been on xanax for 3 weeks,1.5-2.5 mg before bed. Is CT SAFE?
    Gotseven is offline New Member

Default been on xanax for 3 weeks,1.5-2.5 mg before bed. Is CT SAFE?

This whole thing started when I was having trouble sleeping. Due taking buprenorphine latei n the day, it would cause my mind to race and and sometimes it would taken 2-3 to go sleep. I started off with a little marijuana right before bed, and that worked wonders. I wouldn't smoke it during the day because I can't function high all the time and i noticed myself slowly getting lazier so I quit cold turkey and have been clean 94 days

What's more, the buprenorphine doctor started giving.me a hard time about the weed, so I tried melatonin. 3mg before bed. In short, it worked, but I think it screwed with my other hormones and caused me to gain weight and earn more.

Weed literally stays in my system for 90 days+ so I can't cheat the drug tests. I went on a search for a alternative that could be flushed from my system in 2-3 days. This lead me to xanax. I bought several off the street and started off taking 1mg at night before bed, that turned into 1.5, then 2.0, then 2.5. All in the span of 3 weeks.

I'm in college and have noticed the negative side effects off xanax such as lack of concentration and reduced sharpness and I guess what I'm asking is,

Since I've only been on xanax for 22 days (once before bed). give or take a day or two, would it be safe to just quit cold turkey? My buprenorphine doc has no idea and I intend to keep it that way. I have to travel very far to see him and if I told him I illegally took xanax, he would have me coming back every 2 weeks for my buprenorphine, and with my school schedule i just can't manage it.

I can function fine during the day without the xanax (I take 2.5 before bed for the past week, previously it was only 1.5mg)but today for the first time i had trouble concentrating. when I read some books I sometimes have to read the same paragraph 3 times to understand it. I've always been a little like that, but I believe the xanax has amplified my issue.

I'm wondering if the withdrawal effects won't be so severe since it's only been 3 weeks of use. Are supplements such as GABA a good idea? I may have a DT in 7 days so I don't really have time to wean and still keep it a secret.

Are there any natural supplements I can take to help with the withdrawal process if it does occur? I will continue my buprenorphine as prescribed but I've been able to kick weed cold turkey multiple times.

I have classes starting next week and I plan on locking up the remaining xanax I have and keep it for emergencies. I keep planning to do that but every time night rolls around I want to self reward myself for a day of hard work, so I take a bad, and one peach. It effects me, but no slurred speech, I'm just experiencing confusion a little.

Btw I weigh 258 and I'm 5"10. That's why it takes a bigger dose for me it seems. The first dose I ever took of 1.5 hit me like a rock and I had to take naps the next day. Now, even with 2.5mg, I don't even need naps. Although the xanax is probably worn off by the next day. I hear it's only effective for 22 hours max.

I read online that if I quit today, it should be out of my system 7days from now.

Thanks for any insight. You short term users can give me.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotseven View Post
    This whole thing started when I was having trouble sleeping. Due taking buprenorphine latei n the day, it would cause my mind to race and and sometimes it would taken 2-3 to go sleep. I started off with a little marijuana right before bed, and that worked wonders. I wouldn't smoke it during the day because I can't function high all the time and i noticed myself slowly getting lazier so I quit cold turkey and have been clean 94 days

What's more, the buprenorphine doctor started giving.me a hard time about the weed, so I tried melatonin. 3mg before bed. In short, it worked, but I think it screwed with my other hormones and caused me to gain weight and earn more.

Weed literally stays in my system for 90 days+ so I can't cheat the drug tests. I went on a search for a alternative that could be flushed from my system in 2-3 days. This lead me to xanax. I bought several off the street and started off taking 1mg at night before bed, that turned into 1.5, then 2.0, then 2.5. All in the span of 3 weeks.

I'm in college and have noticed the negative side effects off xanax such as lack of concentration and reduced sharpness and I guess what I'm asking is,

Since I've only been on xanax for 22 days (once before bed). give or take a day or two, would it be safe to just quit cold turkey? My buprenorphine doc has no idea and I intend to keep it that way. I have to travel very far to see him and if I told him I illegally took xanax, he would have me coming back every 2 weeks for my buprenorphine, and with my school schedule i just can't manage it.

