Didn’t know what I was getting into. Ativan cold turkey
    Kristin4 is offline New Member

Unhappy Didn’t know what I was getting into. Ativan cold turkey

Hi everyone
    I had a total knee replacement done 12/20/2017
    I was given Percocet for pain.
    Then my incision opened. I was extremely anxious, couldn’t sleep.
    I was prescribed 1mg Ativan/ twice a day.
    I ended up taking 2 at night to sleep. Then I was able to start Pt once my incision healed. My surgeon recommended taking an extra Ativan before pt.
    So, 3- 1 mg Ativan a day.

I didn’t know you can withdrawal from it. I stopped taking it 3 days ago. Yesterday day was the worst. Every withdrawal symptom except the seizures, but I’m sure I was going to start any minute. The worst 3 days of my life. I gave in and took a half around 7:30 last night. Then, a whole before bed (9:30pm). I woke up at 3am with heart palpitations. Nervousness etc... at 7:30 am I took a 1/4 just to stop it. Then took a whole at 9:30am.

I want off this >>>>. I need to find out how I should get back on it and how long to stay there and then start the taper. I’m going to my gp today. I pray he will allow me to switch to valium to make it easier.
    I am such a mess. I’ve never been through anything like this and never want to again!

Kristin4 is offline New Member

Okay my dr wants me to switch to 5mg valium at am and 10mg at pm. He said to just switch over. Won’t that cause withdrawal symptoms? Will my brain accept valium in place of Ativan all at one time? He wouldn’t listen to me about the 1mg Ativan equivalent to 10mg valium. He said 30mg of valium will kill me. So right off the bat I’ll be decreasing by a huge amount. I don’t want another day like yesterday. I have some Ativan left. Can I do half Ativan half valium at night and same in the am? Then by a week be switched to all valium? I see him again in 2 weeks. He wants me to cut back until I see him.

Please. I need suggestions.