Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
Diazepam+alcohol?
    diazbub is offline Banned

Default Diazepam+alcohol?

Hello forum, first post.

im 27 male, been using Lorazepam for 5 years or 6, not sure.
    at first i was taking this to sleep and get a buzz, it was prescribed to my grandmom but she never used it.
    i got to the point where i take 2 mg to sleep, sometimes 3mg in 24 hours period because the terrible job with wierd hours.

i didnt know the risks of this drug, at some point i stoped taking that amount and started to go to ER for diffrent reasons..

anyway, now im down to 0.75mg or 3/4.
    oh its obvious by now that my doctor prescribe me when i need more, no questions asked..

yasterday i came to him and asked him to prescribe me Diazepam and explained why, and he gave me Assival(same thing) 5mg.

now im wondering, if this have half life of 200 hours, how can one drink alcohol and be on this medication?

im used to drink vodka at weekends, about half a litre.

yasterday i took my first diazepam 2.5mg+ .5mg Lorazepam.

i wanna drink today, will it be dangerous? i read something that it takes few weeks to reach peak in blood level.
    what about drinking after 4 weeks of use of Diazepam? should i stop drinking if i gonna switch to diazapam?

and i have no idea how to switch to diazepam completly, i dont have a plan yet. how much time can it take?

thanks for taking the time to read, and sorry english is not my native language.

Qwertyxox is offline New Member

Mixing half a liter of vodka with benzos is ill advised. It sounds like you have more of a substance abuse problem than just a benzos problem. Have you considered counseling for addiction?

i mixed a few times but im trying to avoid it.
    my question was about that diazepam, since it lasting 200 hours or something..
    i just took 2.5mg yasterday. from what i've read its a low dose.
    yeah i abused the benzos before. im trying to withdraw now..
    i think i have a alcohol problem but im not alcoholic. its just kinda habbit and lifestyle but it can be changed..
    i quit smoking 3 months ago(after 11 years). started NoFap 1 month ago(after 14 years)(u should google if u dont know what it is) so i do have a will power to stop drinking. i already gave up on 2 addictions and the benzo is my 3rd addiction and im trying to stop it.

Qwertyxox is offline New Member

Yes, it can be dangerous to mix alcohol and ANY benzos, especially large quantities of vodka.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-26-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

You are on about .75 mg of lorazepam per day, correct? And you want to transition to the diazepam. The conversion is about 10 to 1.

This means .75 mg lorazepam is equivalent to 7.5 mg diazepam. Therefore yesterday you took the correct dose:

2.5 mg diazepam = .25 lorazepam
    .25+.5 = .75 Therefore 2.5 diazepam + .5 lorazempam is equivalent to .75 lorazepam

If you want to switch completely over to diazepam you can continue the substitution by .25 mg but wait for a few days between, if you like.

Example:
    Week 1: stay at 2.5 diazepam + .5 lorazepam
    Week 2: 5 diazepam + .25 lorazepam
    Week 3 and beyond: 7.5 diazepam

You don't have to wait a whole week between changes but generally the more slowly you make a change with benzos the better. I recommend at least 2 or 3 days between changes.

Do you want to stay on the diazepam or did you ask the doctor to switch you to diazepam so you could slowly taper off? If you want to taper off then you are doing the correct thing: diazepam is better for tapering, because it has a longer half-life.

If you transition completely to 7.5 mg diazepam per day then you want to taper from that slowly. Every few days reduce by only a small amount, and reduce over several weeks.

This is a pretty low dose of diazepam but even low doses when mixed with alcohol can be dangerous. This is because both the alcohol and diazepam each intensify the effects of the other. Yes, I think it is a good idea to not drink anything at all while on any benzo.

But you are making a lot of very big changes in your life. Giving up smoking, the NoFap program, reducing your lorazepam dose. So to give up drinking also, yes I believe you have the willpower to do it. But beware when you deprive yourself of too many things too quickly, you risk relapse from feeling deprived. So be thoughtful and gradual with your changes. I would say that at all costs you want to avoid going back to smoking. This may have been the most healthy change you are making.

If you give up alcohol and benzo (lorazepam or diazepam) completely, you can expect to have some symptoms for a few weeks. Trouble sleeping, increased anxiety. These are temporary and will improve but they can tempt you to return to the substances so try to keep in mind that these will get better with time. In the long run you will probably be happier without these substances. But you might need some support in the meantime. Your brain will need to learn a new "normal" to living without them.
    Randy35 and diazbub like this.

