Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Klonopin Wean
    Unicorn74 is offline Member

Default Klonopin Wean

And so it begins... Another wean schedule. I successfully weaned off of antidepressants year before last, Adderall in January and 7 weeks ago did a cold turkey jump off of opiates. Getting off of opiates was the hardest most hellish thing I've had to go through and I'm still not out of the woods as far as my brain chemicals go - still have major anxiety issues and agoraphobia, which I didn't have prior. Now I want to get rid of the Klonopin so I can be free of addictive prescription medications that alter your brain chemistry.

I am currently prescribed 1-2mgs/day. Today, I discussed this with my doc and he wanted to try a slow wean by prescribing 120 .5mg pills per month, where I quarter a .5 to 4x.125 and remove that amount (.125mg) from my daily dose. He told me to hold at that amount until I feel adjusted then keep doing that until I'm weaned down to zero. I agreed to try this method, but I've also read that the Ashton Manual suggests using Valium to do this wean.

I'm scared to do this because I've developed anxiety even at the maintained dose I've been at for the last 3+ years. Now Klonopin doesn't call me, my brain has gotten used to it and I will not increase. I want off! Any experience, suggestions or comments?

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn74 View Post
    And so it begins... Another wean schedule. I successfully weaned off of antidepressants year before last, Adderall in January and 7 weeks ago did a cold turkey jump off of opiates. Getting off of opiates was the hardest most hellish thing I've had to go through and I'm still not out of the woods as far as my brain chemicals go - still have major anxiety issues and agoraphobia, which I didn't have prior. Now I want to get rid of the Klonopin so I can be free of addictive prescription medications that alter your brain chemistry.

I am currently prescribed 1-2mgs/day. Today, I discussed this with my doc and he wanted to try a slow wean by prescribing 120 .5mg pills per month, where I quarter a .5 to 4x.125 and remove that amount (.125mg) from my daily dose. He told me to hold at that amount until I feel adjusted then keep doing that until I'm weaned down to zero. I agreed to try this method, but I've also read that the Ashton Manual suggests using Valium to do this wean.

I'm scared to do this because I've developed anxiety even at the maintained dose I've been at for the last 3+ years. Now Klonopin doesn't call me, my brain has gotten used to it and I will not increase. I want off! Any experience, suggestions or comments?
    Hi Uni - glad to see you're ready to tackle the benzos now! That taper seems to be a bit too aggressive and fast? How much have you been taking per day on average? What exactly does the doc want you start taking per day now? You'll be fine doing the taper with the Klonopin alone, there is no need to switch to Valium! As long as you are on a slow enough taper you'll be okay, the Klonopin has a long half-life similar to the Valium! If at anytime you are feeling too uncomfortable or the withdrawals are too much you can slow the taper down either by dosage, time between reductions or both? The recommended taper for benzos is 5-10% every 5-7 days or so? I hope this helps? What do you think? Take care... God bless us all!
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

Unicorn74 is offline Member

Hi Ricky, so good to hear from you! I've been taking Klonopin 1-2 mgs daily for 3 years or so. Prior to that, I've been taking it off and on, on an as needed basis only. A doctor told me I should take it daily a few years ago to maintain a stable dose instead of taking it as needed, to "get ahead of the anxiety". How I wish I never would have listened to that advice!

Most days I take 1mg. I only ever take more if my anxiety is so big I can't function. I've noticed the 1mg doesn't really do much anymore and I think my brain has adjusted to it.

Great news to hear that it's doable with the Klonopin alone. With my doc's taper, it would be a 12.5% decrease - too big, right? So, I'm thinking I can try and cut the .125 in half to make it less of a drop. Then it would be closer to 7% decrease.

Is it better to take it in 2-3 doses per day, while weaning? I take 1mg every night before bed, but maybe I should be taking part in the am and part in the pm?

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn74 View Post
    Hi Ricky, so good to hear from you! I've been taking Klonopin 1-2 mgs daily for 3 years or so. Prior to that, I've been taking it off and on, on an as needed basis only. A doctor told me I should take it daily a few years ago to maintain a stable dose instead of taking it as needed, to "get ahead of the anxiety". How I wish I never would have listened to that advice!

Most days I take 1mg. I only ever take more if my anxiety is so big I can't function. I've noticed the 1mg doesn't really do much anymore and I think my brain has adjusted to it.

Great news to hear that it's doable with the Klonopin alone. With my doc's taper, it would be a 12.5% decrease - too big, right? So, I'm thinking I can try and cut the .125 in half to make it less of a drop. Then it would be closer to 7% decrease.

Is it better to take it in 2-3 doses per day, while weaning? I take 1mg every night before bed, but maybe I should be taking part in the am and part in the pm?
    The slower the taper the better, especially with benzos. Slow and steady wins the race, the point is to have very little to no withdrawal getting off the Klonopin! I would remain taking it just once a day at night like you have been. As I mentioned before, a 5-10% taper every 5-7 days is ideal and should work well for you? Keep us updated? You'll be fine just take it slow! Good luck... God bless us all!