Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Low dose Klonopin Withdrawal? Please help
    Jack7789 is offline New Member

Default Low dose Klonopin Withdrawal? Please help

I have bad lifelong anxiety. I take a .25 dose of Klonopin for anxiety as needed. I know it's a low dose but please read this.

I've been taking Klonopin every other day for four months in a row. Sometimes I take Klonopin multiple days in a row, but on average I've been taking them every other day, for four months.

After four months, I ran low on them. I kept putting off making a doctors appointment because I couldn't figure out if I wanted more of these or if I want to get off of these.

So I started trying to save the pills I had left by only taking a klonopin once every two or three days. I noticed that after I went about three days or so without taking once I started feeling crazy. And ever since then I can't even go like two days in a row without taking one or I start feeling crazy.

Here are my symptoms that keep coming and going:

- Confusion

- My head feels kind of zonked. I don't feel light-headed or dizzy and I don't have a headache.. my head just feels...zonked. It's hard to explain.

- Bad memory

- Hard to focus on talking. Hard to communicate

- Hard to read

- I want to elaborate on the confusion part: I feel confused sometimes even while doing simple things like opening a drawer and retrieving an item. Like really confused. I locked myself out of the house, I broke a dish, threw away my ipod and didn't realize it until later, etc.

- I feel like I'm sort of losing my mind a little

I notice that when I take a klonopin after a few hours I start to feel a little better and than I feel ok for a day even though I don't feel THAT great. Then if I don't take another Klonopin for about two days in a row, all the bad symptoms start coming back.

I don't have many pills left and I'm going to go to the doctors ASAP and ask what I should do.

All I want to know is, IS THIS REALLY POSSIBLE? Am I really going through withdrawal? I didn't think such a low dose could do this to me, but I've been taking it for four months, every other day, and I think maybe it's built up in my system (I know they have a long half life etc) and now when I try to stop taking them I start feeling bad.

I want to know if this sounds like Klonopin withdrawal or if this sounds like I'm just going crazy?

Depression and anxiety runs in my family and I've had bad days in the past wgere I feel ?????? and can't concentrate and stuff but I don't think I've ever had so many consecutive days in a row where I've felt so confused and out of my mind and it sure is funny how when I take a klonopin I start to feel a little better.

I just want to know if you guys think I'm right about this being benzo withdrawal. Or is my semi-daily .25 dose too low for this and maybe something else is wrong with me?

Thanks.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Four months is plenty of time for you to become dependent enough on it to start feeling w/d symptoms. It sounds normal. When you have your appointment you need to discuss your symptoms with your Doctor and have them taper you down off the drug. If your counting and panicking I'd say it's probably time to try and get off it. It's lost its therapeutic value and now become an addictive nuisance.
    biffwas62 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

I agree with RX queen But def get to your doctor and discuss ASAP. I call what you have Brain Fog Its the only way i can describe it and it is one of the very first symptoms that hit me if i am missing a dose of either suboxone or zanex and i cant stand it for me its the worst part. I can deal with the sweats chills stomach issues and kicks etc but when you literally CANT think It makes WD so difficult. Its almost like your so spaced out you might have to remember to even breath. Thank God it doesn't effect you that way but I think you get my point its horrible so confusing. However I find that once i have my dose it clears itself up rather quickly and does not linger. Best of luck to you i hope the 4 month and low dose allow you to get this monkey off your back

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Hi Jack,

I agree that these are classic symptoms of klonopin withdrawal. I work in a treatment center for women, and this is what I see all the time. I also experienced it myself more than a decade ago, so I do understand how frightening it is.

Be perfectly clear with your doctor that you want to taper off this slowly, with his help. Many doctors, sadly, are ignorant of the extent of difficulty that accompanies withdrawal from this drug. They don't see what I see in my work. I see folks AFTER the problem has developed and people need to stop. Doctors generally see people who are taking the drug and still functioning with it.

Regardless what this doctor says, please insist on a concrete plan to taper down and stop the drug. The longer you stay on it, the more dependent your body will become - and the tougher the withdrawal will be. Trust me - I was on it for 9 years, and went through a horrific time stopping it. I knew little about these things back then, so I wasn't given the benefit of a proper, gradual tapering. Now that I work in the field, I know what works - and what doesn't.