Wow thanks for this reply..
    itold the doctor i want to switch because the longer it stayes in the body and i have less anxiety.
    at first he told me to not take 1 pill after 2 days of taking it, and then take 1 day and 1 dayt off.. he didnt understand what i was going through, he just gives prescriptions with no problem..
    i want to taper off slowly..

what if i stop drinking heavy on weekends but drink only beer? i have a very anoying symptom lately which is i sweat too much from the armpits lol, sometimes alot and sometimes i dont. i dont know if caffeine amplify it or not or its the abscence of alcohol or abscence of benzo..
    i already suffer with sleep and anxiety but im determined to stop to use this >>>>
    lol u can add to the mix the latest break up with gf that added to my depression

I do meditation lately with this Headspace program to help me stay relaxed and focused and maybe find my purpose in life lol..

thanks again for the reply, the example is great help that i needed.
    i almost gave up and started smoking again but i will try my best not to, my only problem is when i drink i tend to want to smoke, and smoetimes i do, but next morning i dont want to smoke
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2018 at 01:22 AM.

I assume he is not thinking in terms of cutting the pills to get precise doses. If you want to taper off slowly, you can do so much more comfortably by being very precise with your dosing, and by dividing doses. With diazepam once per day is usually sufficient. Some people divide it further and dose twice per day. Toward the very end of your taper (if you get down to 2.5 mg per day, or if you cut it to even smaller doses than that), then you can start skipping days.

No, more below.

YES! The sweating most definitely can be both the alcohol and the benzo (lorazepam). Both these, after you have been using them for several months or years, will cause you to have these symptoms whenever you have gone too long without them. SLEEP PROBLEMS, ANXIETY, SWEATING are all related to withdrawal syndromes from these two substances. The very best thing you can do to be cured of these is to stop both of them.

However, you can't stop them suddenly or you are at risk of seizures. In fact, our advice to not drink while taking any benzo should have come with the qualifier that if you are a daily drinker of high amounts, you should be under professional care if you stop suddenly (cold turkey) because that can be very dangerous. However if you only drink on the weekends then you should be okay and not be in danger of seizures. But in between weekends when you don't drink, you might be having some withdrawal symptoms.

Because the lorazepam is a shorter acting benzo than diazepam, some of your past symptoms may be "interdose withdrawal" from that also. You should find that after you are completely switched to the diazepam, some of these symptoms will improve.

But if you stop drinking altogether during this time, the symptoms may get worse for a while. That is normal. In fact, that is what I would advise. I do not think it is a good idea to switch to beer. Beer has carbs and you can put on weight more easily. The alcohol in beer is no safer once you correct for volume.

Yes, caffeine can also contribute to these, best to limit to one cup of coffee per day (zero if you can stand it) and NO soda. Soda is horrible because of the sugar. Sugar spikes and crashes also do not help. If you get off coffee, taper that too or you'll get a horrible headache.

This is a vulnerable time for you. The breakup is adding to your stress. People use alcohol or pills or cigarettes to feel temporarily better but it really backfires in the long run. You end up much, much worse. I think the meditation is a great idea. Do some kind of exercise or sport, hobby, anything that will keep you active and distracted.

I think your sweating and anxiety symptoms are a clue that you have become physically dependent on the benzo and the alcohol. This is a warning sign. Physical dependence gets stronger with time and it becomes harder and harder to stop. But you seem very focused and under control right now so I understand what you mean when you say you are not an alcoholic, but you have a problem. That's an apt description of this borderline state. You can still walk away from it now. If you continue using both these things, eventually you will no longer be able to control them and walk away from them. I think you are making a very wise decision to get off the benzo, and I think you should probably make the same decision for the alcohol.

When you drink it makes you almost smoke again is another reason alcohol is bad for you. When you do one of these things, it will encourage you to do others. Best to stay away from all of them. Some of your symptoms could also be effects of stopping smoking. Understand that while you taper off, you might continue to feel bad for a time. This is normal. It might take several weeks or even months after you are completely off the diazepam and alcohol and cigarettes before you begin to sleep well, and stop having anxiety attacks. But it slowly gets better. You have good days and bad days, but eventually the good days are more frequent and the bad times less frequent.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    diazbub likes this.