I can function fine during the day without the xanax (I take 2.5 before bed for the past week, previously it was only 1.5mg)but today for the first time i had trouble concentrating. when I read some books I sometimes have to read the same paragraph 3 times to understand it. I've always been a little like that, but I believe the xanax has amplified my issue.

I'm wondering if the withdrawal effects won't be so severe since it's only been 3 weeks of use. Are supplements such as GABA a good idea? I may have a DT in 7 days so I don't really have time to wean and still keep it a secret.

Are there any natural supplements I can take to help with the withdrawal process if it does occur? I will continue my buprenorphine as prescribed but I've been able to kick weed cold turkey multiple times.

I have classes starting next week and I plan on locking up the remaining xanax I have and keep it for emergencies. I keep planning to do that but every time night rolls around I want to self reward myself for a day of hard work, so I take a bad, and one peach. It effects me, but no slurred speech, I'm just experiencing confusion a little.

Btw I weigh 258 and I'm 5"10. That's why it takes a bigger dose for me it seems. The first dose I ever took of 1.5 hit me like a rock and I had to take naps the next day. Now, even with 2.5mg, I don't even need naps. Although the xanax is probably worn off by the next day. I hear it's only effective for 22 hours max.

I read online that if I quit today, it should be out of my system 7days from now.

Thanks for any insight. You short term users can give me.
    Although you have only been taking the xanax for three weeks your dosage has been pretty high! It may or may not be dangerous to quit xanax cold turkey after only three weeks of use, that's hard to say for sure? There is definitely a risk of seizures when you stop xanax abruptly! You'll certainly experience some intense withdrawals from quitting the xanax cold turkey and for that reason alone I would taper fairly slowly!

My recommendation is to taper the xanax slowly and then stay off of it for good! Xanax/benzo addiction happens very quickly and is one of the worst meds to detox from!

I don't know your buprenorphine history but you should consider tapering off of that as well after you tackle the xanax detox?

Here's a link to Robert's sub taper plan -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Many, many people have used Robert's plan to successfully get off subs! You would skip the induction part of the plan but follow the rest of the plan as outlined.

Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Although you have only been taking the xanax for three weeks your dosage has been pretty high! It may or may not be dangerous to quit xanax cold turkey after only three weeks of use, that's hard to say for sure? There is definitely a risk of seizures when you stop xanax abruptly! You'll certainly experience some intense withdrawals from quitting the xanax cold turkey and for that reason alone I would taper fairly slowly!

My recommendation is to taper the xanax slowly and then stay off of it for good! Xanax/benzo addiction happens very quickly and is one of the worst meds to detox from!

I don't know your buprenorphine history but you should consider tapering off of that as well after you tackle the xanax detox?

Here's a link to Robert's sub taper plan -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Many, many people have used Robert's plan to successfully get off subs! You would skip the induction part of the plan but follow the rest of the plan as outlined.

Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Thanks for the reply.

I will let you know how it all works out. If I have trouble with sleep I'm gonna do a lot of exercise and use a little melatonin.

I'm reading the acute withdrawal phase is only about 2-3 days. I've been through much rougher withdrawals in the past (7 years ago) such as methadone which gave me flu like symptoms for 2 days after only 2 weeks use.

So you don't have any experience with GABA (over the counter herbal) or using it as a tool to help with withdrawal/sleep?

Thanks for the reply.

I will let you know how it all works out. If I have trouble with sleep I'm gonna do a lot of exercise and use a little melatonin.

I'm reading the acute withdrawal phase is only about 2-3 days. I've been through much rougher withdrawals in the past (7 years ago) such as methadone which gave me flu like symptoms for 2 days after only 2 weeks use.

So you don't have any experience with GABA (over the counter herbal) or using it as a tool to help with withdrawal/sleep?
    I assure you that benzo withdrawal is just as bad and most likely worse than methadone withdrawal! The thing that is in your favor is that you have only been taking the xanax for three weeks!

I don't know of anything that will help with benzo withdrawal that doesn't have it's own risks and repercussions?

Do extensive research before taking anything that you think may help with the xanax withdrawal? Some herbs and supplements can actually make things worse?

A slow taper is the best and safest route to take!

You can also research the Ashton Manual which is the leading authority on all benzos!

Just checking in, 3 days clean. No physical withdrawal but some negative and circular thoughts. The first 2 days were fine oddly, it's only on the third day I noticed some irregularities.

