Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Doctor yanked me from Klonopin cold turkey....Is this malpractice? Negligence?
    MissKurly is offline Junior Member

Angry Doctor yanked me from Klonopin cold turkey....Is this malpractice? Negligence?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and this is my first post....I am terrified.....My psych had me on 3mg klonopin daily.....I started on Klonopin 3 years ago, and at first was on just .5mg/day....Over the past three years my dose has been gradually increased to 3mg Klon/day....I am also on Wellbutrin, Clomipramine, Thorazine, and Trazodone.....When I first started the Klonopin, I was not told how horrific the withdrawals were from benzo drugs when I was first started on Klon...I know I should have educated myself at the beginning, but unfortunately did not until recently...........I have been on the 3 mg klon for almost 2 years now......At my appointment on Friday my psych said no more klonopin because she though I had been on it long enough....I have never filled it early, or doctor-shopped, or anything of that nature..........Luckily I have enough for about 2 more days, but after that will be totally out........She gave me no advice on how to deal with the withdrawals I will soon be experiencing.........I am so scared........Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?....I feel like what she did was malpractice, or at least negligence......Can I report her, and if so, to whom should I report?.....I have heard that death is possible from cold-turkey benzo withdrawal......Please help!!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Did you protest at the time and did she refuse to reconsider? If not, if it were me, after a day or two when I felt bad withdrawal I'd simply call her and tell her I'm having severe panic and anxiety (which will be true) and may I please get back on the Klonopin?

Did she change the doses of any of the other drugs? Did she mean to switch you to a different benzo and forget to give you the script? Any other possible misunderstanding?

I would not report her for malpractice yet. I'd try to work it out with her. If she doesn't budge, I'd get a different psychiatrist. Then report her.
    Iwantoff2013 and Iluv2smile like this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Did you protest at the time and did she refuse to reconsider? If not, if it were me, after a day or two when I felt bad withdrawal I'd simply call her and tell her I'm having severe panic and anxiety (which will be true) and may I please get back on the Klonopin?

Did she change the doses of any of the other drugs? Did she mean to switch you to a different benzo and forget to give you the script? Any other possible misunderstanding?

I would not report her for malpractice yet. I'd try to work it out with her. If she doesn't budge, I'd get a different psychiatrist. Then report her.
    MissKurly - agreed with the above post! This is absolutely insane that any doctor would do that especially a psych doctor! Do what you need to do to get back on the Klonopin or at least something equivalent! There is only one safe way to quit benzos and that is a very slow and steady taper of 5-10% every week or so? Do yourself a favor, google search and educate yourself with "The Ashton Manual"... I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us updated? God bless us all!

PS
    Maybe the Wellbutrin and/or the Trazodone will offset some of the Klonopin withdrawal but I'm not so sure?

Yes, I did protest and say that benzo withdrawal is done best by tapering, and then I said "if you want me to get off Klonopin, we could work out a tapering schedule"....She did not reconsider.......Did not change dosage of any of the other drugs, either......No, she didn't offer any other kind of benzo, and acted very cold towards me...........I thought about it last night, and when I start feeling withdrawals, which I will probably tomorrow, since I only have one more dose to take tonight, I'm going to call office and ask for the Klonopin..................If she still refuses to to give me any, I'm going to tell her I'll have to go to ER.....I have heard that hospitals do a very rapid withdrawal, and then just give you an anti-seizure med to make sure you don't seize, so I would prefer not to do a hospital withdrawal, but if I have to, I guess I will, because at least I'll have a better chance of surviving this..........My hubby is very worried, and my pharmacist, which I have been dealing with for many years, was horrified and said she should loose her license...That was his opinion......So I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow............I'll keep you updated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    MissKurly - agreed with the above post! This is absolutely insane that any doctor would do that especially a psych doctor! Do what you need to do to get back on the Klonopin or at least something equivalent! There is only one safe way to quit benzos and that is a very slow and steady taper of 5-10% every week or so? Do yourself a favor, google search and educate yourself with "The Ashton Manual"... I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us updated? God bless us all!