I'm down to 4mg Diazepam a day. and from my calculation im suppossed to withdraw from them in less than a month!

about the symptoms.. i dont feel any severe to my surprize. i stoped dripping sweat from the armpits. i sleep actually better. i excercise regulary, eating less than my body needs so i will drop weight and on low carbs diet.[/quote]

If you have had no alcohol for the past 30 days and you have stopped the dripping sweat from armpits, I think that is strong proof that you were experiencing symptoms from alcohol dependence, and a very strong warning sign that you should not drink AT ALL. Becoming physically dependent means your brain's neurotransmitters have actually changed, and it means if you drink only a little your brain will recognize the substance like an old friend and it will try to make you continue to drink. Taking one drink will weaken your will to avoid it the next day and the next. You have made incredibly great progress, and I think you should stay on this great path!

Exercise is great, so glad you are doing that. Low carb is wonderful! Eating less than your body needs however is good for calorie count but you need to be sure you are not eating "less" of the nutrients you need. When you eat things of low calories, they should be dense nutritionally. Good fats from fish and from fatty plants such as coconut, avocado or nuts and seeds, and vitamins from organ meats and fruit and vegetables.

Your withdrawal from diazepam should go well as long as you don't go too quickly. Dose reductions now may not be bad, but as you get lower and lower, you may begin to have symptoms from dose reductions. If that happens, stay at the dose as long as it takes to get stable before you reduce again. It is more important to let your symptoms be your guide than to follow a strict schedule.

I think these are all excellent. I haven't had personal experience with Rhodiola though, so just monitor yourself. If it helps, use it, if it doesn't or if you have side effects, no reason to continue spending money on it. But the omega 3 and magnesium you should stick with. It is very common to have deficits in these nutrients in the modern world. They can't hurt and are likely doing you good.

I'm a gamer myself so I'm not going to criticize that, ha ha ha!! My personal opinion is that people do need something to do that is fun, relaxing, and not physically harmful. That last is the key, if you sit in a chair too long and if you get pain in your hands and wrists or back from playing too long, then you know you are overdoing it. Take frequent breaks to walk around or do some exercise and be sure your time playing does not interfere with your important relationships. A healthy balance in other words.

I realize that part of what you are doing is a sort of will power challenge. People do PMO for different reasons and you are trying to also apply that aesthetic to other areas of your life. Giving up PMO, alcohol, diazepam, cigarettes, a girlfriend, computer gaming (you haven't given up GTA but you calling it an addiction tells me you view it as another weakness of your willpower) , all of this, tells me that you want to purify, and you want to be mentally strong and mentally controlled. This is all very good, especially where the substances are concerned (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs) because those are the three that can have extremely dangerous affects to your health, those things can take you to places you do not want to go. Liver transplants, limb amputations, and of course an early death. So your strong will is a great tool to rid your life of those dangers. I cannot say what is best for you but I suggest you look to yourself to see if applying that same willpower and purification to ALL other areas of your life is really the best or are you doing it for inappropriate reasons? For example, making your whole life about self denial can in itself be a form of addiction. You can get addicted to the feeling of ridding your whole life of anything that is fun.

An example that is NOT you but something that I will use in illustration is anorexia nervosa. These people feel they do not deserve to eat, and they literally purge themselves of nutritious food. YOU are purging yourself of bad things (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs) and that is wonderful. But be careful that the other things you are denying yourself are for a really good reason. For some people PMO can be a terrible addiction and can be damaging, can ruin their marriages, cause them to get STDs and so on. If this is you then yes you must avoid that also. If it is for religious reasons that too is a good reason. But if it is because you feel you do not deserve any pleasure in life, this is not a good reason. Same for GTA. We all DESERVE fun and pleasure. I cannot make these judgments for you, only you can look inside and see the reasons you are doing these things and decide which are right. But I will tell you that everyone needs to loosen up in some way or other, you cannot be rigidly controlled in all areas of life for the wrong reasons. Maybe the things you relax and get pleasure from are hobbies you haven't even discovered yet, or your exercise. There is no right or wrong in these other things, you must decide. But the alcohol, cigarettes and drugs, I can tell you those are wrong for you and you should continue to apply your strong willpower to avoid those three.

Not a good idea. I appreciate that you may have social situations where everyone is expected to drink. This is an opportunity to use your thoughtful mind to find ways to let others know that you prefer not to drink alcohol anymore. There is no situation where you are forced to drink against your will, correct? A polite no thank you to the drinks are what you should do. It may be outside your comfort zone to do this. We have friends and relationships where we are expected to do what the group does. It helps us identify with our friends and loved ones to do like they do, or with clients in some business situations. Think about these things and realize that you have boundaries, you are yourself with a boundary, and you can make unique decisions for yourself. Understand you will feel uncomfortable about it, but accept that, and know you are doing the right thing for your own future health.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    diazbub likes this.