Doctor Just Dropped Me With No Warning....
    RighteousNixon is offline New Member

Default Doctor Just Dropped Me With No Warning....

Just when I think things can't get any worse (I have been having a LOT of health problems), my doctor of roughly 4 1/2 years just dropped me with no warning whatsoever. From what the lady at the front desk told me, who I am on very friendly terms with, he has dropped like 15 of his patients in the last couple of months as he is basically getting rid of patients who are on pain medication due to the crackdown of the government on writing pain scripts. I guess he already has a couple strikes against him from previous patients and he doesn't want to risk losing his license. I have been on the Fentanyl patch for roughly 12 years now and have been on Xanex for the last 16 months. I have followed my pain contract to the letter. I have never run out early, have gotten all my scripts filled at the same pharmacy, and have never even been late to an appointment. I basically have 3 days left of medication and then I will be going cold turkey off of Xanex and Fentanyl at the same time. I am pretty much freaking out right now!!

I know there isn't anything anyone can do, but I was hoping that some people on here might be able to give me some advice in regards to wether or not there is anything you can do to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Is there any over the counter medications that might help, even if its just a little bit. I told my doctor that it was dangerous cutting people off of Xanex cold turkey, especially considering I have a known cardiac condition (I have a moderate to severe case of Mitral Valve Prolapse), but he didn't care. He was incredibly cold, pretty much to the point of being rude. I kept asking him what I did that would deserve this type of treatment. I even told him that I have no problem if he doesn't want to see me anymore, but he could have at least given me some warning so I had time to find a replacement doctor and his response to that was "Don't even go there with me". I was just in shock the entire appointment. I know all of my drug tests came back negative as I don't do any drugs and don't even drink or smoke (even having 1 beer while on the Fentanyl patch makes me incredibly sick). This is the doctor who owns the practice and I only saw him like 5-6 times over the last 4 years. He was the doctor that first accepted me into the practice, but I saw another doctor who worked under him most of the time. Unfortunately, he wound up getting married and moves out of state so I had to start seeing the main doctor at the practice and on my first appointment with him in like 12 months, he basically booted me out the door.

I am just in shock right now and again, really freaking out in regards to whats to come. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RighteousNixon View Post
    Just when I think things can't get any worse (I have been having a LOT of health problems), my doctor of roughly 4 1/2 years just dropped me with no warning whatsoever. From what the lady at the front desk told me, who I am on very friendly terms with, he has dropped like 15 of his patients in the last couple of months as he is basically getting rid of patients who are on pain medication due to the crackdown of the government on writing pain scripts. I guess he already has a couple strikes against him from previous patients and he doesn't want to risk losing his license. I have been on the Fentanyl patch for roughly 12 years now and have been on Xanex for the last 16 months. I have followed my pain contract to the letter. I have never run out early, have gotten all my scripts filled at the same pharmacy, and have never even been late to an appointment. I basically have 3 days left of medication and then I will be going cold turkey off of Xanex and Fentanyl at the same time. I am pretty much freaking out right now!!

I know there isn't anything anyone can do, but I was hoping that some people on here might be able to give me some advice in regards to wether or not there is anything you can do to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Is there any over the counter medications that might help, even if its just a little bit. I told my doctor that it was dangerous cutting people off of Xanex cold turkey, especially considering I have a known cardiac condition (I have a moderate to severe case of Mitral Valve Prolapse), but he didn't care. He was incredibly cold, pretty much to the point of being rude. I kept asking him what I did that would deserve this type of treatment. I even told him that I have no problem if he doesn't want to see me anymore, but he could have at least given me some warning so I had time to find a replacement doctor and his response to that was "Don't even go there with me". I was just in shock the entire appointment. I know all of my drug tests came back negative as I don't do any drugs and don't even drink or smoke (even having 1 beer while on the Fentanyl patch makes me incredibly sick). This is the doctor who owns the practice and I only saw him like 5-6 times over the last 4 years. He was the doctor that first accepted me into the practice, but I saw another doctor who worked under him most of the time. Unfortunately, he wound up getting married and moves out of state so I had to start seeing the main doctor at the practice and on my first appointment with him in like 12 months, he basically booted me out the door.

