Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Help with coming off xanax?
    Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Default Help with coming off xanax?

My original post/posts are in the "Need to Talk" and "Prescription Drug Addiction" forums! I thought I would copy them here also! I'm not getting any responses in my original post in the "Need to Talk" forum regarding help with xanax withdrawal/tapering?

(Copy of 2nd to last post) - Been off the oxys for over 2 months now, no problems there regarding cravings so that's good. Been on wellbutrin 300mg for about 6 weeks, seems to help with the depression that I was experiencing?
    Here's the problem!!!
    I was taking ativan 1mg for a month or so to help with anxiety and panic attacks during oxy tapering/withdrawal stages. I took it very sparingly as I was told by other members to be very careful with benzodiazepines! Well that usage gradually increased and was also taking it at night to sleep. My primary doctor then prescribed xanax 1mg, 90 pills a month. I've been taking those now for the past 2 months and sometimes took 3-4mg, only at night to sleep. No real need for them otherwise. I wouldn't take them everyday either. I ran out last Thursday and didn't think much of it, I just thought it's gotten out of hand anyway and time to get off! Was sick in bed the whole weekend, figured it was the flu then I started putting 2 and 2 together and thought it could be wd's from the xanax? Went to primary doctor this past Monday, I told him I thought I was having wd's from the xanax and he said he didn't think so? I told him I want off the benzos and he agreed and didn't mention anything more about it, he just sent me on my way with a 3 month follow up visit. So yesterday was the worst day by far, I called my doctor and left a message, no return call? I called the neurologist that put me on my oxy taper and he said I was most likely in withdrawal and needed to go back on the xanax to taper. I figured I had 5 days off the xanax and was through the worst of it but apparently not? I obviously wish I had taken the advice of being careful with the benzos as I was warned more than a few times! But I'm here now asking for help and the best course of action to get off this awful drug as painless as possible? Thanks in advance for any and all responses. God bless us all!

P.S.
    I am so mad and upset with myself to be in this much agony again and from what I've been reading this is far worse to withdrawal from than the opiates?

(Copy of last post) - Still need some help here if anybody has some information or knowledge regarding xanax withdrawal? The neurologist that I've seen before put me back on xanax with a taper of taking .5 milligrams a day for 1 week then .25 milligrams for the second week and then done? This seems way too fast and too much of a reduction in dosage from everything that I've researched here and around the internet? Any information or responses are greatly appreciated? God bless us all!

ItsPossible is offline Member

Hi Ricky,
    I do not have any advice on xanax wd's but I wanted you to know that I have read your thread and am feeling for you right now.
    I too have heard it was dangerous to come off of them after using for so long.
    Anyway you can get to a hospital and let them know what's going on?
    I'm mad at your doctor right now!
    I know you are regretting getting hooked but please try to focus on getting you better.
    Of course as addicts we have this wonderful way of over indulging in things that make us feel good.
    Congrats on getting clean from oxy's. You mentioned you had tapered with a doctor.... did you get any addiction counselling during that time?
    Maybe once you are feeling better you can get to an AA/NA meeting for some support and hear speakers to get to know how others deal with the issues we can all relate to.
    I'll do my best to research what I can, but I am sure you have researched a ton too.
    If there is anyway you can keep yourself calm with deep breathing, or my favourite, YouTube a meditation and just try and listen.... it has such a POWERFUL effect.
    Our bodies are amazing and sometimes we have to force our minds to let our bodies do our jobs.
    I'm not just saying breathe this away, but try and get back to the breath in anytime of panic.
    I remember coming off of SSRI's and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    WE are here for you.