Reading helps immensely, as does the melatonin for sleep.

I Will continue to exercise and read to foster positivity, and your right, they dangerous. I wish I could have tapered but I just couldn't under my circumstances.

Everyone who reads this, follow the man's advice. I would love to see a taper guide for xanax as detailed as the buprenorphine guide you posted.

Will post back in a week

m4rt1nk is offline New Member

Gotseven,

Thanks for the update. I'm considdering a CT stop to only about 10 days of xanax use. The 10 days part doesn't worry me, it's that I started with a xanax dose of 12mg-16mg twice a day (24hrs) for 5 days. I wanted to knock myself out during the acute phase of my dope withdrawal, it was successful in that regard, but now I realize also very stupid. After day 5 I stopped taking it but roughly 3 days later I noticed I couldn't sleep a wink, and typically around day 7 of opiate WD I start catching 3-5 hours a sleep a night. My heart was also beating fast and felt like it was just pounding through my chest, so in the last few days I've taken 2mg - 4mg of xanax. I'm worried the signs I mentioned are signs of benzo dependency, but I would much rather CT and not slow taper just in case these are just lingering effects of opiate WD. I read all of the Ashton manual and nothing of my unique case is covered.

Anyways, not trying to hijack your thread, I was just encouraged by your success and wanted to share my situation.

Don't do a CT if you don't have to man. Also make sure you grab some melatonin, you can find it at Walmart. It's a vitamin supplement, and helps A LOT with calming the mind. Your gonna need it.

Yeah my head felt like it was on fire day 3 and 4. It's starting to subside a little now tho. I had trouble finding the words to write my papers. Hopefully since i was only on them for 3 weeks I will have a reduced detox timeline but that's wishful thinking on my part.

On opiod detox I would suggest a little buprenorphine. It won't help with the sleep, but may help some with aches and pains and won't put your body through such a shock.

I also Tried GABA supplement but it didn't do anything for me. That stuff is a joke.

Good luck. And yeah don't ever take that much again, or at all, that is a extremely high dose and you could have stopped breathing.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey m4rt1nk, I definitely would not coldturkey the Xanax, benzos whole different beast you will go through wds,and could have seizures. I recommend you reread your thread Ricky gave you some awesome advice. Be well

A update asking for advice.

I'm going through the worst part of the detox right now it seems. I'm Sweating profusely. Last night was rough going to bed but I took 2 3mg Melatonin and got 4-5 hours of sleep.

rather than erase my progresss and all this w/d for nothing, I'm hesitant to go back on them for taper.

Can someone please give me a estimation of how much longer the acute symptoms will last? As I said earlier, only 3 weeks of use but 1.5-2mg once before bed.

Sitting in front of a fan helps. Sitting down at a computer is unbearable tho.

I think I can soldier through if it's only a couple more days. Last dose was 05/10
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-15-2017 at 10:58 AM.

A update asking for advice.

I'm going through the worst part of the detox right now it seems. I'm Sweating profusely. Last night was rough going to bed but I took 2 3mg Melatonin and got 4-5 hours of sleep.

rather than erase my progresss and all this w/d for nothing, I'm hesitant to go back on them for taper.

Can someone please give me a estimation of how much longer the acute symptoms will last? As I said earlier, only 3 weeks of use but 1.5-2mg once before bed.

Sitting in front of a fan helps. Sitting down at a computer is unbearable tho.

I think I can soldier through if it's only a couple more days. Last dose was 05/10
    I really wish you would of did the slow taper but it is what it is now. Benzos especially xanax are no joke, they are nasty and the worst med to detox from!

No one is going to be able to give you an accurate time-line on when things will improve? I would guess and say ten days to two weeks but I could be way off?

Drink lots and lots of water to help flush your system. If the withdrawals get worse or are too intense then I would consider getting back on the xanax at the lowest effective dose to do a slow taper?

Also, you might be taking too much melatonin?
    "People commonly make the mistake of assuming that taking higher doses of melatonin will lead to better shut-eye. But the opposite is true: Too much taken at once can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, or irritability, all of which can disrupt your sleep."

"Between two tenths of a milligram and five milligrams 60 minutes before bedtime is a typical dose for adults. Too much melatonin can disrupt your sleep cycle, so start with the smallest dose of two tenths of a milligram and increase it as needed."