Tapering is essential - this is not a drug to stop "cold-turkey" as you will run the risk of seizures. The more gradual the taper, the better.

I hope you'll keep us posted.

God bless,
    Ruth
    PTW, Pegaboomer, Sue 4 and 1 others like this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

PTW
    PTW is offline New Member

Default I Know the Pain!!!

Hey Jack, sounds like withdraws to me. I was on benzos since 1999 and got off of them July 4 2011. Klonopin was the last one I was takeing, was from 2005 to 2011. I repeatedly tried to taper off cause the longer you are on them the harder it is to quit. My Psychiatrist insisted that I would have to be a lifer on these meds, antidepressants also. I will have to admit, these meds work and fast, but is like a bandage, just covers the symptoms but not fixing the problem. God Bless
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.

TJK
    TJK is offline New Member

What you're feeling is most definitely withdrawal symptoms even with what you think is a low dose. I've have 40 years experience with Benzo's and as you get older they get more severe and life-threatening. Withdrawal symptoms from low-dose dependence typically last six to 12 months and gradually improve over that time period.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-15-2012 at 10:58 PM.

MerryMiss is offline New Member

I was prescribed clonazepam (Klonipin) for depression after my mother died. Big medical no no. I have been on the medication for around 10 years now, and have desperately been trying to get off of it. I have learned that you must go very slow when discontinuing this drug. When I was hopitalized, the Dr.'s refused to administer the dose of clonazepam that I was on, they just stopped the drug cold turkey. My symptoms were horrendous and I thought I would never get out of that place, I went into nuerogenic shock, and when I got out of hospital my Psych started me back on it. The relief was fantastic. That is the devil behind this drug in that when you step down on dosage you feel it and want to take another pill for relief. Pray for me as I am weening of this medication also. God's blessing be upon you.
    Sue 4 likes this.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

And keep in mind; .25 mg is not really a LOW dose of any benzo. It's actually a fairly standard dose, but it's not truly LOW. You cannot compare the doses of benzo's to other drugs. For instance, .25 mg of percocet would be fairly useless. .25 mg of Tylenol would be as well. .25 mg of klonopin or xanax would knock a non tolerant user right out. And yes it is enough to become addicted/physically dependant on. I've tried to have my fiance understand this concept for years. He argued with his physician that 1 mg of Klonopin was "not enough" before he even tried it. Considering the strongest generic on the market is in 2 mg form, he's wrong. You can't compare different drug dosages. .25 mg is plenty to get you hooked.

Sue 4 is offline New Member

MerryMiss, I can relate to you. After 17 long years Blindly taking 1.5MG Klonopin I ran out due to bad weather, late mail delivery. After 5 days I thought I was going to die! My sister had to rush me to the E.R. So to Jack7789, YES it is withdrawal symptoms! I had no idea this drug was so dangerous. I made up my mind to ask my Dr. to help me taper off this poison. He gets upset and gives me only 2 weeks!! I had extra so I am using the dry cut method .5mg once a day for a month; then .025mg for 3 or 4 months and pray it's over. (Everyone is different) Praying for everyone trying to get off Benzos, (worse drug to get out of your system! I read it's worse than >>>>>> or cocaine. Although I never used anything except meds. from Dr. Which I came to learn is FAR WORSE. Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryMiss View Post
    I was prescribed clonazepam (Klonipin) for depression after my mother died. Big medical no no. I have been on the medication for around 10 years now, and have desperately been trying to get off of it. I have learned that you must go very slow when discontinuing this drug. When I was hopitalized, the Dr.'s refused to administer the dose of clonazepam that I was on, they just stopped the drug cold turkey. My symptoms were horrendous and I thought I would never get out of that place, I went into nuerogenic shock, and when I got out of hospital my Psych started me back on it. The relief was fantastic. That is the devil behind this drug in that when you step down on dosage you feel it and want to take another pill for relief. Pray for me as I am weening of this medication also. God's blessing be upon you.

ssgundes is offline New Member

Ruth,
    Is that you? From the benzo support group? It's sandi and I need help. I have been taking klonopin 2 mg and Seroquel 50 mg for sleep for the last 10 years and now I can't sleep anymore!! I'm scared. I was going to try and get off when I retireed but that's another 5 years. What can I do? Does the benzo support group still exist?

