Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ARTIST658
Intermittent clonopin use - how long do I have to wait to know if I will go into w/d?
    wannagetfree is offline New Member

Default Intermittent clonopin use - how long do I have to wait to know if I will go into w/d?

I use 2-4 mg. of clonopin several times a week. I thought with days in between not taking it, I wouldn't have to worry about going through severe withdrawal. Now someone has put the thought in my mind that you only know if you are addicted after going 5-6 days without. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

It is true that sometimes people do not experience w/d symptoms until some days after. It is not a matter of addiction, but body chemistry. Benzodiazapines are extremely addicting. Are you taking 2-4mg. daily? How long have you been taking these? You may want to wean off this medication, benzos are the devil to get away from.
    You do not just c/t benzos even after short use. You need to wean slowly.

Peace,

Iloerose

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by wannagetfree View Post
    I use 2-4 mg. of clonopin several times a week. I thought with days in between not taking it, I wouldn't have to worry about going through severe withdrawal. Now someone has put the thought in my mind that you only know if you are addicted after going 5-6 days without. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

Dear Wannagetfree,

The dosage you are taking (2-4mg a day, several times a week) is quite high; it is beyond any recommended dose. [To give you an idea, taking 2-4 mg a day of klonopin is like taking 40-80 mg of valium. That's a lot!]

The "OPTIMAL" dose for this drug has been found to be 1 mg a day. In fact, studies have shown that higher doses, such as yours, do not increase the effectiveness of this drug. Higher doses do, however, increase the side effects AND increase the chances at dependency and addiction.

There is no sure-fire way to avoid addiction, aside from not taking addictive drugs. We have no way of knowing how our body and brain chemistry will react to such a highly addictive drug. Dependency occurs when the person's body comes to adapt to the presence of the drug in its system, so that going without the drug brings on withdrawal symptoms. With klonopin, that can occur quite quickly, in a matter of a few weeks. Addiction is a step beyond dependency, when the psychological cravings are also present.

Klonopin has a lengthy half-life of up to 50 hours. So skipping a day or two will not bring about withdrawal symptoms, as the drug is still present in your body. In other words, taking a few days between doses is not going to keep you "safe" from dependency or addiction.

Is this a doctor's prescription? Or are you taking this on your own? This is dangerous, powerful drug - and dependency is almost unavoidable, if you take it for any length of time. This is nothing to play around with or take casually.

At whatever point you decide to stop, please heed Rose's advice - it MUST be done very slowly, very gradually, as it can be very dangerous. Seizures are not uncommon. It's best to be done with close supervision of a doctor, and will likely need an anti-seizure drug to do so safely.

God bless,
    Ruth
    iloerose and Sue 4 like this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear.

I have a friend who went for treatment for a pretty bad benzo habit, in a hospital, and they titrated her down using valium one time, Librium the next time, and Depakote. It took five days. So I don't understand all the posts about it taking a year to get off.

Anyway, I hope I'm done with 'em. I just don't know how I would handle it if I did start to go into w/drawal. I can't imagine a hospital ER giving you a script to titrate down. I have no insurance and no family doctor, very little money. Would I go to the ER and hope they would know about this sort of thing?

Thanks again.

How many days have you been off of these? Like Ruth said Klonipin has a longer half life. Depakote is an anti-seizure medication. As Ruth said, seizures are not uncommon with benzo drugs.

Iloerose

I've been off as long as 3-4 days at times. I took 1 mg. last Friday, 1 Xanax (a bar) on Saturday, nothing on Sunday, 6 mg. Tuesday and 6 mg. Wednesday. That's not usual, though. Usually I have more days in between. I realize I am treading in dangerous territory here. I'm scared to death. Scared straight, you might say. It's just not an option to continue taking it.

Should I alert the people around me (it would kill them, my daughter) that I may have a seizure or be proactive and see a doctor and get an anti-seizure medication and some Librium to titrate down with?????

Thanks to all.

You should be darned scared. Benzo's are worse than >>>>>>e, worse than methadone, they are probably the worst drug to detox from. However it can be done, but slow and steady wins the race. If you can do this with a doctors help, all the better. I don't know about the librium, but the anti-seizure medicine is a must and you cannot go willy nilly from one benzo to another to get free of these. You need a steady supply of preferably klonipin to taper from.

lotus930 is offline Junior Member

Unfortunately I think I am once again in this boat. I've been tapering off of Suboxone. I, like so many others who have used opiates, have extreme anxiety. I went to a Psychiatrists and got myself prescribed Klonipon. I guess I've been taking it daily now for the last few weeks. Yes, I too, thought skipping days would help, but unfortunately the half life with this medication doesn't really help out with this idea. I've been through benzo withdrawal before and its freaking horrible. Methadone, >>>>>> Detox were nothing in comparison. But, I thought the Klonipon wouldn't have been as addictive as the Xanax and I wanted to use something to help during the tapering off subs. After almost 3 weeks on 1mg. the other night I just freaking lost it. I couldn't stand feeling up and down. I'm in recovery for 3 years and I could feel the F its coming on. I took 2mg at 2 a.m and that prior day I was feeling so depressed that i took about 3-4 mgs of Klonipon. I didn't sleep all night I was speeding around all day with only 2 mg of Suboxone in me and the remnants of the Klonipon was still lingering so I felt totally out of it. I'm beginning to tired of all this bull???? but my fear has taken over right now and I'm losing control. I'm an addict and who was I kidding to think that I could "taper" myself off of this medication without losing it eventually....now with the benzo's how could I have done this again. I know when I need to take it. I begin to shake and something weird goes on with my hearing. I've had seizures weeks after coming off benzodiazipines. It's just crazy. To top it off my Psychiatrists cut me off of the Klonipon as my Suboxone dr. called her and informed her that I was on Suboxone. I'm a bit upset about that. Nothing stays private anymore. I have to own my part in that I should've been honest, but like any good alcoholic, I had a plan to help me manage the Post Acute Withdrawals associated with Suboxone Detox. Unfortunately its easier for Dr.s to prescribe Sub and when its time to take the patients off they think they can walk out the door after getting to 1mg. Just ridiculous how uninformed they are. If they did some research they would realize that its a myth that patients do not feel withdrawal symptoms on a slow taper. The insomnia, anxiety, loss of appetite, nausea, and especially the depression that comes with coming off of opiates. I wish there was a suboxone detox in my area in a local hospital that could help me. I'm just thinking of using opiates again just to come off the subs. TOtally freaking out...

