Help me to get rid of alprazolam
    awanje is offline New Member

Exclamation Help me to get rid of alprazolam

Hi
    Almost 5 months ago I had very bad stomach issue and my doctor prescribed alprazolam 0.5mg daily with other medicine. But I took it on need bases. But From last 3 months i am taking it regularly. And now am 0.5mg 3 times a day. After reading about it I want to quite it. What is best way to tapper down?. I also visited neurologist and he prescribed me Escitalopram 10mg daily at night. And Clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day for a week and then next week 0.25mg twice a week of it.Its just for 2 weeks. And he said just quite the alprazolam at once. I fear that if I take Clonazepam and i again get addicted that will again create issues.So What you guys say?
    Thanks

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by awanje View Post
    Hi
    Almost 5 months ago I had very bad stomach issue and my doctor prescribed alprazolam 0.5mg daily with other medicine. But I took it on need bases. But From last 3 months i am taking it regularly. And now am 0.5mg 3 times a day. After reading about it I want to quite it. What is best way to tapper down?. I also visited neurologist and he prescribed me Escitalopram 10mg daily at night. And Clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day for a week and then next week 0.25mg twice a week of it.Its just for 2 weeks. And he said just quite the alprazolam at once. I fear that if I take Clonazepam and i again get addicted that will again create issues.So What you guys say?
    Thanks
    Hello, the doctor is probably right by saying that you can quit the xanax right away as long as you're starting the klonopin. However I do think that the klonopin taper is too aggressive and too fast!

Why is the doctor putting you on the antidepressant (Lexapro)? Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Hello, the doctor is probably right by saying that you can quit the xanax right away as long as you're starting the klonopin. However I do think that the klonopin taper is too aggressive and too fast!

Why is the doctor putting you on the antidepressant (Lexapro)? Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!
    Yes I think its too fast to wear off klonopin. And am also fear of its addiction. The reason he is putting me on Lexapro is that i feel tightening feeling around my throat and feel like air is stucking in there. I have to burp to feel better. I have gone to many doctors.
    they say there is nothing wrong with your throat. However gastroenterologist says it stomach issue. And my current doctor who is neurologist says that's its due to anxiety. I am also underweight. My BMI is 15.4. I really dont know the real cause. But I don't want to take klonopin as I heard that's its even harder to withdraw from it than alprazolam. So Please give me advice. Thanks

Yes I think its too fast to wear off klonopin. And am also fear of its addiction. The reason he is putting me on Lexapro is that i feel tightening feeling around my throat and feel like air is stucking in there. I have to burp to feel better. I have gone to many doctors.
    they say there is nothing wrong with your throat. However gastroenterologist says it stomach issue. And my current doctor who is neurologist says that's its due to anxiety. I am also underweight. My BMI is 15.4. I really dont know the real cause. But I don't want to take klonopin as I heard that's its even harder to withdraw from it than alprazolam. So Please give me advice. Thanks
    It's the other way around, xanax is harder to taper than klonopin! Xanax half-life is between 6-20 hours, the half-life of klonopin is 20-50 hours. Because of the long half-life, the klonopin will be easier to taper. However you can taper straight from the xanax if you wanted?

You'll want to taper by 5-10% every 7-10 days or so? You can achieve the reductions pretty accurately by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method as well. As you get lower in dose you will slow your taper down even more and reduce the amount you taper by! Tapering is a very slow process, you'll want to taper slow enough so your body can adjust to the new lower dose so you can avoid or at the very least minimize any withdrawal symptoms?

Just remember, doctors do not always know best when it comes to meds especially opiates and benzos, I would say that majority of doctors certainly do not know how to properly taper someone off these particular meds! I hope this information helps? Keep the forum posted on your progress? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

Are You sure that that switching to klonopin right away will not cause any symptoms? And it easy to withdraw from klonopin than xanax? Because I have heard that withdrawal symptoms of xanax can go in 3 days. however klonopin withdrawal symptoms can take months.Is that true? And yes due to very short-life of xanax am not good. I cant wait till the time of next dose. After 4 hours it start feeling very bad but i have to wait and that is a big problem. And sometimes I take it before time. I am taking xanax 0.5mg around 9am to 10am. Then 0,5mg around 4pm to 5pm and then again 0.25mg around 8pm to 9pm(It was 0.5mg and i split it half a week ago). I fear that tapering that slow will cause tolerance of xanax and can lead to even higher dose. I just want to quite the benzos as safe as possible with as quick as i can.
    My age is 24 years and I dont want to be take any pills longer. what you say about Lexapro. Dr said it will start working after 20 days. So that will help in withdrawal after 20 days when it start working.?