PS
    Maybe the Wellbutrin and/or the Trazodone will offset some of the Klonopin withdrawal but I'm not so sure?
    Yes, after doing some looking I found the Ashton Manual.....I would be willing to do a slow taper like the manual suggests....But if she won't give me any benzo to taper with, I'll have to go to hospital ER and tell them what's going on....Maybe they can even refer me to new psych.....I just don't get it why she would do something like this....Maybe she's going through a rough time in her life, but that isn't a valid excuse for what she did.......Once I get a new pysch, I am going to report her for this.....I guess we'll see tomorrow what she does.....In the meantime today and tonight, I'll be a nervous wreck............I'll have to look up the other drugs I'm taking in detail and see if they could help......

Update as of today.....Called dr's office and she still will not give me the Klonopin.....I spoke with her nurse about it and said I had one more dose for tonight......Nurse said I could expect to start feeling withdrawals at some point tomorrow afternoon since Klon is a relatively long-acting benzo, and to be prepared to go to hospital ER tomorrow since I will probably be having seizures if I don't get an anti-seizure med........Also asked nurse why this dr who I've been seeing 3 years would all of a sudden pull me from a benzo cold turkey......Nurse said she really didn't think that was proper medical protocol, but she couldn't do anything about it.......Asked if I could get some Klonopin from one of the other psychs, but no dice on that either, because they won't prescribe for other drs patients.....So here I am....Hubby is taking day off tomorrow so he can take me to ER.....After that I suppose I will be pushed into hell by rapid hospital detox......So scared....Probably will not sleep a wink tonight.....I am definitely going to contact a lawyer about this if I live through it....Will update again when I can......Looking for some support and reassurance tonight........Thanks..

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissKurly View Post
    Update as of today.....Called dr's office and she still will not give me the Klonopin.....I spoke with her nurse about it and said I had one more dose for tonight......Nurse said I could expect to start feeling withdrawals at some point tomorrow afternoon since Klon is a relatively long-acting benzo, and to be prepared to go to hospital ER tomorrow since I will probably be having seizures if I don't get an anti-seizure med........Also asked nurse why this dr who I've been seeing 3 years would all of a sudden pull me from a benzo cold turkey......Nurse said she really didn't think that was proper medical protocol, but she couldn't do anything about it.......Asked if I could get some Klonopin from one of the other psychs, but no dice on that either, because they won't prescribe for other drs patients.....So here I am....Hubby is taking day off tomorrow so he can take me to ER.....After that I suppose I will be pushed into hell by rapid hospital detox......So scared....Probably will not sleep a wink tonight.....I am definitely going to contact a lawyer about this if I live through it....Will update again when I can......Looking for some support and reassurance tonight........Thanks..
    I don't usually chime in on things I haven't experienced. But I do have a tad insight into this.. My mom tried to do a fast taper off of Klonopin and it wasn't pretty. She physically was jerking so badly (trying to hold her arms from moving) that her therapist insisted she go to an ER.

This is not acceptable! Even if she tried to wean you and you didn't listen. Which I read above didn't happen. She is literally causing you physical harm. You simply must go to the ER tomorrow and tell them it all. Honestly. Openly without shame or guilt..

My mom did it by choice. Her doctor was shocked to know she would do it. Shame on your Doctor! Shame shame.

Sending you strength and prayers for tomorrow.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

This just sux and definitely is not right! The ER will most certainly give you some sort of anti-seizure med! Do you have a GP/family doctor to talk to about this?

I've asked Randy to stop by your thread, he may have some advice for you regarding the situation you are in? Hang in there... God bless us all!

This is just really, really fishy. If she will not give you a straight answer why she is doing this (you've been on it long enough is not acceptable) I would ask another doctor, or a pharmacist, to look at your record in your state's prescription monitoring program, if you have one in your state, or call them yourself. In my state you are entitled to get a copy of the data they are keeping on you. Possibly someone has stolen your identity and bought drugs under your name. Or possibly some other person with your same name got their record mixed up with yours. If it shows up that you "bought" some controlled substance not prescribed by her, I can see her cutting you off of scheduled substances cold turkey, but that is the only circumstance and if that is what happened she should do you the courtesy of telling you. Absent that, it sounds like pure lunacy. The pharmacist and the doctor's own nurse agree it's nuts. If it were me I'd already be looking for another psychiatrist, and composing my letter to the Medical Board.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

