Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stack1230
Klonopin Taper Need help please 1.25mg 6 months
    stack1230 is offline New Member

Default Klonopin Taper Need help please 1.25mg 6 months

Hi guys, another one stuck in the klonopin/benzo bus. That was blindly givin by a Dr. then became somewhat hooked. My Dr... advised cold turkey, or "whatever makes you feel good".
    So now here I am an idiot stuck in there system.

I started benzos. Since late December of this year 2014. Could say. January. So its been a good 6-7 months. I used Xanax and klonopin only. for a good 3-4 months I used Xanax then quick switched to klonopin. My usual dosing has been 1mg for both. for 3-4months of the Xanax was probably .5 mg.

Currently on 1.5 mg of klonopin and I took that for I would say 3 months straight.
    From the information ive gathered im thinking of doing a .25 mg cut every week till off.
    Does this sound ok given the duration and somewhat low dosing ive been taking? So far ive been tapering im on day 4. so right now im taking 1.25mg klonopin. Havent felt much, just alittle (dizzy at times)... more hungry.. some muscle tension.

Here is my plan

X= completed

.5 .5 .25x Week1
    .5 .5. 25x
    .5 .5. 25x
    .5 .5. 25x
    .5 .5. 25
    .5 .5. 25
    .5 .5 .25
    Week 2
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    .5 .25 .25
    Week 3
    .25 .25 .25
    .25 .25.25
    .25 .25 .25
    .25 .25 .25
    .25 .25 .25
    .25 .25 .25
    .25 .25 .25
    Week 4
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    .25 .25
    Week 5
    x
    x
    x
    -off

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

It's a bit fast. They recommend cutting by 5-10% per week or until stable. Your first week cut is 16%, a bit high, but because you are cutting by the same absolute amount (.25mg) each week becomes a higher percent.

Week 2 is a 20% cut. (.25/1.25)

Week 3 is a 25% cut and week 4 is a 33% cut. Follow me?

Better to calculate no more than 10% from each weeks new dose and take that down to a very low level, then jump off. Now, if you are able to follow this schedule with little or no symptoms, great! But if you begin to have severe symptoms then you'll want to slow it down. You feel okay so far, that's a good sign. You could try sticking to this and see how it goes but if you de-stabilize then re-do your schedule using a fixed percent not a fixed amount.

I appreciate the advise, so far im on day 5 of cutting .25mg. Feelin alittle better then the initial start.
    Would you recommend I do less next week?
    I honestly just want to be on the safe side, but yet again want off this drug. My Dr said I could even go faster if I wanted. I don't know if I should trust that. If anything what about holding the .25mg cuts for 10 days. Rather then 7. Would that be safer?

also how do you measure %10 percent out of your dose?
    would .125mg cut (1/4 of .5mg) every 7 days until nothing be safer?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

If you feel stable after only 5 days then you are doing well. No need to make it 10, maybe keeping it at 7 days is good. You don't need to worry about it being safer. This amount of taper is sufficient to protect from seizures I would think. The thing is just your comfort and functionality. If you feel fine with each cut then go ahead with it.

What I did was evaluate every week. I made a taper plan but then changed it as I went to fit how I was feeling. So you can speed it up a bit like your doctor said if you feel very well. But for a lot of people they need to go a bit more slowly.

Calculating 10% from whatever dose you are on, it can get pretty inconvenient slicing the pills smaller and smaller so don't bother with that unless you become uncomfortable with symptoms. If you have moderate or severe symptoms and want to go to smaller cuts, you can go to a liquid taper. This is grinding up a pill and mixing with water or some use milk, and measuring amounts for a very slow taper.

But honestly because you seem to be doing well at this point I don't think it will be necessary for you to do that. There are websites devoted to helping people taper down benzos. Not sure I should say what they are because of policy of this website but if you google the general subject you will find some extremely popular and helpful sites with very detailed information about doing this. Not that this site is bad, but just does not specialize in benzo taper. There are sites with charts and measurements if you really want suggested taper schedules.

If you stay with dry cutting then the most you can cut is 1/8 pill, really 1/4 is better, you can slow it a bit by doing that but to get more precise you really need to go to liquid taper. It's a lot of trouble and not worth it if you continue to feel reasonably well. But if you begin to have bad symptoms then it is well worth figuring out the details of doing a liquid taper.