Oh thank goodness I read that again.... You DO have xanax to taper!
    I was starting to get worried.
    I've been reading up on it and taper is the best and a must but should be done under medical supervision.
    You've got this far!
    Have you started taking them again?
    How are you feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPossible View Post
    Oh thank goodness I read that again.... You DO have xanax to taper!
    I was starting to get worried.
    I've been reading up on it and taper is the best and a must but should be done under medical supervision.
    You've got this far!
    Have you started taking them again?
    How are you feeling?
    Thanks ItsPossible for the replies and suggestions. I am back on the xanax, on a slow taper. I have researched a ton and now I'm pretty well versed on the subject. It's a serious med with awful and dangerous repercussions if not weened off properly! I'm feeling better back on them of course but I'm also on a smaller dose so a little discomfort from time to time. I'm hoping that this taper will be successful with as little discomfort as possible? Thanks again for the suggestions and support. Take care... God bless us all!
    ItsPossible likes this.

I'll never take a xanax after this post. Scared the life out of me when I thought you were in danger. I am glad you are on your way to your best self!
    Take care
    Love and light xxoo

I think the drug does a great job for what it's supposed to do! Saying that, it's one of the worst and most dangerous drugs to withdrawal from cold turkey and should never be stopped abruptly! I think alot of doctors prescribe these and other potentially dangerous drugs haphazardly! Patients should and need to be warned of the possibilities of dependency, not to alter or increase the dosage on their own and to be properly tapered off in the end! I think short-term use at the lowest effective dose or on a sparingly "as need basis" would be best if you in fact needed anti-aniexty medication, especially xanax! God bless us all!

LindaBrynaert is offline New Member

I'm so glad I found this post. I my self have been on it for,
    15 years. I've been wanting to get off them,for several months now. My dose is quite high.....2mg 3 x a day but that's not exactly accurate. I kinda take them randomly, but will say I definitely take a 2 milligram at bed time every single night. I have no idea how to even be gain to tapper off them, I have a anxiety disorder really bad! I never knew how dangerous and hard it is to come off them. I'm not even sure if I want to. I definitely want to cut down a lot. I just don't know where too start.I think I'm going to just take one me a day bs I know I've never HAD TOO TAKE THEM 3X A DAY! The scary part I read is having seizures, that terrifies me right there. I don't want to do it too fast, or too slow.I with be seeing my Dr in a few months, for my routine check-up,but would like to start now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaBrynaert View Post
    I'm so glad I found this post. I my self have been on it for,
    15 years. I've been wanting to get off them,for several months now. My dose is quite high.....2mg 3 x a day but that's not exactly accurate. I kinda take them randomly, but will say I definitely take a 2 milligram at bed time every single night. I have no idea how to even be gain to tapper off them, I have a anxiety disorder really bad! I never knew how dangerous and hard it is to come off them. I'm not even sure if I want to. I definitely want to cut down a lot. I just don't know where too start.I think I'm going to just take one me a day bs I know I've never HAD TOO TAKE THEM 3X A DAY! The scary part I read is having seizures, that terrifies me right there. I don't want to do it too fast, or too slow.I with be seeing my Dr in a few months, for my routine check-up,but would like to start now. Any advice would be appreciated!
    Hi Linda, tapering off of benzos is a very slow process. The seizure risk is when you stop taking benzodiazepines cold turkey, as long as you correctly follow a slow taper process you'll be fine regarding that issue? I would say that most physicians are pretty clueless on how to properly taper but I also think that if you have the right information yourself and discuss what your intentions are that your doctor would be on board and be more than happy to help you along? Do a search online for "The Ashton Manual"? That will specifically guide you correctly through the taper process for benzodiazepines. Have that information with you if you plan on asking your doctor for assistance so that they will better understand the process. You definitely can start the process on your own but would need your physician later on when you are ready to switch to the longer acting benzo valium. Best of luck to you. Continue to post your questions, comments, concerns and progress? Take care... God bless us all!

just new is offline New Member

Ricky you are such a nice person for reaching out to people on this forum. you You've been a definite help to me. I'm still decreasing dosage and so far so good. i definitely would not have cut it in half the first drop. I seem to be tolerating my other drops ok.