This is just really, really fishy. If she will not give you a straight answer why she is doing this (you've been on it long enough is not acceptable) I would ask another doctor, or a pharmacist, to look at your record in your state's prescription monitoring program, if you have one in your state, or call them yourself. In my state you are entitled to get a copy of the data they are keeping on you. Possibly someone has stolen your identity and bought drugs under your name. Or possibly some other person with your same name got their record mixed up with yours. If it shows up that you "bought" some controlled substance not prescribed by her, I can see her cutting you off of scheduled substances cold turkey, but that is the only circumstance and if that is what happened she should do you the courtesy of telling you. Absent that, it sounds like pure lunacy. The pharmacist and the doctor's own nurse agree it's nuts. If it were me I'd already be looking for another psychiatrist, and composing my letter to the Medical Board.
    Pretty sure most of us concur! This is unusual. My mom did the taper on her own and her psychiatrist was simply beside himself because he knew what would/could happen. You definitely need to be very strong and advocate for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingstorm View Post
    Sending you strength and prayers for tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for your support.....It's much appreciated.....

This just sux and definitely is not right! The ER will most certainly give you some sort of anti-seizure med! Do you have a GP/family doctor to talk to about this?

I've asked Randy to stop by your thread, he may have some advice for you regarding the situation you are in? Hang in there... God bless us all!
    Thank you, Ricky........I have contacted my GP about this yesterday too, and he could not believe it........Unfortunately, he couldn't do anything for me about getting the Klonopin, because he and my psych made an agreement that he wouldn't prescribe any psych meds for me, especially any controlled substances, because that might get me in trouble for "doctor shopping"......Apparently there's a fairly recent law in my state that you have to get all controlled substances from only one doctor.....Sounds a little like overkill to me......**SIGH**......Klonopin is the only controlled substance I was taking......
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-23-2016 at 07:10 AM.

As I was frantically trying to get things in order yesterday, my pharmacist actually volunteered to pull my prescription monitoring record yesterday, just to make sure there was nothing weird on it...He actually printed out for me and gave it to me.....I may need it later for evidence, anyway.....It shows nothing unusual, just one fill of Klonopin under my name, every month, usually on 28th or 29th day, and on a few occasions the 30th day after last fill........I actually brought this record into my docs office to show them I had done nothing to cause my doc to do this........I was infuriated and probably acting a little angry.....But can anyone blame me for being angry, because I did NOTHING wrong and still got thrown under the bus by my doc.......My doc's nurse actually told me where to go and what to do to file a complaint with my state's Medical Board......I am looking for another psych to go to before I file complaint, but my anxiety is starting to affect me even more this morning.....I guess it's "anticipatory anxiety"--fear of what is going to happen to me in the hospital............I have my bag packed and ready to go to ER, because I'm not really sure how long I'll be in......

I'll try to post again before I go to ER......Maybe some magical Klonopin fairy will appear at my door in the meantime....LOL

Thanks again everybody for your support and suggestions....Just so scared right now I can't do a thing but sit here.....

Good for your pharmacist. I thought of one other thing but assumed it wasn't the case. If you have outstanding bills you haven't paid. But if that were the case you should have been getting calls from the billing department and such long before the doctor simply cut off one drug. So that doesn't really make sense either. No dirty pee tests? Did they test your urine and if so did the nurse share the results with you? There are false positives.

Good for your pharmacist. I thought of one other thing but assumed it wasn't the case. If you have outstanding bills you haven't paid. But if that were the case you should have been getting calls from the billing department and such long before the doctor simply cut off one drug. So that doesn't really make sense either. No dirty pee tests? Did they test your urine and if so did the nurse share the results with you? There are false positives.
    Nope, no outstanding bills, either........I did have a urine test done about 2 months ago, and nothing amiss on that either....(They do random tests to make sure of med compliance)......Just don't get it......Maybe my doc got investigated for prescribing too many controlled substances, so shes cutting some patients off controls?.......Could that be the case?......I know the DEA is really cracking down now on docs and pharmacists with controls, but leaving compliant patients like me high and dry is not the answer, IMO.......Will be telling them EVERYTHING at the ER, though....This is just not right.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-23-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Nope, no outstanding bills, either........I did have a urine test done about 2 months ago, and nothing amiss on that either....(They do random tests to make sure of med compliance)......Just don't get it......Maybe my doc got investigated for prescribing too many controlled substances, so shes cutting some patients off controls?.......Could that be the case?......I know the DEA is really cracking down now on docs and pharmacists with controls, but leaving compliant patients like me high and dry is not the answer, IMO.......Will be telling them EVERYTHING at the ER, though....This is just not right.