Lotus:
    1. What are you using subs to detox from?
    2. How many mg. sub are you taking? How often?
    3. How much K-pin are you taking and how long have you been on them?

Now the lecture part. There is not PAWS associated with subs, necessarily what there is, is a bad induction that can put you int PRECIPITATED W/D, which is not fun. This is the sub protocol recommended here:
    First you must score a 26 on the COWS (google one) sheet.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Read that link and get back with me. You are tapering in the wrong way. You wouldn't be experiencing the level of w/d you are if you were doing this the right way.

The reason you were cut off the k-pin is that benzos are dangerous to take with subs. You proved that by taking 3-4mg. k-pin at once. You don't need benzos to taper subs. You can DIE doing this. Subs are after all, an opiate.

If you want to try to get on track, let me know and I'll try to help you. I wish you luck and I know you are going through heck.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    Lotus:

If you want to try to get on track, let me know and I'll try to help you. I wish you luck and I know you are going through heck.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Thank you for your caring concern.

Marilyn

Marilyn, How are you? I truly am concerned having been there myself with xanax.

Rose

I haven't stopped long enough (more than a couple of days) to truly know how it's going to be, so today I haven't had any, and I expect I will know by mid-week if things are going to get bad. As I said before, I may be proactive and go to a doc before anything hits, not knowing whether it's going to or not, and 'fessing up and seeing if he will dispense anti-seizure and a mild benzo, as they do in the benzo withdrawal clinics here where I live (Portland, OR). I'm ashamed to say I took methadone yesterday and today, am VERY disgusted with myself and very sad that my commitment to abstinence is so paper-thin. What kind of loser am I, anyway?

I will keep you posted, and I do appreciate your concern. I really do.

How did you do when you went off the xanax? How long did you go without before symptoms started hitting you? Would you mind sharing that with me? Or if you've written it in another thread, maybe you could point me in that direction.

I'm not happy with myself at all right now. This self-saboteur is a sick woman inside me, and I cannot figure out why this level of self-loathing, unless I am reflecting how I thought my mother always felt about me. I could be wrong, but it just seems like from my birth, it hurt her to look at me, as if I were loathsome to her. That's a pretty toxic thing to live with and just about impossible to get it out of one's bloodstream.

Thanks for caring and asking.

Marilyn

Marilyn: It's best to go to a doctor for a taper off of K-pin. Xanax is a whole different beast as it has a very short half life. So it really acts fast when you just stop. Benzo's react on the Gabba receptors, again a different beast altogether from opiates, meaning that the methadone will not work to help with benzo w/d. Xanax has a half life of of 6-8 hours so you go into w/d FAST. Symptoms: shakiness, feels like your heart is beating faster than it is, INSOMNIA, dysphoria: like everthing's unreal and you are not connected, seizure though I didn't have any. One thing about these medicines is that everyone is different as far as length and severity of w/d. A good thing about the klonipin is that it has a long half life and is easier to taper as you're not going into w/d every few hours. You can get more info at benzo.org.uk. This is the Ashton protocol for benzo w/d. There is also a forum/information at benzobuddies.org. But you should taper there is a high risk of seizure. I've heard of people reporting symptoms not really starting until a week or so has gone by. BE CAREFUL. Benzo w/d can also really, really mess with your head.

As for opiate use: if you are not taking opiates on a regular basis DON'T. I think when you're addicted to opiates it makes the world look bleaker and can make you depressed.

As addicts, (I'm not saying you are) we are all self-saboteurs. And taking our DOC of choice might make us think we go to oblivion to feel better, it really doesn't. For me, it made the self loathing worse. I am so sorry about what your childhood was like and how your mother treated you. What was your relationship like? Maybe it was a projection. I guess, I feel like I made my son feel that way sometimes. Not intentionally, because I love him and have always loved him with all my heart and soul. I'm just a private and introverted person. Not always as social or demonstrative as I should be, I guess. But therapy may help you. In fact if you are dumping benzos I highly recommend you do so: either through therapy or through NA, CR, something. Benzo's really, really mess with your head.

For benzo w/d: stay away from processed foods. stay hydrated. you might try meditation. people are on the fence about supplements that you can take that will actually help. One that many agree actually helps is L-theanine (sp?). One thing that doesn't help is any type of opiate. But don't detox from both at once.

Look up the xanax w/d thread and look for a member named murugappan_rm51. He put the last part of his taper on that thread.
    You can do this. You just can't run to drugs to solve your problems. This board is full of people that have been there done that, including me.

Peace,

Iloerose

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Dear Marilyn,

After you asked about the PM function, I looked to see if you had your own thread going, where we could talk. I found this one, so I hope you'll get an email update, to see this. Feel free to ask away... it's the best I can offer for messaging without interrupting someone else's thread.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.