Quote Originally Posted by just new View Post
    Ricky you are such a nice person for reaching out to people on this forum. you You've been a definite help to me. I'm still decreasing dosage and so far so good. i definitely would not have cut it in half the first drop. I seem to be tolerating my other drops ok.
    Hey just new, thanks for the reply and compliment. I received so much help and support when I went through my oxy and xanax taper that I'm just paying it forward when I can. I've learned quite a lot about benzos and opiates including subs in the past year/year and a half that I'm able to give some solid advice in hopes of helping someone in their time of need? I'm glad I was/am able to help you in anyway I can! I'll be sure to check up on your thread here soon when I have a bit more time? Take care as always... God bless us all!

fonzy93 is offline New Member

Sorry for randomly commenting but I need advice asap and was wondering how to start a new thread I have never used these sites only browsed and read hours and hours and hours of posts over the past 2 and a half years since my addiction started so sorry for randomly commenting on an unrelated post just can not figure out how to start a thread lmao

Quote Originally Posted by fonzy93 View Post
    Sorry for randomly commenting but I need advice asap and was wondering how to start a new thread I have never used these sites only browsed and read hours and hours and hours of posts over the past 2 and a half years since my addiction started so sorry for randomly commenting on an unrelated post just can not figure out how to start a thread lmao
    You can start your own thread here - https://www.drugs.com/forum/newthrea...newthread&f=41

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

I know exactly what you were thinking me to. Thought I summed it up. Just know when someone hates themselves inside they lash out at other's.. so with that said I bow to you lol...you rock Ricky.. Stay Strong for Today...

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    I know exactly what you were thinking me to. Thought I summed it up. Just know when someone hates themselves inside they lash out at other's.. so with that said I bow to you lol...you rock Ricky.. Stay Strong for Today...
    Thanks Lvg... I said it before and I'll say it again, you rock too! Take care... God bless us all!

Can you swing by the thread since I have no idea how to send a link. New to welbutrin,jane.thanks..

Hello, can you give her advice on the welbutrin, she did post after your last post,thanks...

Hello, just flying by to say Hello and how are you.. Hope you had a good 4th..
    Stay strong for today..

Hello, just flying by to say Hello and how are you.. Hope you had a good 4th..
    Stay strong for today..
    Greetings Lvg, I'm doing good or at least as good can get! The 4th was typical, a little BBQ, fireworks, etc... Nothing too exciting! Thanks for asking! I'll stop by your thread soon to check up on you? Be well... God bless us all!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey got an off the wall question for you.. have you come across any information on after being clean awhile, that a flu shot, or taking over the counter flu meds or antibiotics..set back the body physically??

Hey got an off the wall question for you.. have you come across any information on after being clean awhile, that a flu shot, or taking over the counter flu meds or antibiotics..set back the body physically??
    The answer to your questions is no or at least concerning any relation to being clean for a while. I'm actually on antibiotics right now and have been a couple times before in the last year or so. I don't get flu shots but I have taken otc flu meds in the past year as well! I know antibiotics can run you down a little especially if you are not taking a probiotic? Flu shots can run you down as well?

Well that was absolutely no help lol...with all your awesome knowledge none for me. The reason I was asking is well a few weeks ago I got really sick which led me to the hospital.. had so many tests done, I guess a general diagnosis of bacterial infection, upper respiratory whatever, urine test showed first clean no drugs just putting that out there, but trace amount of blood. everything else negative..I left with a handful of scripts the only one I filled was antibiotics but didn't take til 4days later when I still felt awful. My primary doctor was not concerned just thought I had a bug.. since taking the antibiotics I feel not so we'll..whereas I was doing amazing...kind of symptoms of depression which I'm not. with all that said I also help online elsewhere people going coldturkey off methadone, several people mentioned that certain meds,otc, antibiotics set them back in there recovery. I tried looking up long term effects after stopping methadone but can't seem to find anything other than early wds. Anything on this forum from 2005 earlier I can't seem to see the threads, not sure if it gets deleted after so many years being inactive.. if you happen to come across anything please keep me updated. Thanks again Ricky for all you do.. Stay Strong for Today..

UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Hey Lvg and Ricky I got super sick too Lvg - or just awful awful feeling on antibiotics a few months back and just stopped taking them. There are different stronger types than I think we probably were used to or think about. So maybe depends on which one you tried? I couldn't even go to yoga or for a run or anything...

Hijack alert..... the antibiotics we're for 6days, there out of my system now.. I'm going this week for more bloodwork. Last results were I'm prediabetic,but I'm eating healthy,lost my weight, exercised like a mad woman.. maybe over anyalising it all but feel just so like I hit a brick wall physically..also get light headed several times a day usually after I eat. I'm not an alarmist but it's kinda scary..after 8 1/2 months clean how long can I keep blaming the opiate abuse..

Hijack alert..... the antibiotics we're for 6days, there out of my system now.. I'm going this week for more bloodwork. Last results were I'm prediabetic,but I'm eating healthy,lost my weight, exercised like a mad woman.. maybe over anyalising it all but feel just so like I hit a brick wall physically..also get light headed several times a day usually after I eat. I'm not an alarmist but it's kinda scary..after 8 1/2 months clean how long can I keep blaming the opiate abuse..
    Exactly, how long can one keep blaming everything that ails them on their opiate use/abuse/recovery?

There are many people that blame their opiate use for every belly ache, headache, cold, flu, etc. when in actuality what they're experiencing probably has very little or nothing to do with the their past opiate use? I guess it can be pretty easy to blame the opiates and pretty hard to figure out that it has nothing to do with the opiates at all? Go figure?
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Morning Ricky... ok ok.... I guess I'm not 17 years old anymore.. it's kinda like your cruzing down the road thinking you almost to your destination than your ratty Old car hits a speed bump... definitely not trading this model in with the dealer ha..so tune up it is..let go let God....have a wonderful day...

Hey, yes I can some of that, she liked a post of mine so I know she logged on just giving her some options on reading threads was checking in to see if she followed up on your awesome advice. Now if you could walk me through how to send you a link when you miss a newcomer that would be helpful,I cannot figure that out... patiently awaiting Ricky 101 tutorial..lol thanks as always for your help... Stay Strong for Today...

Hello Ricky, How goes it with you...this side of the coast is awful hot, can't walk although I would sweat my body fat off...take me to church came on the radio thought of you so I decided to see how you have been lately..as you always are helping others..thanks for all your support when I needed it. So how's life treating you these days Ricky?? Be well my friend... Stay strong for Today...

Hello Ricky, How goes it with you...this side of the coast is awful hot, can't walk although I would sweat my body fat off...take me to church came on the radio thought of you so I decided to see how you have been lately..as you always are helping others..thanks for all your support when I needed it. So how's life treating you these days Ricky?? Be well my friend... Stay strong for Today...
    Hot over here as well! Take me to church is a great song, the meaning is very different than most people would think, look it up if you don't know the intended meaning?

I'm doing okay, been having some pain come back in my leg on a more consistent basis which absolutely sux! Been eating ibuprofen like tic tacs! I'm gonna start up a juice fast again, that really helps tone down the pain. Take care Lvg... God bless us all!

Hey Ricky sorry to hear your not feeling well these days...don't have to tell you becareful of the ibprophen hard on the stomach.. and yes kinda like same love...lol be well... Stay Strong for Today...

Autumnhopes is offline Member

Hi Ricky!
    Sorry you're feeling too well hope you can get some relief soon!!!
    Thanks for all the help you've offered me! It means a lot to have good forum friends around like you! That give good advice.. I'm struggling w Valium scrip I just got. Not sure what to do w it. I've taken it in the past & had no trouble but only taken for 2 weeks max. I've just taken about 2 pills so far but thinking about the future & posted on my thread looking for sound advice... You are someone w good experience & sound wisdom. Thanks for anything you can offer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast