Lorazepam - I am doomed. How do I get off these?
    imageekuk is offline New Member

Default Lorazepam - I am doomed. How do I get off these?

I love Lorazepam when I was first put on them, they were a life saver. My psych put me on them for sever anxiety (also taking meds for sever depression). I took one, and I was normal again.

Anyway, I've been on them 3 months, maybe a little longer. 1mg daily. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago and she refused to give them to me. New doctor and all. So contacted my psych. and he gave me 14 days worth until my next appointment with him. Well, my next appointment with him was 21 days, not 14. But, he only gives me 14 days at a time - probably to avoid over using them, which I've never done.

I was meant to take one yesterday, but I had one left. So I thought, I will save this one and go cold turkey and if I need it I will take it. In the meantime I will call my psych. and get some more until my appointment with him on the 24th.

Woke up today, felt okish. Then I started feeling sick. I was heaving. My stomach was going all over the place. Horrible cramps. Couldn't focus. Nasty anxiety. You know the drill. I couldn't sleep last night at all, fell asleep at 6am.

So, I just took one, and 10 minutes later no withdrawal symptoms. All normal again.

I am addicted to these horrible drugs. Not so much mentally, but defiantly physically dependant on them.

I am waiting for a call back from my psych. to arrange more meds. No idea if he will call back, but if he doesn't then tomorrow I am doomed. I can not go through that withdrawal. Honestly. Its really bad. I hardly lasted 24 hours, I can't do weeks of this.

How do I get off these? Will I ever get off them? Am I going to be dependant on these for life?

I don't want to be on them, but then I'm worried that when they do taper I won't be able to handle reality and life and go straight back to how I was before. Catch 22 I guess. Can't do with them, can't do without them.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-19-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Now I am totally stuck. My psyc. didn't call me back. I spoke to receptionist and she said the notes say that after this 14 I can't have any more. I explained they can't pull me off them like that, and she said the psyc. will review and call me back.

It's Saturday. Everywhere is closed now. So this weekend I defiantly have non.

I'm going to go straight into A&E tonight I think. I am not a nice person when withdrawing from these, and I couldn't cope with it without help.

So here goes. I will keep the thread updated.

Ripping someone off Lorazepam without a plan to taper is very bad!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You do not want to go off these c/t. I don't know what A&E is, but going c/t from a benzo can be downright dangerous. Seizures can occur, unlike opiate w/d, benzo w/d can and is dangerous. If you are going c/t do not be alone. I suggest you either call that psych every hour and bother the heck out him/her or try emergency. You do need to taper these.

How are you doing today?

Peace,

Iloerose

Protagoras is offline New Member

Drop the psych if he doesn't agree to refill you to at least .5 mg daily and begin tapering you, and find a new family doctor, both sound disinterested and unsympathetic. If your family doctor won't help you in this situation, they aren't the right doc for you. 1 mg ativan daily is a low dose, surely nothing to raise an abuse alarm from any doc, ridiculous that your family doc won't help. Even though it is a low dose to come off of, it can still be hellish physically and psychologically to go from 1mg daily for 3 months to zero.

Sounds like it's been a day since you took your last ativan. I would suggest going to the pharmacy and getting generic benadryl (diphenhydramine 25mg). It is used as a sleep aid and may give you some relief, pick up some immodium as well, you may need it. The good news is your daily dose was low and you were only on it for 3 months, so while going without will not be fun, you should be able to make it until your psych refills you or you find a new family doc who is willing to assist you. Otherwise, you should start feeling much better in a 7-10 days, even though it will feel like a month. Any exercise you can manage will help, especially a nice bike ride, or drive to a park and force yourself to go for a walk. I know it hurts, but you will feel better if you do it. Good luck.

It's approaching 24 hours now. The first 24 hours are okish, jsut very slight ill feelings. It's tonight and tomorrow when it will hit. I've been here before (14 days ago). And it was after 24 hours that it hit hard.

Right now I am feeling more and more anxious. Anxiety is increasing bad. I'm also feeling agitated, aggressive type thoughts. I've kept myself in the bedroom away from partner at the moment because I seem to be causing a lot of arguments. I think she knows the signs.

Tomorrow I'll be puking up, shaking, sweating, headaches, sever anxiety attacks. I am dreading it because I can feel it happening slowly.

Also, today I can't eat. Cooked 2 meals and binned them both. Lost my appetite completely, which doesn't help because that'll spark more anxiety when I start to feel weak.

Also, today I can't eat. Cooked 2 meals and binned them both. Lost my appetite completely, which doesn't help because that'll spark more anxiety when I start to feel weak.

Protagoras is offline New Member

Since you said "binned" it just occurred to me that you may live in the UK. If so, I thought the NHS was less strict with certain controlled substances, there's nothing you can get without a scrip as an effective temporary sedative until you work out your ativan scrip issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Protagoras View Post
    Since you said "binned" it just occurred to me that you may live in the UK. If so, I thought the NHS was less strict with certain controlled substances, there's nothing you can get without a scrip as an effective temporary sedative until you work out your ativan scrip issues?
    I got a call back from the my mental health team, but because it's a weekend theres no way to get a script sorted. I've been told to call 111 (like 911, but for less sever cases). They are getting a nurse to call back and hopefully get something sorted until Monday.

Even the nurse from my mental health team said stopping the meds suddenly is never advised. Just in bed now trying to relax as much as possible.

I do have some anti psychotics - Quetiapine - here that knock you out within 15 minutes, but I don't want to take them if at all possible because they're nasty.

You o.k., Imageekuk? Hope everything works out for you.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    You o.k., Imageekuk? Hope everything works out for you.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Hey Iberose, yeah I'm fine.

Doctor came out and gave me script for 2. Doctor explained that my dose is very very unlikely to cause any sever reactions, and she reminded me of the time I went cold turkey on 60mg of Citalopram. She said side effects from stopping is going to happen with any drug you take for a period of time, but the length of time I have taken lorazepam, and the dose, shouldn't cause problems.

So. I have the 2 tablets here still. Not took them. I decided to cold turkey but keep the 2 incase I need them. It turns out so far I dont.

I am having some side effects, but they are doable now. If they get bad I smoke a bit of cannabis (not advised but doctor replied with "I hear you" and laughed), which really does help with the feeling sick, and fixes the loss of appetite symptom.

I'm not feeling as mentally "high" but I feel the lorazepam causes a false sense of "happiness", and now I'm coming back to reality.

I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 weeks ago. Quick drinking a few months back. And now I want to be med free. I'm starting the gym Monday, and looking for work. That's needed I think to feel happy, healthy, and partly secure in life.

I'll make a thread diary of my cold turkey so others can follow.

How are you doing? I hope all is well with you and you are getting through this w/d. Exercise helps. Let us know how you are!!

Peace,

Iloerose

drewfree1989 is offline New Member

Yeah you could get really really sick. My wife ended up in re for 3 days and couldn't speak. I'm serious. Go to re and tell them your out and don't have access to any because it could be life situation. They will give you some and maybe call you doc and explain dangers of this. Do it man..

loveleafs16 is offline New Member

I am so sorry this is happening to you! Ativan is one that you are not supposed to take long term due to the addictive side effects to this narcotic. My doctor will give me 12 at a time but I generally only get 12 a year. I am on Celexa for anxiety and I take this daily and only take Ativan if I have a really bad panic attack. Maybe talk to your doctor and see if you can go on something that you can take daily.