeks ago. As I've begun tapering off I've started to be to fell more and more back to normal. Ive been having much better days recently but still notice I am not my happy normal self. I want off this stuff baaaad. 7 days ago I did a heavy cut. I am currently at 3x 1/8 per day of a .5mg pill for the last 7 days. I feel pretty stable, sometimes I have gotten bursts of shakiness 3 times they last about an hour. Im planning on chipping a 1/3 or a half off of each 1/8 dosage starting tonight. Does that seem reasonable?
    Sorry to be just getting back to you. I think you are doing great with the taper so far. The recommended taper for benzos is usually 5-10% every 7-10 days.

You can achieve the reductions more accurately by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method.

You'll want to taper slow enough to avoid or at least minimize any withdrawal symptoms. You can adjust the taper faster or slower depending on how you feel?

Just take it slow, you'll be off the Ativan with very little discomfort in no time! Keep us updated on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!

Default Edit

I have been at 1/16th x3 of a pill for the last 3 days! 6am 12pm and 8 pm. I have had some sort of headache about 2 hours after my am dose. They have been lessening in strength everyday! I start to feel my perfect normal self around 6pm! When would be a good time go ahead and jump off of it completely? I want to feel good again!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-22-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add info

I have been at 1/16th x3 of a pill for the last 3 days! 6am 12pm and 8 pm. I have had some sort of headache about 2 hours after my am dose. They have been lessening in strength everyday! I start to feel my perfect normal self around 6pm! When would be a good time go ahead and jump off of it completely? I want to feel good again!
    Just curious, how are you getting your dose that low? In my personal opinion you probably can just jump off now with not too much of a problem? If you wanted to play it safe then I would stay where you are for another few days then drop your dosing to twice a day for a week or so then drop your dose to once a day for a week and then jump off? Always when tapering, the slower the better! Entirely up to you of course? Keep us posted on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!

I am breaking the 1/8 in half! I'm prolly taking less than 3/16 a day! I took my last dose last night. 20 hours and doing well! I do have a slight headache though! No rebound anxiety as of yet! If I make it through the morning with out an issue I think I'll be clear of this devil medicine!

Hour 36! Had some shakes, headache and confusion. When will this all end?

Hour 36! Had some shakes, headache and confusion. When will this all end?
    I'm not sure, everyone is different? I would say if the withdrawal symptoms are too uncomfortable then I would get back on your dosing schedule and taper down more? Like I said before, the longer and slower the taper the better. Keep us updated? Take care... God bless us all!

Angry edit

At points I feel like I just need to flop/push around on the couch and grab ahold of something and squeeze it really tight! These will last for about a half an hour. I have had two of these episodes is that normal? I

My sweaty palms have subsided since stopping the Ativan.

m almost at the 48 hour mark. I don't think I want to start all over again.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.

blondie44 is offline New Member

Hi. I took less than 0.5mg per day of Ativan for 4 months for anxiety and it tok me 7 months to withdraw. I did a detailed microdose weekly withdrawlal plan and shared with my doctor. I took it 3x a day which was a challenge as the medication has to be refrigerated but I did it. It was an oral suspension first 0.5mg per 1ml, then 0.25mg per 1ml and finally 0.1mg per 1ml. I used a 1ml syringe. I felt some withdrawal through the 7 mths but a weekly microdose withdrawal was so much better than a larger percentage cut. I am having a bit of vertigo now right at the end. I had headaches and muscle shakes and tension as well a jaw tightness. But much less than with a faster taper. It might take you a year if you are on a higher dose but it is doable! Only once did I hold at the precious weeks dose. I stuck with my taper schedule and consulted with my doctor regularly. Tonight is my last dose. I am nervous but proud of myself. It can be done. Be kind to yourself. Small microdose cuts taken orally.

Ive been off of it for almost three months now. Still have head pressure anxiety and depression.. Not sure if its from the med withdrawal or thats just how I am. MY doc gave me a low dose of amytripolyne to help with sleep. It has been a miracle. Not sure if I want to keep taking it and have a problem with another medication..... Thoughts?

Ive been off of it for almost three months now. Still have head pressure anxiety and depression.. Not sure if its from the med withdrawal or thats just how I am. MY doc gave me a low dose of amytripolyne to help with sleep. It has been a miracle. Not sure if I want to keep taking it and have a problem with another medication..... Thoughts?
    You were not taking benzos for that long, if you've been off the ativan now for 3 months then most likely any symptoms that you're experiencing at this point are not related to the ativan withdrawal/detox?

I don't know much about the amitriptyline, you should definitely research that med so that you are well informed on exactly what you're taking, the possible side effects, interactions, etc...? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!