Member21 is offline Junior Member

Default Subbing 1 addiction for this

I got off Vicodin and the doc gave me Klonopin 0.5 mg to help June 5. Instructions were as needed for withdrawal no more than 4 per day. I passed out taking 1 the first time so took half when I felt jittery at night and a quarter of one during the day. I have been trying to get off Klonopin for a month now. I only take a quarter of one at night but toss and turn after a few hours then take another quarter and sleep for a few more hours. I have been in exhaustion 90% of July. I just don't seem to acclimate. So, I'm on 0.25 mg for a month now per day. I notice that muscles are tense from waist down during day. I also notice that when I don't work and can sleep in, I feel ok then get real hyper that night and can't sleep next day. This is insane. I have subbed one addiction for another. I looked at the detox above and should be able to start week 5. I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do week 5 and hope for the best. I've been stuck in week 4 long enough and want this over with.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
    Member21
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.

melindau is offline Member

Hi 21
    there is a site called http://www.benzo.org.uk/ it is the best site to help you get off benzo's when I did I jumped off way to soon and had myself a big mess you want to go off of them slowly... keep us posted on how your doing so we can try to give you some advice ... Melinda

Thanks, I'm reading it. I called Dr. this morning and he was no help. Said 0.25 mg shouldn't have much effect and wouldn't bother sleep and I could just quit. Then gave me a sleep Doc to call. Yeh right. I didn't take any last night and only slept a few hours. I feel a lot of muscle tension so decided to take a quarter of 0.5mg tab. Hasn't helped much.
    I hate this. I didn't go to work today.
    Why is my body so stubborn and sensitive to this?

Frustrated.

I haven't slept in 2 nights. Last night I took 2 Unisoms then 2 more about 4 hours later and only slept about 2 hours in early morning hours. I couldn't drive so home again today. Not sure what to do. Dr. said .25 mg isn't enough to have an effect so another idiot doc got me on drugs and I'm in trouble. I have to sleep. How long does withdrawal last after not taking any from taking 0.25 mg/day for 1 month after taking 1-2 mg the first month. I have read about symptoms and taper but no how long withdrawal lasts.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
    Member 21

melindau is offline Member

Hi 21
    Ugh!!! I have gone thru w/d from benzo's a couple times...NO Fun! I know your going to say Im crazy..but if you could do a few minutes of exercise it will really help...run in place if you have to...benzo's make your mussels really tight when you go off of them...it seem like sleep just wont come..but it will and it will feel like the best thing that ever happened to you when it does!!! LOL..your doctor is Dead Wrong when he said it wont hurt to go off at that low of does... there just Stupid.. let them try it and see how it feels Right...You will make it thru this...Keep telling yourself everything will be ok.. your brain needs to hear that right now..keep posting to us... it really helps,Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melindau View Post
    Hi 21
    Ugh!!! I have gone thru w/d from benzo's a couple times...NO Fun! I know your going to say Im crazy..but if you could do a few minutes of exercise it will really help...run in place if you have to...benzo's make your mussels really tight when you go off of them...it seem like sleep just wont come..but it will and it will feel like the best thing that ever happened to you when it does!!! LOL..your doctor is Dead Wrong when he said it wont hurt to go off at that low of does... there just Stupid.. let them try it and see how it feels Right...You will make it thru this...Keep telling yourself everything will be ok.. your brain needs to hear that right now..keep posting to us... it really helps,Melinda
    Agree excersize is really helping me right now, litteralty turn on your favorite music and just dance. It will loosen up tension.
    I'm progressing so far it's been alittle bit of a rollercoaster.
    I'm on 1mg right now two .5s everyday
    My next cut is gonna be a tad bit slower 1/4 aka .125mg

I'm doing the cut .125mg 1/4 of a .5...
    Until off I hope I don't have much wd. Things get easier when I stabilize on a new dose after 5 days then I feel somewhat normal.

Just fight this thing, and do it safely. Read up as much as you can.
    melindau likes this.

Thanks everyone,
    I had started exercising by walking/running around building then coming in and running in place and have weights while I'm running. It's about 15 min of workout. It didn't seem to help at first but last night it did.
    I went from 0.25 mg to just stopping because I already wasn't sleeping on that. I tried taking that for almost a month then just gave up and quit. I take 0.125 mg every other day but don't plan to take anymore. I only took 1 mg at the most for a few weeks then backed off to 0.25 mg then quit. I started June 5.
    I still wonder how long withdrawals being on this low dose for a short time will last.

Member 21

I thought I could just wean off after starting 1/4 4 times a day then spending 9 weeks cutting back by 10%. I slept ok for 1 week then quit sleeping again even before cutting back. I finally went to doc and got Elavil to help sleep and cut back to 1/4 3x/day for 3 days then 1/4 twice a day for a week. then go back in for a visit. I'm so depressed about this I don't really care about living if this doesn't work. I'm tired of getting on drugs by docs that don't know what their doing and no hope of getting off without losing so much work i lose job.