Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin1960
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Clonazepam Taper After 9 Years Daily Use
    Kevin1960 is offline New Member

Default Clonazepam Taper After 9 Years Daily Use

Hi Everyone. I'm trying to stop Clonazepam after taking 1mg three times a day for about 9 consecutive years. My psychiatrist told me to reduce my dose by 0.5mg every 4 days. I have read enough to know that's way too fast. Bur I've also seen taper schedules that seem too slow. I asked about Valium substitution - Doc said no. The Ashton Manual have schedules with people going down to 1/4 mg of Valium - which seems ridiculous. So what's safe, relatively fast, but not eyernal? Was thinking of reducing by 0.25mg clonazepam every week or two. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    oldschnitzel likes this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I would reduce by no more than 10% every few days which your first reduction would be .3 mg or about a third of a tablet. The trouble with what your psychiatrist is telling you is that reducing by .5 mg every few days means the percent of the reduction keeps going up. The withdrawal will continue to get worse as that happens. You should keep the percent constant until you get pretty low. Yes the tiny doses at the end of Ashton type tapering do seem ridiculous but it really matters, you really do feel it at those tiny doses.

I'm glad you've checked into the Ashton Manual. You might find you don't have too many problems reducing by a fixed .25 every week or two. Not everyone needs to be as slow as the Ashton Manual suggests, it was written for people that have trouble reducing. But you have been on a pretty high dose for a very long time so I'd be cautious. I certainly think .25 a week is safe from the standpoint of seizures, but you also want to avoid uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1960 View Post
    Hi Everyone. I'm trying to stop Clonazepam after taking 1mg three times a day for about 9 consecutive years. My psychiatrist told me to reduce my dose by 0.5mg every 4 days. I have read enough to know that's way too fast. Bur I've also seen taper schedules that seem too slow. I asked about Valium substitution - Doc said no. The Ashton Manual have schedules with people going down to 1/4 mg of Valium - which seems ridiculous. So what's safe, relatively fast, but not eyernal? Was thinking of reducing by 0.25mg clonazepam every week or two. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Hello Kevin, you're right in thinking that the docs taper is too fast! You wouldn't really need to switch to valium because the klonopin has a pretty long half-life as is. I'd say 5-10% reduction every 4-5 days should be pretty comfortable? Listen to your body, you can adjust reductions and frequency as you see fit? It's really not a race when it comes to quitting benzos! I know you want to be done with this as fast as possible but at the same time you don't want to go too fast to where you're in a constant state of withdrawal! Good luck and keep us posted! We are here to help! Take care... God bless us all!
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

shawn156 is offline Member

I was always told to cut down by so much and let your body get adjusted to that dose then cut down again and continue to do that until you are off them. After you get down to one dose a day,it's good to start skipping a day. It's a long process and takes a lot to succeed so I wish you luck and hope you can get through to get off the pills.

Unicorn74 is offline Member

I agree that cutting by .5 every 4 days is WAY to fast, to not suffer from withdrawals. I just consulted my doctor about this same thing, Clonazepam withdrawal. She also said "no" to the Ashton Manual. What she suggested instead was a withdrawal that would take about two months for me. I am prescribed 1-2mgs/day. She said they make low dose Clonazepam tablets @ .125mgs. Her suggestion was to start off with a script of the .125's at the overall equivalent amount of what I take daily, then reduce by .125mg each week. Would your doc be willing to try this, instead?