getting off ativan
    lasept17 is offline New Member

Default getting off ativan

Hi everyone. I am a 22 year old female and I have been taking ativan for about 6 months. It was prescribed to me for anxiety. I was told to take 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg before bed. I also take zoloft and ambiem. I've decided recently that I dont want to be on ativan or any benzo pills anymore because I am doing good on the zoloft and the ambiem really helps me to sleep at night.

I made the mistake yesterday of trying to not take ativan at all for the whole day and had bad withdrawal (migraines, jittery, twitching, upset stomach, shortness of breath). I had no choice before I went to bed to take 1 mg because I felt like hell. I learned my lesson not to do this again!

I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm not addicted to the drug, my body is and it stinks. I dont need it every second of the day, I was just taking it as it was prescribed to me. I was on Klonopin before ativan and did ok getting off that, but this ativan withdrawal is sooo different! This morning I cut a 1 mg tablet in half and just took the half and I actually feel fine. A little jittery, but it's not affecting me.

I guess my question is, am I going about getting off this drug in the right way? I've been reading and reading about ativan withdrawal but everyone's withdrawal cases are different. I was thinking if I continue to cut the pill in half for a couple weeks and then start taking .5 mg for a couple weeks and see how that goes. And I remember excersising helped me forget about klonopin withdrawal, so I think I'm going to hit up the gym more then usual to get rid of the stress. I just want to do this safely because I know what quitting cold turkey can do to you.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

How are you doing today? Did the .5 hold you until your evening dose? You are right that everyone is different. And likely you won't get off without some side effects, you just want them to be manageable. I'd recommend holding at the .5 in the morning and see how your body reacts before you cut farther. Yeah, exercise is good, high protein and bananas helped me. Just checking to see how you're doing!

Peace,

Iloerose