Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By ktippy
Help quitting xanax, low dose
  1. #1
    ktippy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default Help quitting xanax, low dose

    Hi,

    Since March of 2014, I have been prescribed 8 pills of 1mg xanax per month. I make them last 30 days. Some days I take .5 and some days I take .25, but only once per day and sometimes not at all. The last couple of weeks I only take .25mg a day maybe 4-5 times per week. My question is, because I have been on it for almost a year now, how hard would it be to quit? Will I have terrible withdrawal? I don't feel like I take that much, but I have panic attacks a few times a week and it is the only thing that helps effectively. I'm trying to find other ways to deal with it, as I feel I have been on xanax long enough. I keep reading horror stories and I am now scared to stop taking it. Thank you for your help.

    Also, I suffer severe health anxiety and the thought of going off this has me thinking i'm going to die of a seizure or something bad. That is why I want to get off because I don't need things adding to my problem. It has been a blessing but now its time to go.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-05-2015 at 08:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktippy View Post
    That is why I want to get off because I don't need things adding to my problem. It has been a blessing but now its time to go.
    This is exactly how I felt about several medications my doctors put me on. I had catastrophic problems for a few years and I honestly don't know how I would have survived without the medications but the bad times passed and at a certain point it was time for them to go. Each one was difficult to quit but I did it. I was not on Xanax but was on Ativan which is similar. Yes, you might have withdrawal symptoms but unless you stop suddenly don't worry about seizure. Just taper very, very slowly. The Xanax you are taking is a pretty moderate dose even though the mg look small. I recommend you stick to one number every day. Pick a dose that you feel okay with and stablize on that dose. Xanax is short acting and you might be having "interdose withdrawals". This means your anxiety increases during the day if it has been several hours since you dosed. You have the option of asking the doctor to switch you to Valium for tapering. It has a longer half life and gives you smoother blood levels. If you don't want to do that, it might be best to split your dose into several per day to try to keep it level in your system. Read the other threads about tapering down benzos, there is good advice from others on this forum. The basic idea is to reduce by a small percentage, say 10%, stay at that level for several days until you are stable, then reduce again, and so on. It's okay to take weeks or months to do this.
    echo0914 likes this.

  3. #3
    Daverss is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    It's my opinion .
    Since your dose is so low & you have gone a day or 2 without taking it,quitting should be Simple.
    Imo there are many times the Xanax is

    I'd just keep taking a.25 mg a day -to every other day then just quit, I see no need to switch to a longer acting benzo that may make quitting harder.
    + U have really not been on it that long.

    If worst comes to worst tell your dr at your next visit to give you 10-12 .25 mg tabs & taper on those Heck if you can break a 1 mg tab into Quarters you can break the .25,s into smaller doses .
    IMO at this point it's more mental than anything, You have to be ready to quit & just do it.
    GL

  4. #4
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    On the contrary, OP has been on them almost a year which is a long time for benzos, and the dose, while .25 sounds very small, for this particular drug that is misleading. Xanax equivalencies are numerically tiny. Every other day dosing is rather counterproductive for a very short acting benzo, as you will suffer severe anxiety between doses as in fact is happening with the OP. In this particular case, a switch to a long acting benzo with an extremely gradual taper is the best chance to minimize the severe anxiety symptoms while getting off the benzo.
    Daverss likes this.

  5. #5
    ktippy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default

    So would you take .25mg for a whole week and then split that in half for a week, etc.? I have the 1mg pills which I split 4 ways. For the first 6 months I used to take .5mg about 16 days out of the month and for the last 6 months have been coping on .25mg. I haven't gotten any major symptoms on the days I don't take it, except a feeling of uncomfortableness and sometimes heart palpitations. But I also have not gone more than two or three days without it. I don't want to do another benzo. I guess, what I want to know is how do I know when it's ok to just stop taking it all together? Do you do half of .25, half of that, etc? And is it best to take it everyday rather than every other day?
    Daverss likes this.

  6. #6
    Daverss is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    On the contrary, OP has been on them almost a year which is a long time for benzos, and the dose, while .25 sounds very small, for this particular drug that is misleading. Xanax equivalencies are numerically tiny. Every other day dosing is rather counterproductive for a very short acting benzo, as you will suffer severe anxiety between doses as in fact is happening with the OP. In this particular case, a switch to a long acting benzo with an extremely gradual taper is the best chance to minimize the severe anxiety symptoms while getting off the benzo.
    You are Correct, but everybody is different, it largely depends on ones metabolism rate.
    I was think of it like Methadone >>. Oxy. The oxy withdraw is harsher but faster than the longer acting methadone. Like i said all are diff, so many factors come into play when stopping Xanax.

    Then again the Original anxiety may return once one is off the benzos ,so one has to find new coping measures to deal with that.
    It's all a pain , was just saying the op was is on a low dose in general compared to many.
    To each his own method.

  7. #7
    Daverss is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktippy View Post
    So would you take .25mg for a whole week and then split that in half for a week, etc.? I have the 1mg pills which I split 4 ways. For the first 6 months I used to take .5mg about 16 days out of the month and for the last 6 months have been coping on .25mg. I haven't gotten any major symptoms on the days I don't take it, except a feeling of uncomfortableness and sometimes heart palpitations. But I also have not gone more than two or three days without it. I don't want to do another benzo. I guess, what I want to know is how do I know when it's ok to just stop taking it all together? Do you do half of .25, half of that, etc? And is it best to take it everyday rather than every other day?
    That method sounds good to me.
    but
    Do what is most comfortable For You.
    GL
    Daverss

  8. #8
    inxs52 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktippy View Post
    Hi,

    Since March of 2014, I have been prescribed 8 pills of 1mg xanax per month. I make them last 30 days. Some days I take .5 and some days I take .25, but only once per day and sometimes not at all. The last couple of weeks I only take .25mg a day maybe 4-5 times per week. My question is, because I have been on it for almost a year now, how hard would it be to quit? Will I have terrible withdrawal? I don't feel like I take that much, but I have panic attacks a few times a week and it is the only thing that helps effectively. I'm trying to find other ways to deal with it, as I feel I have been on xanax long enough. I keep reading horror stories and I am now scared to stop taking it. Thank you for your help.

    Also, I suffer severe health anxiety and the thought of going off this has me thinking i'm going to die of a seizure or something bad. That is why I want to get off because I don't need things adding to my problem. It has been a blessing but now its time to go.
    You sound like me. Am on a similar dosage with the help of A/D. But why quit ? if it makes your life comfortable, what the point? Its such a low dose and you are cruising on that, cool.
    I believe the A/D imipramine (tofranil) is very good at getting off xanax, if you still wish to....

Similar Threads

  1. 5 year Low dose Xanax taper. Need help!!
    By nachomuchacho8 in forum Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 10:21 PM
  2. Need help please. Long term use of Xanax low dose trying to stop.
    By jwilt2008 in forum Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 02:44 PM
  3. Withdrawing on low dose of Xanax, help!
    By lauraskywalker in forum Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22