Hi.

No this certainly isn't right and I would like to slap that doctor up side the head. What kind of doctor does that to a good patient? Ridiculous. You mentioned being on several other meds and I'm assuming it's prescribed by this same doctor? I think if it were me I would immediately begin searching for another doctor to take over my medical issues. I wouldn't want this doctor being my doctor a minute longer. Maybe you can get in with another doctor rather quickly.

You might head to the ER before severe wd's begin and tell them what's going on. Any doctor that cares will know it just isn't safe to stop a benzo abruptly. Seizure risk anomg other problems is entirely possible. I hope you get a real understanding doctor at the ER.

I sure feel for you in this situation. Good luck.

Randy
    Ricky71 likes this.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Hi.

No this certainly isn't right and I would like to slap that doctor up side the head. What kind of doctor does that to a good patient? Ridiculous. You mentioned being on several other meds and I'm assuming it's prescribed by this same doctor? I think if it were me I would immediately begin searching for another doctor to take over my medical issues. I wouldn't want this doctor being my doctor a minute longer. Maybe you can get in with another doctor rather quickly.

You might head to the ER before severe wd's begin and tell them what's going on. Any doctor that cares will know it just isn't safe to stop a benzo abruptly. Seizure risk anomg other problems is entirely possible. I hope you get a real understanding doctor at the ER.

I sure feel for you in this situation. Good luck.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy.....Rest assured I will be looking for another psychiatrist after this ordeal is done with....Maybe the ER doc can even refer me to one...........After i get my new psych doc, I will be filing a complaint against current doc who did this to me.....And I will also be contacting an attorney to see if I have a case against current doc....

Hubby is getting ready to drive me to ER now, as I am starting to get nauseous and shaky.....Nearest ER is only about 10 minutes from here.........I am not sure when I will get to post again, so I may let hubby post here how I'm doing...

Getting ready for hell.....Wish me luck......All hope is not lost, but I'm terrified.......Goodbye for now.....

Thank you, Randy.....Rest assured I will be looking for another psychiatrist after this ordeal is done with....Maybe the ER doc can even refer me to one...........After i get my new psych doc, I will be filing a complaint against current doc who did this to me.....And I will also be contacting an attorney to see if I have a case against current doc....

Hubby is getting ready to drive me to ER now, as I am starting to get nauseous and shaky.....Nearest ER is only about 10 minutes from here.........I am not sure when I will get to post again, so I may let hubby post here how I'm doing...

Getting ready for hell.....Wish me luck......All hope is not lost, but I'm terrified.......Goodbye for now.....
    Good luck MissKurly, I hope all turns out well? Where are you located by the way? Take care... God bless us all!

Good luck MissKurly, I hope all turns out well? Where are you located by the way? Take care... God bless us all!
    I live in Chesterfield, Virginia, not very far from Richmond........Thanks Ricky, I hope everything turns out well, too....I will get my hubby to post here tomorrow so everyone knows how I'm doing....
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-23-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Default Terrible suffering last night....

......UPDATE from Miss Kurly's husband....I am posting this from my phone--I am at the hospital still.

I am infuriated about my wife's horrible suffering caused by her psychiatrist.....She will be getting another doctor after this.

As we arrived at ER yesterday afternoon, she had severe panic attack and after we told the receptionist the whole story, she was rushed to a treatment room......Then before the doctor got to the room, she had a grand mal seizure.....They then immediately administered phenobarbital which seemed to help.....Her blood pressure was sky high, about 200/110......When she was together enough to talk to ER doc, she told him everything that happened previously.....Doc said he had patients come in here before with same situation from this very same psychiatrist she had been seeing.............I want to know why this dr is still practicing?....Did the other patients not file complaints?....Of course the dr was not allowed to tell me that.