Keep us updated on everything? Take care... God bless us all!

I'm doing a lot better today.

Last night I got a little weed and that helped a lot with sleep and hunger.

Yesterday Morning (when I last posted) was pure hell. It felt like I was coming down from cocaine I swear, except it lasts a lot longer. As the day went by it let up a little, but I was still jacked up on what felt like andrenalin. Heart rate was high all day. I tried to walk the dog but my heart rate got up to 150 several times, it was hot outside too tho. Normally I'd be in the 105 BPM range and that's going hard climbs.

Today it was fine when I first woke up and then sped up a little. Came back down after a few hours. Now I feel half way normal. I'm hoping the worst is behind me. I'm still pissing dirty for xanax tho.

I think I was fine for the first couple of days because I still had xanax in my intestines. I am now able to study school again. Lesson learned that's for sure, I'm just glad I caught it in time. If it had been long acting benzo's like Valium, I'd be w/d for a lot longer.

Will post again tomorrow afternoon with a update.

On the melatonin I'm just taking 3mg

survivalist is offline Junior Member

On this high dosage of Xanax it been risky to quit, try lowering the dosage slowly and then it’s safe. God bless you.

Still doing good. Most of the acute symptoms are gone, but I can still feel my GABA part of my head burning a little, barely enough to notice but it's still present.

I didn't think 2mg per day was a high dose.

Also I didn't think 3 weeks would be long enough to form a physical dependency because of the drugs short half life, and by my estimates it was already out of my system by the following night since I was only dosing before bed., guess not.

Yeah I learned a lesson. Thanks everyone for your help, and hopefully I did not do any permanent damage.

I'll update one last time to let you know when I'm finally peeing clean again so you have a baseline for a person with a slow metabolism.

Shoutout to Ricky

Still doing good. Most of the acute symptoms are gone, but I can still feel my GABA part of my head burning a little, barely enough to notice but it's still present.

I didn't think 2mg per day was a high dose.

Also I didn't think 3 weeks would be long enough to form a physical dependency because of the drugs short half life, and by my estimates it was already out of my system by the following night since I was only dosing before bed., guess not.

Yeah I learned a lesson. Thanks everyone for your help, and hopefully I did not do any permanent damage.

I'll update one last time to let you know when I'm finally peeing clean again so you have a baseline for a person with a slow metabolism.

Shoutout to Ricky
    Good to hear that you are feeling better! Yeah, 2mg doesn't seem like much but just think, the starting dosage for xanax is usually .25mg (one quarter of one milligram)! Continue to drink lots of water to help flush your system and also to stay hydrated as subs have been known to cause dehydration. What are your future thoughts/plans regarding the subs (buprenorphine)? Take care... God bless us all!

I'm finally peeing clean, it took around 10 days total to leave my system. I feel like I'm back to 90% normal.

@ricky I'm not ready to make plans for my sub withdrawal. I've been on then for 5 years, down to about 4-6mg a day, but I haven't tried to get past that.

When I have time for 2-3 weeks of withdrawal I will try, but they give me energy, so it's doubtful I even want to stop. I am always reflecting upon my decisions so maybe one day I can quit.

I'll try that taper plan you posted when I do decide to quit tho.

Psilo65 is offline New Member

I am on a similar boat. I have been taking xanax for 18 of the last 25 days. Breaks in between of 1, 2 and 3 days. I didn't expect much in the form of withdrawal, but as i get into my second day i get an intense tightening in my stomach. I am a recovering opiate addict and am prescribed gabapentin for anxiety but made the HUGE mistake of using xanax for this duration. I experience my anxiety in my stomach so while i didn't use for a long time (varying doses of .5-1mg) this one symptom is completely debilitating for me. So bad that i couldn't take my gabapentin or b-vitamins (they really help with anxiety for me) because it would make my stomach even worse. I don't know what to do. Should i have tapered?? I didn't take any yesterday, but this morning i woke up with severe tightening in my gut and nausea and caved in and took .25 3x over the course of the morning but even then my stomach doesn't feel 100% normal. I have a very sensitive stomach. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

I feel so guilty for taking the xanax again. the rest of the symptoms are bearable for me except for this one.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-15-2017 at 06:42 PM.