I am just in shock right now and again, really freaking out in regards to whats to come. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi There -

Man that doctor sure is cruel and shows no compassion whatsoever. You're in a real tough spot and I sure hope you can get something going. CT'ing the Fentanyl, but as you stated CT'ing off the Xanax is just plain dangerous and can cause horrific problems. If I were you I would be on the phone trying to find another doctor ASAP. Ask family and friends for referrals and who they see as a doctor. Tell them this is an emergency and hopefully you can get in somewhere immediately. If not I would go to the ER and explain what happened. They will probably think you're a drug seeking patient, but a review of your pharmacy records should show them you are not.

As for treating the wd symptoms that are sure to be rough there really isn't going to be much available for that combo of drugs. Sorry. The mental anguish is going to be the hardest part to deal with. I feel terrible for you. Just make sure you stay hydrated by drinking lots of water, gatorade, and/or protein shakes, etc. Any of the B vitamins would be a good thing to take. You'll probably be sweating and have cold spells too. Hot baths and showers will really help. Try not to sit around the house watching the clock. That's no good. As hard as it will be you'll need to get out of the house as much as possible. It will help.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this when you did nothing wrong. Get on that phone and hopefully you'll have good news for us.

Take care and best wishes,

Randy

RighteousNixon is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Hi There -

Man that doctor sure is cruel and shows no compassion whatsoever. You're in a real tough spot and I sure hope you can get something going. CT'ing the Fentanyl, but as you stated CT'ing off the Xanax is just plain dangerous and can cause horrific problems. If I were you I would be on the phone trying to find another doctor ASAP. Ask family and friends for referrals and who they see as a doctor. Tell them this is an emergency and hopefully you can get in somewhere immediately. If not I would go to the ER and explain what happened. They will probably think you're a drug seeking patient, but a review of your pharmacy records should show them you are not.

As for treating the wd symptoms that are sure to be rough there really isn't going to be much available for that combo of drugs. Sorry. The mental anguish is going to be the hardest part to deal with. I feel terrible for you. Just make sure you stay hydrated by drinking lots of water, gatorade, and/or protein shakes, etc. Any of the B vitamins would be a good thing to take. You'll probably be sweating and have cold spells too. Hot baths and showers will really help. Try not to sit around the house watching the clock. That's no good. As hard as it will be you'll need to get out of the house as much as possible. It will help.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this when you did nothing wrong. Get on that phone and hopefully you'll have good news for us.

Take care and best wishes,

Randy
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, the ER already thinks I am crazy as I have been in there WAY too much the last few years, although never to get any medications. I have been having severe stomach problems and nobody can figure out what is wrong. Have had 3 stomach scopes and a colonoscopy and they just can't figure it out. I really can't even eat food anymore. I basically live on Orgain Protein shakes. When my stomach gets really bad I wind up having to go in and get some relief in the ER, usually with the drinks that numb your stomach. I actually just found out that you can actually get a script for those drinks and was going to request that my doctor write me for some, but I never got that far before being booted. So I am not sure how helpful they will wind up being in the ER given how much i have been seen in there the last couple years. Might be better to just start going to a new hospital, lol. I was also seen a lot for my heart as I was having a lot of chest pain and tachycardia, and they didn't refer me to a heart doctor until I had been seen in the ER like 6-7 times.

Anyways, since I am coming off anyways, I tried going all day today without either medication and I honestly have no clue how I am going to get through this, and at least remain partial sane. Just a few hours of that level of misery and I was ready to go insane. The worst part about it is the pain I was taking the patches for to begin with just comes back like a freight train, before the withdrawals even get really bad. Then you add the withdrawals on top of that pain and again, I really have no clue how I am going to get through this. And I was having really bad chest pain halfway through the day. I just can't believe that doctors aren't held accountable to some extent for the safety of their patients when they willingly prescribe these medications. The doctors make sure we follow the pain contract, but there should be a contract i reverse that guarantee's the doctor isn't going to do what he did to me. As you said, its just cruel, especially when I didn't do anything wrong.

Anyways, I really do appreciate the advice. My sister is really concerned and she was calling around to different doctors for me today as I was just too sick to do anything. Maybe I will find a savior at the last minute, but I am not betting on it. Given the climate right now in regards to pain meds, ad Xanex for that matter, I am not confident that I will find a doctor willing to take me on. And this certainly isn't helping with my anxiety.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-14-2018 at 02:26 AM.