going off from clonazepam after 5 Years (in detox process since 12/9/2014)any suppor
    denisthekid is offline New Member

Default going off from clonazepam after 5 Years (in detox process since 12/9/2014)any suppor

Firstly i need to say that i would thanks in advance Anyone that indentifies in how im feeling or had passed trought what im passing trought and can share and give your word or anyone that can give support or advices.

I do really need support of any kind

I had been prescribed clonazepam for deal with depression with high anxiety. As the antidepressant didnt lifted me up and did nothing to help with anxiety .
    (i couldnt get out of my house)
    (dont know exactly the name of that symptom)

i think its because of the agoraphobia and the symptons that anxious depression cause.

i had stopped the antidepressant's and became to take only the rivotril(clonazepam).
    it was a mask to my depression in time i was taking 4 MG in the morning to feel good or able to go out. Then i go to 6 MG ti been able to go out to 8 MG a day .
    in time i became to function only after taking a high dose of the same.

If i didnt take it i simply do not function at all .the depression had worsened and the only reason to take clonazepam was because i cant stop it if i didnt take it i didnt function.

Im in a psyc award now . im here with 2 reasons treat the depression and go off from the clonazepam

Since 9 , december of 2014 . in 2 months the pdoc switched the clonazepam for diazepam (40 MG and 2 s.o.s 10 MG pills available if i needed) i did feel like i needed more but i came down to 20mg +10mg (s.o.s) in the midtime of tapering i feel like i needed to go more slowly but i didnt.

i had feel full force anxiety,sudorese, fellins like my head was burning inside ,more sensitive to light and noises hot flashes in the body ,difficult to speak or think rite , dont know how to express this
    (im from Brasil so i dont know write english very well and dont know some words to express better how im feeling)

i felt unnable to think deep on a subject.

mental confusion, difficult to speak and to have eye to eye contact. I this midtime i became unnable to sleep too.
    (Since day one i have been prescribed mirtazapine (remeron45mg)than i asked some time later to combine the mentioned above with amitriptiline25mg)

i think it helped to think better and be abble to keep droping the dose ..when i reach 20 MG of Valium a day was hard .i became afraid of having a convulsion and couldnt sleep.
    So i asked for the pdoc to prescribe
    ( seroquel100mg to sleep and depakote500mg er ) depakote have effect on the GABA . increazing GABA a litlle for this reason his anti-seizure effect and as you guys know the GABA slow down the exitatory neurotrasmiters (dopamine .serotonine and etc.) and benzos overflow the levels of the GABA in the brain so when you stop them u have an overflow of the exitatory neurotransmiters and because you natural GABA is messed up and your body is used to function with high levelz of GABA you simply tilt out or "Broke's mentaly" when go cold turkey

I think that without the antidepressants i would be suicidal and with a lot more dificculty for think and speaking .

the seroquel put me to sleep 6hours maybe 8sometimes and the depakote do his paper to Cope with the withdrawal simptons .
    Please let me know what u guys think about taking antidepressants and those 2 others to cope with the tapering withdrawal symptons?

now im 3 days without diazepam i feel like something is missing . if i go out i feel weird and strange, i feel perceptual distortions its like im apart or "out of the real world"
    now im disconfortable even to go out of my room . i feel disconfortable to speak with others. Palpitations and a bad tachycardia too. Some numbness , lightheaded or like a cloud is in front of my eyes , i feel lethargic and have many other simptons

Today 2/1/2015 i took 10 mg my stomach burning or ache has gone and the bad tachycardia and the fact of my heart go in to a crazy tachycardia if Anyone enter the room or any other simples thing that you would feel normal , my heart go crazy had almost tottaly gone ( but even taking 10 MG i feel weird)

The thing that im most scared is the fact that the 2 times i go out from the psyc award
    I felt weird with the feeling like i was out of the real world apart from the reality, light-headed and feeling like something is missing to function normally, i felt tottaly unconfortable and the facto that i lost the habit of going out , or even i lost the habit of living without tranquilizers
    (I felt this way the 2 times i go out for a walk i was on 20 MG of diazepam)Someone had felt this way in the process of detox?

Finnaly i feel horrible and unable to carry on with the duty's of my life , someone had passed trought what im passing ? This will get better ?

Obs ; i purchase a non halopatic medicine that have many organics compounds for normal or better Brain function its from 4 organics and it calls cerebrate im expecting to start taking it after 2 months without any benzo

if Someone can give me a positive word or support even if someone indentifies or its passing or had passed trought what im passing please let me know how you had handled it ?

i would aprecciate to know your opnions
    I would like to know what you would do if you was in my situation?

Im still feeling some of those symptoms i listed above.

Im really scared . need yours hands to keep going on

Best wishes . Denis.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Yes I think your symptoms are very typical for coming off the benzodiazepine. The doctor was correct to switch you to valium but it is also true that you are correct to feel that you maybe should reduce more slowly. To go from 20 mg of diazepam to nothing can be a big drop and you may not feel the full effect for 2 or 3 days so it sounds like you are having the onset of withdrawal symptoms. There are some really slow taper schedules for example, each day you can reduce by only 1 mg. Day 1 take 20 mg. Day 2 take 19 mg. Day 3 take 18 mg and so on. You have to go to liquid titration to do this but it might be very helpful for you. There are some websites that tell you how to titrate down (reduce dose) with liquid.

Yes this will get better but you may still have the original problem. However you should improve from how you are feeling right now. Give it time. Once you are off the benzo completely, it could take several months to get back to normal, so be patient and don't give up hope. In a case like yours where you had a problem with depression and anxiety before, I strongly suggest you look into diet and nutrition. One book that very enlightening is Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS). You may have profound improvement in your depression and anxiety by avoiding all grains, sugar, processed food, and caffeine, and being sure to get a lot of healthy good fats (not the bad fats, very big difference.) Good fats are critically important to brain function and depression/anxiety is all about the brain's neurotransmitters (as you know).

I really thank you for your words . i will try to get this book on hands . its "funny" ( theres is not funny at all) how im reacting i took those 10 MG and i felt i need more . i took more .5 and still feel like i need more the same way i still feel im pretty messed up and i feel bad/awful

if i do not take i will keep feeling awful and a little more messed up . damn what a freaky situation . dont know whats is better' if i quit or if i tape in the 2 ways i will feel awful and when totally off i will be damn... . dont know what to do im confuse . the pdocs here where im at are not professionals in that question ... But i will have to choose one way out..i think that after beeing completly off in time i think that external stimules will be more tolerables

I will try to avoid drinking Coke i will avoid sugar and cafeine i will follow your tips
    But i really dont know if i quit from here or of i do the tapering since the 2 ways will be hard . i have 23 y old im scared and confuse
    If i do the Water triation u think that my body will regulate more quickly than quiting from here? Hard for me . thank you again
    Have a good week
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.

I read again your first post and realize you said you are in a psych ward? Are you now an inpatient? That means they bring you whole pills of diazepam (either 10, 20 or 40 mg?). In this case forget liquid titration, the doctors and staff there might never have heard of that. Is it possible to cut small amounts off each pill? Ask them for a pill cutter and cut them into 1/4 or even 1/8 pieces? Then you can remove one small piece at a time. Get stable on a dose for several days (7-10 days) before cutting again.

At what dose do you think you will feel stable? Suppose you take 20 mg per day and feel okay with that. Suppose you take two 10 mg pills to get the 20 mg total in one day. Then an example taper plan would be like this:

Days 1-7: Take 20 mg per day (two 10 mg pills)
    Days 8-14: Cut 1/4 out of one of the pills so you will take 1 pill plus 3/4 of a pill, or a total of 17.5 mg per day
    Days 15-21: Cut one pill in 1/2, so you will take a total of 15 mg per day

Days 22-29: Cut off 1/8 more. You will take 1 pills plus 1/4 plus 1/8 or a total of 13.75 mg per day (10+2.5+1.25)
    Days 30-37: Cut another 1/8. Take 1 pill plus 1/4 of a pill or a total of 12.5 mg per day
    Days 38-45: Take 1 pill plus 1/8 of a pill or a total of 11.25 mg per day

From there you can continue cutting by 1/8 of a pill (1.25 mg) per drop. Each time you drop, wait until symptoms subside before dropping again. You can wait longer than the 7 days I have in the example. You may need to stay on each dose for 10 days or even longer.