Are You sure that that switching to klonopin right away will not cause any symptoms? And it easy to withdraw from klonopin than xanax? Because I have heard that withdrawal symptoms of xanax can go in 3 days. however klonopin withdrawal symptoms can take months.Is that true? And yes due to very short-life of xanax am not good. I cant wait till the time of next dose. After 4 hours it start feeling very bad but i have to wait and that is a big problem. And sometimes I take it before time. I am taking xanax 0.5mg around 9am to 10am. Then 0,5mg around 4pm to 5pm and then again 0.25mg around 8pm to 9pm(It was 0.5mg and i split it half a week ago). I fear that tapering that slow will cause tolerance of xanax and can lead to even higher dose. I just want to quite the benzos as safe as possible with as quick as i can.
    My age is 24 years and I dont want to be take any pills longer. what you say about Lexapro. Dr said it will start working after 20 days. So that will help in withdrawal after 20 days when it start working.?
    Please look Up and research the Ashton manual? Dr. Heather Ashton is the leading authority on everything related to benzodiazepines! She recommends switching to a longer acting benzo like Valium, you do not have Valium but the klonopin is close enough. I would personally taper straight from the xanax using the taper schedule I provided before. Did you look up hughes 12 method for tapering?

You may feel some withdrawals if you completely cut out the xanax and start the klonopin but then again you may not? I can assure you though that klonopin is easier to taper than xanax and xanax withdrawal last alot longer than three days! Here's the thing, you cannot rush a benzo taper, there's no quick way through this. You need to taper slow like I mentioned in a earlier post to you, if you taper slow enough you will not have any major problems/withdrawal symptoms if any at all! The slower the taper the better! Trust me on what I'm telling you, if you read through some of the other threads here on the Benzodiazepine-withdrawal forum you'll read about people trying to taper too fast and/or by too much? They suffered immensely and unnecessarily!

Your doctor is wrong about the Lexapro, it can take up to six weeks for an antidepressant to work and that's if it works at all? Antidepressants are hit or miss and it sometimes takes trying several different antidepressants to find the right one? Just take it slow and you'll get off the benzos relatively pain free! Keep posting, ask as many questions as you need to? I'm here to help? Take care... God bless us all!

So I go with you. I ahve not started taking Lexapro yet. So I will not take it. And For Xanax . What You say? How Can I switch to klonopin? I am on 1.25mg of Xanax. Tomorrow morning I will take klonopin and not the xanax. What amount should I take to cover up? And how many doses? As am taking Xanax 3 times a day. How many times should i take klonopin and how much mg? Really thank you for your help.

So I go with you. I ahve not started taking Lexapro yet. So I will not take it. And For Xanax . What You say? How Can I switch to klonopin? I am on 1.25mg of Xanax. Tomorrow morning I will take klonopin and not the xanax. What amount should I take to cover up? And how many doses? As am taking Xanax 3 times a day. How many times should i take klonopin and how much mg? Really thank you for your help.
    Like I said in the last post, if it were me I would taper straight from the xanax using the Hughes 12 shaving method. Have you read up on the Hughes 12 method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) if you haven't already?

I read that method. My question is should I start taking klonopin when I start tapering down on xanax? And is it safe to take them together?. And After tapering down the xanax according to that method which is slow.(but its OK until it cause any symptoms). I have to tapper down klonopin too?.

I read that method. My question is should I start taking klonopin when I start tapering down on xanax? And is it safe to take them together?. And After tapering down the xanax according to that method which is slow.(but its OK until it cause any symptoms). I have to tapper down klonopin too?.
    How much xanax do you have and do you have access to more? I would taper from the xanax only, I wouldn't use the klonopin at all!

I can Purchase xanax for next 6 month or even more. So I just need to tapper down on xanax.?

I can Purchase xanax for next 6 month or even more. So I just need to tapper down on xanax.?
    Yes, that is exactly what I would do! Keep us posted on everything? Good luck and remember, TAKE IT SLOW! Be well... God bless us all!

Can I buy Xanax 0.25mg. So when its time for third dose I can take Xanax 0.25mg. Does two tablets of 0.25mg are equal to 0.5mg? If that the case then I can tapper down more accurately?

1 week ago I tapered down from 1.5mg to 1.25mg and I had no serious side effect.I will keep that dose until the next week and then will start tapering down according to hugs12 method.

Can I buy Xanax 0.25mg. So when its time for third dose I can take Xanax 0.25mg. Does two tablets of 0.25mg are equal to 0.5mg? If that the case then I can tapper down more accurately?
    Yes, 0.25mg pills are available and that is the smallest dosage sold!

So I can take 0.25mg tablets?

To make tapper more accurate ?

So I can take 0.25mg tablets?
    Yes, you can take the 0.25mg tabs. And two 0.25mg tabs = 0.5mg.

Do you live in the states?

I'm heading to bed as it is 5:00am here, I live in Florida. I'll check in with you later this evening. Try not to worry, just keep the taper slow and you'll be just fine! Take care... God bless us all!

No. I am not from USA. And I will start tapper down as i said and post here if need any help. Thanks.

So last night I took Lexapro 10mg with usaul dose of Xanax as doctor said.. I took it before going to bed. But in morning I had very upset stomach and nausea with headaches. Also felt sleepy all day. SO now am not going to take it anymore. And just tapper down the Xanax.

Bad but my alprazolam tapper not gone as i scheduled it. I went from 1.5mg of alprazolam to 1.25mg anthen after few days am back on same dose. So I just starting taking Klonopin in place of 1 dose out of 4 doses of alprazolam. And then just tapper down the alprazolam and increase kolonopin. I took it and felt well more than when I take alprazolam. So I think it will be going well. Thanks. And say away from benzos.