Throughout the night I stayed with her.....She had several other small seizures, and they increased the dose of phenobarb.....During last night she did not sleep, could not eat her dinner because of nausea and vomiting.....She was dripping with sweat the whole night, so dizzy she could not walk, legs and arms twitching......This morning she would not eat, either.......Kept talking to herself saying " I feel like I'm dying, please don;t let me die"........Started talking to her mother (who has passed away), saying "Mommy please help me, I haven't done anything bad"...........Horrible multiple panic attacks and screaming, so afraid she was going to die from this.....I held her in my arms when I could, trying to comfort her.....Hallucinations--seeing her dad who has been deceased for 18 years and asking him to help her........

She is getting IV phenobarbital to prevent the seizures, but still not stable, still suffering horribly, mentally and physically....Sitting up in bed and saying "am I dead yet?". still vomiting every 30 minutes or so........They have her on IV fluids to prevent dehydration, still sweat poring from her body and twitching, shaking, panic attacks.

I feel so helpless, folks....I'm not going to sugar coat this--this is the most horrific thing I've ever witnessed.....

Will update again this afternoon....Dr says she may be in here 3-4 days....
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-24-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Wow. Thanks for posting and so sorry it's this bad. It seems everyone around you knows about this doctor. I suppose she has not had her license yanked because it takes a lot to do that, but the more her patients register complaints the more seriously the board will look at her. I'm starting to think that psychiatrist herself has a mental disorder.

Did they give you an explanation why they are not putting her back on the Klonopin? I'm guessing because the ER cannot give her an ongoing prescription? So they are treating her withdrawal symptomatically.

If there is any silver lining to this then by the time she gets with a new doctor she might be recovered enough to not want to go back on the Klonopin, or if not, can return at a much smaller dose.

Wow. Thanks for posting and so sorry it's this bad. It seems everyone around you knows about this doctor. I suppose she has not had her license yanked because it takes a lot to do that, but the more her patients register complaints the more seriously the board will look at her. I'm starting to think that psychiatrist herself has a mental disorder.

Did they give you an explanation why they are not putting her back on the Klonopin? I'm guessing because the ER cannot give her an ongoing prescription? So they are treating her withdrawal symptomatically.

If there is any silver lining to this then by the time she gets with a new doctor she might be recovered enough to not want to go back on the Klonopin, or if not, can return at a much smaller dose.
    ER doctor says they are not allowed to dispense the Klonopin......They are only allowed to treat acute withdrawal symptoms .....ER doc also says he has another psych doc in mind that he can get her an Emergency appt with after this is over, considering that she was forced to withdraw against her will, even after taking the Klonopin as prescribed........Lunchtime has come and gone here and she is still not eating, but did drink some juice...........Nurses say that she will have to at least be eating and drinking on her own before they will consider discharging.........Other than that she is still in acute withdrawals, seeing people who aren't there, screaming in terror with panic attacks periodically, still having dry heaves and vomiting bile since she has nothing left in her system left to throw up.....Sorry, that was a little TMI of me, but I'm very tired..........Her sister will be coming here later so I can get a little sleep, but I don't want to leave her......I love her so much and want to be here every second....I will make sure a complaint is filed with state medical board, believe me...........And we will be consulting with an attorney as well......There is nothing so horrific as watching someone you love go through this.....Thanks so much for your concern.....
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-24-2016 at 12:15 PM.

SoberSoldier91 is offline New Member

Im so sorry to hear this about your wife sir. Her psychiatrist is truly a despicable person and should be sent to prison for such negligence toward her patients. Im seriously getting mad just reading the symptoms your poor wife is experiencing. Please keep us updated to how she is doing!

Quote Originally Posted by SoberSoldier91 View Post
    Im so sorry to hear this about your wife sir. Her psychiatrist is truly a despicable person and should be sent to prison for such negligence toward her patients. Im seriously getting mad just reading the symptoms your poor wife is experiencing. Please keep us updated to how she is doing!

Thank you for your concern, SoberSoldier, it is much appreciated.....I will post a little later this afternoon and keep everyone updated.

UPDATE:

As of right now, my wife is pretty much the same as last time......Still having hallucinations, panic attacks, severe sweating, and vomiting, and still will not eat, plus now has uncontrollable crying spells......They are giving her something for the vomiting, I forget what it is, but hasn't made a lot of difference so far.....Her sister is here now to sit with her for a few hours while I try to grab a short nap......I am crying now as I type this, because I don't want to leave her side, but told them to please wake me up if she calls out for me........I am not a man who cries easily, but this has been so devastating to see...........I hope she eats soon....She was on the thin side to begin with, and probably has lost some weight at this point, because of the vomiting and refusing to eat.......I am worn out, folks, and I truly appreciate everyone who has expressed concern here today.......I may post one more time tonight if I am able, but definitely will have another update in the morning.......I wish you all a peaceful evening.....Thanks again.....

I hope you are able to get some rest. Take care of yourself and don't forget to eat something yourself.
    MissKurly likes this.

Have you suggested to the doctors to have her take some valium or equivalent in the mean time to ease her pain? I visited the ER one time because of a seizure I was experiencing after inducing a lot of caffeine and withdrawal of xanax(cold turkey) and they were able to give me some sort of anti anxiety medication. I noticed a post made by your wife stating she lived in Virginia. Im from Northern Virginia so I assume hospitals would follow simlar protocol given we are from the same state.

Regardless, I hope the doctors are managing her symptoms and monitoring her closely. Im sorry that your wife is going through this torture, and I am pulling for her to make it through. Looking forward to the latest updates, be safe!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-24-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    MissKurly likes this.

Default UPDATE: Night 2

Thank you all for replying.....I am trying to take care of myself as best I can, so I can be strong for my wife....I did get in a 4 hour nap yesterday afternoon, and these wonderful caring nurses are pushing food on me whenever they get a chance, so yes I am eating pretty well.............SoberSoldier, in answer to your question, they say they aren't allowed to give her benzos while in hospital for this, so maybe it might depend on individual hospital policy?....I'm not sure...

Last night it was a little better.....The anti-vomiting medicine must be working now, because she's not vomiting anymore, although she still has not eaten because of nausea.....She is drinking water, ginger ale,, and juice now, though, which is good....She really wants some coffee, but they will not allow because it has caffeine, and could still trigger a seizure at this point....They will not let her take her Wellbutrin either, because they say it affects seizure threshold?......Anyhow, last night they let her take her Trazodone, in hopes that she would be able to get some sleep, at least......
    Yesterday, her sister brought her some flowers, balloons, and a teddy bear, which seemed to help her spirits a bit..........She is still having frequent panic attacks, constant muscle spasms in her legs, although no more hallucinations that I've noticed, but the panic attacks are severe with screaming and crying........Nurses say this is typical of someone in benzo withdrawal after long term use.......

Anyway, at 9pm last night they gave her the Trazodone....About an hour later, she seemed drowsy, and wanted me to hold her because she thought it would help her sleep......I asked the nurse if this would be alright. and nurse then helped me move her to the couch in the room with all her IVs in.......I picked her up and she was so frail I had to hold back tears.....Then I laid down on the couch with her in my arms....she seemed very childlike and asked for her teddy bear and more pillows, but no blanket because she said she was too hot......She felt very hot like she had a fever, and nurse said this was a withdrawal symptom--she was not sick.........After a few minutes she went to sleep, although arms and legs still twitching and trembling a bit.

.I could not stop looking at her while she was asleep......Her whole body has been ravaged by this, she is as white as a ghost, hollow cheeks, dark circles under eyes, so thin.......I am sorry I'm so emotional about this, but I'm documenting it so people will know what cold turkey benzo withdrawal is like, how it's so horrific and terrifying to see............She ended up sleeping about 5 hours, but I could not sleep myself--my body was on high alert, waiting for something to happen, and it did.......At 3am she woke up screaming and crying, saying she was freezing cold.....Nurse came and got us blankets immediately........I wrapped them around her and she seemed to calm down a bit......Within few minutes, she had another small seizure while I was holding her....

