The ball and chain of a Clonazapam prescription, I want off this junk
    abinormal is offline New Member

Default The ball and chain of a Clonazapam prescription, I want off this junk

I have been prescribed 1mg a day of clonazapam for about 25 years. I have not felt any difference unless I "don't" take it, so I know I am addicted to it. I asked my doctor today, and she acted as if she knew very little about tapering off it, but I know a little at a time.

So, I am looking for long time users, and maybe of low dose like myself. I take it once in the a.m. and that's it, never abused the dosage, but tried once before to get off it, and found myself sick from withdrawals so I just started taking it again after about 2 weeks.

I want to get off it fast of course, but from what I read, it can take months, argggg! But it would be so wonderful not to have this insidious prescription filled all the time, and literally be free of any drugs, as it's the only one I've ever taken for a long time, or, addicted to.

Can someone give me some pointers that work the best, and possibly not feel sick as I need to continue working

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't want a substitute, or anything else, unless it's maybe a natural sleep aid like Melatonin?? I don't even know if I'll need that, or if it works. I'm 64, exercise, eat really well, and drink a lot of water, basically healthy, but I have Cervical Dystonia (sometimes called Spasmodic Torticolus) which this drug was originally prescribed for. I think I can live without the drug. I honestly don't think it helps me as much as I've learned to help myself, but after I am weaned off, I will know for sure.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
    I have been prescribed 1mg a day of clonazapam for about 25 years. I have not felt any difference unless I "don't" take it, so I know I am addicted to it. I asked my doctor today, and she acted as if she knew very little about tapering off it, but I know a little at a time.

So, I am looking for long time users, and maybe of low dose like myself. I take it once in the a.m. and that's it, never abused the dosage, but tried once before to get off it, and found myself sick from withdrawals so I just started taking it again after about 2 weeks.

I want to get off it fast of course, but from what I read, it can take months, argggg! But it would be so wonderful not to have this insidious prescription filled all the time, and literally be free of any drugs, as it's the only one I've ever taken for a long time, or, addicted to.

Can someone give me some pointers that work the best, and possibly not feel sick as I need to continue working

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't want a substitute, or anything else, unless it's maybe a natural sleep aid like Melatonin?? I don't even know if I'll need that, or if it works. I'm 64, exercise, eat really well, and drink a lot of water, basically healthy, but I have Cervical Dystonia (sometimes called Spasmodic Torticolus) which this drug was originally prescribed for. I think I can live without the drug. I honestly don't think it helps me as much as I've learned to help myself, but after I am weaned off, I will know for sure.
    Sorry, no fast way of doing this but it can be done! Luckily for you the klonopin you are taking has a long half-life which will be a bit easier to taper from than a fast acting benzo like xanax or ativan!

I left the following reply for a few different members, the same will apply for you as well -

When getting off of benzos slow and steady wins the race!

Taper your klonopin by 5-10% every 7-10 days. You can achieve the reductions by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method?

You'll want to taper slow enough to avoid or at least minimize any withdrawal symptoms. You can adjust the taper faster or slower depending on how you feel? I hope this helps? Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

PS
    I read your last post from August of 2014, it seems that you were trying to wean off back then? Please update on what happened from then until now?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-05-2017 at 08:38 AM.