As you get lower and lower you may find that even 1/8 of a pill is too much of a drop. Then you can attempt to shave it again to 1/16 of a pill but this gets difficult and is where most people go to liquid titration. If you cannot go to liquid just continue shaving small pieces off to gradually reduce how much you take every day. It's okay to take several weeks or even months to do this.

I would take the diazepam twice per day and stick to that schedule. As you reduce the size of the one pill, you can cut the other also and even out the amounts you take in the morning and the evening.

I also realized you had asked a question about the other medications:
    ( seroquel100mg to sleep and depakote500mg er ) depakote have effect on the GABA . increazing GABA a litlle for this reason his anti-seizure effect and as you guys know the GABA slow down the exitatory neurotrasmiters (dopamine .serotonine and etc.) and benzos overflow the levels of the GABA in the brain so when you stop them u have an overflow of the exitatory neurotransmiters and because you natural GABA is messed up and your body is used to function with high levelz of GABA you simply tilt out or "Broke's mentaly" when go cold turkey

I think that without the antidepressants i would be suicidal and with a lot more dificculty for think and speaking .

the seroquel put me to sleep 6hours maybe 8sometimes and the depakote do his paper to Cope with the withdrawal simptons .
    Please let me know what u guys think about taking antidepressants and those 2 others to cope with the tapering withdrawal symptons?
    I don't have experience with those particular drugs but if you feel you are suicidal then do continue to take them as your doctors are directing. I think probably the best thing to do is get off the benzo and whatever other drugs they give you to support that process is preferable. A benzo habit will in the long run get you nowhere but worse off, so stay stable on the other meds if they are helping and continue a very, very slow taper of the diazepam.

Yes im at a psyc ward i couldnt get off from 20 MG cold turkey in 2 days after stop i felt a strong withdrawal , intolerable. I felt confused .sweatining having diffuculty to speak ,hard to breath and many others symptons
    i have sure that if i was not on depakote i would had a convulsion and if i didnt know that what i was feeling was because of the cold turkey that ii was trying i certanly would had a pannic attack. So in the afternoon of the 2 day i had to took 15 MG
    I will talk to the doctor today about that.
    Today i took the 20 MG and i felt OK
    With none of the symptons of discontinuation.
    Im associating the bad symptons i had have a connection that my mind and body was triyng to get back to normal
    But i realised too that im not able to drop tottaly from here. Scary and in fact really dangerous thing to do if dont have the knowledge of what ur doing

Thanks for the math . i will use it

Taking about this other classes of drug i would prefer to quit without any drug for Cope with the reduction and withdrawal symptons. But its hard and dangerous

I had used seroquel . olanzapine and depakote before . but i tooked almost 6 months of those. and i felt almost nothing when i reduced and stopped .
    Those was easy to stop

I think that the benzos reduction and gettin off of them ITs the worst class of drug to stop . i simply cant quit from 20 MG cold turkey i will use ur math (thanks for help with the math i will do the tapering .

and today i will ask what way the doctor can proceed from here .
    i will ask if its able for him to put the olanzapine to Cope with the reduction and the withdrawal/abtinence symptons and i will procede the tapering with the math u made

After 3 months or more i will start to tapering the seroquel and the others as i had took them before and was not hard or simply felt nothing to reduce and then quit.

I will keep reporting how im doing and what im feeling for those who are interested to have info about what can happen in the process of reduction and etc.

I cant recommend to use other classes of drugs but if the person its interested should read the post to see why im taking other classes of drug
    But i really belive that after complete off from benzo in time all those nasty hard symptons will deaapear and i will live better...
    Thanks for your help ur a god send and u must know that ur giving me light to keep on and the best way to do it
    another day another struggle but i will reach the goal
    Denis !

Quote Originally Posted by denisthekid View Post
    Yes im at a psyc ward i couldnt get off from 20 MG cold turkey in 2 days after stop i felt a strong withdrawal , intolerable. I felt confused .sweatining having diffuculty to speak ,hard to breath and many others symptons
    i have sure that if i was not on depakote i would had a convulsion and if i didnt know that what i was feeling was because of the cold turkey that ii was trying i certanly would had a pannic attack. So in the afternoon of the 2 day i had to took 15 MG
    I will talk to the doctor today about that.
    Today i took the 20 MG and i felt OK
    With none of the symptons of discontinuation.
    Im associating the bad symptons i had have a connection that my mind and body was triyng to get back to normal
    But i realised too that im not able to drop tottaly from here. Scary and in fact really dangerous thing to do if dont have the knowledge of what ur doing
    I think you have nailed exactly what was happening.

I think that the benzos reduction and gettin off of them ITs the worst class of drug to stop .
    I agree. Slow and steady is the way. Stay strong, you can do this!

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    I think you have nailed exactly what was happening.

I agree. Slow and steady is the way. Stay strong, you can do this!

Well ; im still at a psyc award
    I need your opnion thisweekforsure...
    Im stable at 20 MG anyway i will go home for some days . so i will do the following i will buy 3 boxes of diazepam 2 MG
    This way i will do the tapering of 1 or o.5 diazepam a day... As its more difficult to do this in water tapering i will make it in pill foram.... Im not feeling bad at 20 but im still afraid because of the nonhabit of live without the benzo effects . probabily i will notice a little weird feeling when i pass those days without the feeling of bering drugged by tranquilizers.. I will have to get the habit to feel normal again nondrugged

When i Camé back to the psycaward i will do the tapering as i saíd above

I will tell my experiente and how i felt out of the award and later i will tell how its going and how i will feel tapering and after

Hope that i will handle this the best way

Wish luck to Anyone struggling to get of benzos

If I recall you were on a pretty huge dose of benzo to begin with back in December. To be stable now on 20 mg of diazepam is really, really great. You have done very well.

Just to understand your plan is to reduce by 1 or .5. You say per day and yes that is daily dose, but don't take out that much again each day in a row, but stay at the 1 mg reduction for several days. Sorry if you know this but I want to be sure. for example:

Day 1: 20 mg
    Day 2: 19 mg
    Day 3: 19 mg
    Day 4: 19 mg
    Day 5: 19 mg
    Day 6: 19 mg
    Day 7: 19 mg
    Day 8: 18 mg
    Day 9: 18 mg
    Day 10: 18 mg
    Day 11: 18 mg

...and so on.

this will be long term, just be sure you have enough to last, you can continue to renew the prescription, right?

Be patient, take it really slowly. You are doing great.

Thank you for your reply
    I will do slower as i can , i have a friend on the local drugstore and have prescription too
    i get out from the p award
    Im now at home ; i will keep putting my experiênce periodically
    As you know before i was taking 6 to 8 MG of clonazepam daily
    If i didnt take it i couldnt get out of home
    And even inside home i would
    "freak out"or totally out of reality with all the withdrawal and fears
    Now i reached the 20 MG of diazepam that its about 1 MG of clonazepam following the Ashton manual
    Www.benzo.org.uk

I.decided to go out from the award to get in touch with the reality again
    Its.not so easy
    Im pushing myself to run when i wake up ,i need to get the habit of dealing with the day after day and then with the academic life . work etc......

I stopped olanzapine and depakote without any wd simptoms
    And i felt better Being off those 2
    (I recommend to all seeing this last post to read the story to see why i decided to take them)

Im taking amitriptyline and mirtazapine too for depression i will stop the benzos first as the road back book says

I have sure that in the end when i get totally clean.of all meds i will feel and live better and give more.value in everything

I will do as you say , drop 1 MG and just drop another when i feel that im ready

Thank you again twforsure

God bless.you and.all mates

Denis