After the seizure was over, she refused to go back to the hospital bed, saying "please don't let me go", over and over.
    So, for the rest of the night, I sat on the couch with her, just trying to provide comfort..........She cried and cried, saying she was sorry, and all I could say was it wasn't her fault, and I loved her.

This morning at breakfast, she has some ginger ale and juice.......Nurse told her she really needs to eat something, so out of the blue she said she wanted ice cream...!!.....They were so anxious for her to eat, they went and got her some.......I am sitting with her now, she has eaten, and holding it down......I can't believe I would ever get this excited over someone eating ice cream, but even a small step forward is cause for celebration at this point......

Sorry this was so long, but my wife said she wants everything written down for the nice people here who helped her....Be back this afternoon.....Hopefully this will be a better day.......!!

...........SoberSoldier, in answer to your question, they say they aren't allowed to give her benzos while in hospital for this, so maybe it might depend on individual hospital policy?....I'm not sure...
    That makes absolutely no sense. If she were a street addict coming to the ER in withdrawal, sure. I can see maybe you don't continue an inappropriate addiction. You do a medical detox. The ER should not be used as a source for illicit drugs. But this is not she, her dependency is licit. Heck, I know they give benzos to alcoholics during withdrawal to prevent and treat seizures. Are they telling you that if she came in seizing from alcohol withdrawal they'd give her a benzo but because she is seizing from benzo withdrawal they won't give her a benzo?

If it were me I'd interrogate those doctors along these lines until I got to the bottom of this. They're sidestepping your questions. "They aren't allowed to give benzos for this" is not an answer. Why are they not allowed? Exactly? Is it because hospital policy dictates all benzo withdrawals are to be treated as if the patient buys them off the street and only came to the ER to get more? If she were a multiple sclerosis patient in a wheelchair would they give her benzos because she'd look more like an actual real patient? Is it because a study came out showing that giving benzos to treat seizures only makes it worse? Is it because your wife is brunette and the latest study shows benzos to be dangerous to brunettes? Or is it because that particular hospital has been giving out too many controlled substances and they are now being watched by the DEA? Or is it because the hospital makes a whole lot more money keeping her inpatient for several days than it would giving her a cheap bottle of Klonopin? What exactly is going on here? I'd corner the doctor in charge until he gave me the truth and if he didn't I'd go up the ladder until I got some answers. This whole thing is fishy. Maybe there is some logical thing I'm missing here, I'd love to hear the psychiatrist's side of this story as well as the ER and hospital doctors'. I would invite them all to tell me their side of the story and if they continue giving me vague non-answers I'd pursue it like a pit bull until I was satisfied.

It is unacceptable to put your wife through this when giving her a benzo would have her functioning normally and home within a few hours. If it is right to take her off Klonopin then a taper is appropriate, this is known medical protocol. As far as I know, cold turkey withdrawal from benzos is only appropriate for addicts who cannot taper because they don't have the willpower, or maybe someone who is allergic to them or something. In all other cases benzos should not be withdrawn suddenly, so why is the hospital going along with the psychiatrist's error and going against the drug manufacturer's recommendation? You deserve an answer to that question.

Possibly the answer is simply that they assume your wife signed a controlled substance agreement with the psychiatrist, and they don't support "doctor shopping" by prescribing controlled substances to someone under another doctor's care. If that is the case, cannot you formally severe your relationship with the psychiatrist, making the contract invalid? If it's something like that then the doctor is giving you a pat quick answer and not thinking it through for you.

You said they are helping you get in with another doctor quickly. Possibly the hospital won't prescribe to a psychiatric patient without having had the formal psychiatric consult? If that's the holdup, they should tell you, and I'd question that hospital policy. Whatever the policy is that's making them do this, you deserve to know.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

I agree completely with Thisweekforsure. it should be common practice for hospital doctors to aleviate benzo withdrawal symptoms, especially cold turkey scenarios, by giving their patients ativan or something similar. Hell Ive been in the ER many times due to panic attacks alone and they had no problem giving me benzos to calm down. Something doesnt seem right about your hospital and I would look more into it if I were you.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast