How does one get addicted to Benzos/xanax?
    InnerConflict is offline New Member

Default How does one get addicted to Benzos/xanax?

I have been using xanax, probably an average of 2mgs every other day for the past 10 days. Im not sure if thats enough to get hooked (though a 2mg average means starting at 1mg, then going up to my most recent maximum, 4mgs).

this is every other day right now

I am worried about getting physically dependent on them

what can I do?

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. After only 10 days - every other day - you're probably ok. However, you should stop taking them. Xanax is probably the worst benzo out there. You will absolutely become dependent if you continue..which could possibly lead to addiction.

If it were me, I'd do a quick taper just to be safe. I'd probably cut the dose to 2mg (taken every other day) for a few days, then 1mg for a few, then .5mg...until down to nothing. I would assume that after only 10 days, you could probably just stop altogether. But for safety's sake, do a quick taper off.

Hope this helps. Hopefully others will come along. Take care.
    Kat

InnerConflict is offline New Member

Thanks Kat, that was helpful.
    I just finished quitting a bad daily opiate addiction (5 months using 2-3x a day), and did a quick 7 day suboxone taper - I didn't want to get hooked - and its been 7 days since my last 1mg dose (having used a total of 13 mgs in those 7 days). So Im presently withdrawing from that, and insomnia is driving me a bit crazy, and xanax and lyrica is about the only thing keeping me somewhat sane and sleepable these past 7 days. Even if only for like 6 hours in a night, before waking up drenched in sweat and then going back to a half formed state of passing in and out of consciousness for another hour or two, which isnt much rest.

The insomnia is driving me a bit crazy, and I think its mostly due to the restless legs I've been having, but those are dying down, and will hopefully be gone soon.

If anyone else has some input, I'd appreciate it,
    thanks,
    Max