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Sandi - I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with a benzo support group.

I know you're scared, and it is frightening to undertake getting off these drugs - but you really can do this, and it will be worth it.

I was on klonopin for 9 years - and I know all it's pros and cons! When it comes to stopping klonopin, there are 2 major keys to remember. 1. Have physician supervision, and ask him/her to prescribe you an anti-seizure medication BEFORE you even begin. 2. This is NOT a drug to stop abruptly. In fact, the more gradually you taper off this drug, the better.

It will be a challenge, I know, but you can't stay on this longer - it will only make things worse. There are far, far better medications to help with sleep that do not include the dependency issues that the benzodiazepene drugs do.

You need to develop a positive mind set - that you CAN do this. The more we want to change, the easier it is to change. Are you ready? First thing I'd do is make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her what you want to do. Do NOT allow him/her to switch you to another benzodiazepene (or other addictive) drug!!! Sorry, but sometimes, doctors remain rather ignorant of the danger of these medications.

I have a thread in the "need to talk" forum, here: https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...658-63459.html I am not always able to check individual threads, but if you ever have a question or need to talk, you can post to me there.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Member21 is offline Junior Member

I know that this is an old post but I wanted to know what happens when medical supervision isn't possible because the prescribin

melindau is offline Member

Hi 21
    what do you need to know?
    Melinda

Izabellakiwi is offline New Member

Default Ruth can you give me some inspiration and guidance

Ruth
    I was on Klonapin Sporadically mostly for the last couple months even though I took a little I het tolerance withdrawl accept I didn't know what it was.
    My Doctor put me on twice a day .120 I never took it but intermittent I do not like being on it do I go to detox to get of or must I now taper and at what rate I am making a cut Monday to .1153=2

Please advise am I so new I should go to a detox and get off quick or taper I have kids this drug does not agree withme.

Thank you
    Izzy

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You were taking overall .25mg. of klonipin per day? which means .125 twice per day? When you tried to go off, are you saying you had w/d symptoms? I'm having a hard time understanding just how much Klonipin you are taking.

m0niker is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post

Tapering is essential - this is not a drug to stop "cold-turkey" as you will run the risk of seizures. The more gradual the taper, the better.
    I'm in a similar situation I've been taking 1mg, between 1-5 times a week for the past 5 months. Since I've been at school the past three months I've been taking it more. I'm having the same feelings describe above, messed up cognitive functions. I just ran out of my script though. I won't be able to get a new script in 2-3 weeks. I'm worried that I could go into a semi-permanent withdrawal. Could that be possible or is that only in chronic users? Can I make it without tapering and is brain damage a possibility?

kingjeb is offline New Member

Default I have to weigh in here...

I have been on Xanax and subsequently Klonopin (Clonazepam) since 1990. Most recently, I was taking 1-3mg per day.

My psychiatrist has required that I taper off due to the risks.

The only times I've been without were twice when I went "cold turkey" due to a work situation and drug testing. I'm lucky I didn't die, but I sure felt like I was dying...

Folks, I am happy to report that I am currently taking .25mg 3 x per day. I am experiencing anxiety, extreme emotional sensitivity, memory problems, and am mildly depressed.

I was also told I'd be on this medication the rest of my life (I'm now 44). Though I'm now committed to getting off of this to prevent further damage to my mental status and memory, I am not sure at this point how I will live without it.

Almost 25 years into benzos I wonder how a drug that seemed so appropriate and innocent when it was first prescribed became a widely sold illicit substance with long term hardcore side effects...

Best of luck to all of you in similar circumstances!

denisthekid is offline New Member

Jack and all others mates that are trying to get off benzos .

when i arrived to the psyc award that im right now my dose of clonazepam was drastically reduced and not for a reduced dosage of clonazepam ,it was drasticaly reduced of 6 mg clonazepam to half of that dosage of dizepam .

i felt awful by the way im still feeling horrible ,

but the fact of feel tottally unable to think rite and keep on a converseatiion has subssided a little im still feeling those nasty reduction or withdrawal simptons .

its hard for me to say i dont know if iz because im taking antidepressants since day one but this symptons improved a little

its hard but i do believe we can livre without b tranquilizers ..if u see on my thread i think u will indentify yourself with one or another symptoms that im having

.i cant recommend you to use another class of halopatic drugs as im doing but i do recommend to seek for natural medicine . multivitamins and minerais a lot of water . aminoacids and teas and i will start to take a non halopatic , an organic Suplement for better Brain function u can find it if u google : 4 organics cerebrate.

I will be seeing how u guys are doing and coping with the tapering and withdrawal symptons

i wish u and all u mates the best as i wish to me . i barely can say this as im tottaly scared but in my opnion you will get better
    Keep on to reach the goal
    Denis
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-01-2015 at 12:46 PM.

denisthekid is offline New Member

Edited because of the awful english above

Jackck and all others mates that are trying to get off benzos .

when i arrived to the psyc award that im right now my dose of clonazepam was drastically reduced and not for a reduced dosage of clonazepam ,it was drasticaly reduced of 6 mg clonazepam to half of that dosage of dizepam .

i felt awful by the way im still feeling horrible ,

but the fact of feel tottally unable to think rite and keep on a converseatiion has subssided a little im still feeling those nasty reduction or withdrawal simptons .

its hard for me to say i dont know if iz because im taking antidepressants since day one but this symptons improved a little

its hard but i do believe we can livre without b tranquilizers ..if u see on my thread i think u will indentify yourself with one or another symptoms that im having

.i cant recommend you to use another class of halopatic drugs as im doing but i do recommend to seek for natural medicine . multivitamins and minerais a lot of water . aminoacids and teas and i will start to take a non halopatic , an organic Suplement for better Brain function u can find it if u google : 4 organics cerebrate.

I will be seeing how u guys are doing and coping with the tapering and withdrawal symptons

i wish u and all u mates the best as i wish to me . i barely can say this as im tottaly scared but in my opnion you will get better
    Keep on to reach the goal
    Denis

tillerman02 is offline New Member

Good Morning All,

I see that is is an old post, however, some concerns for me. I was prescribed Klonopin for anxiety in 2011 for anxiety. I had just had a heart procedure done and ever since then I was jittery, couldnt sleep, crawling out of my skin, so on and so forth. I sought the advice of a counselor who told me I needed to go see my family doctor. My primary care doctor told me I was suffering from GAD and prescribed .5 mg of Klonopin 2x day.

It is now 2015 and I had my last dose on March 20th. I am a disabled vet and now use the V.A. for my medical needs. They have told me I have been on this way too long. They have set me up with a counselor and a pshychiatrist. I was tapered off from to .5mg per day for a month, then stop all together at the end of the month. Also, to assist in the anxiety relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 10mg as needed.

Through all of my withdrawal symptoms, the heavy pounding heart is the one that bothers me the most. As i type this, its pounding, even though my pulse is normal (68) and BP is normal (124/68). I keep thinking there is something going on with my heart or cardiovascular system. I am 38 years old and I'm supposed to be fixed (haha). I digress.

Sometimes, the symptoms (pounding heart, tinnitus, dizziness, pain in left shoulder blade, left side of neck, and I think I have a fear of being by myself (I love being by myself), the thought of having a heart attack) come in waves. When I'm busy and my mind is occupied, the above symptoms hit. They will last a few minutes, or 12 hours. There may be breaks in between, or there may not. They will hit me and wake me up, or they will hit me while I'm playing mind numbing Playstation.

One more thing that is going on that I haven't seen or read about. I have a warm sensation from the back of my head that runs down through my upper back and down my left arm, while all the while my vital signs are normal.

How long do I have to endure these symptoms? What is really going on?

Your symptoms are typical k-pin w/d. The symptoms can last for awhile, it's hard to say everybody is different. Your taper may have kind of fast, slow is best with benzos. I have heard that for some the benzo w/d will come in waves, however, you should make sure your doctor knows and understands the symptoms of benzo w/d. Anytime you are on a benzo for a period of time and even for some a short period, these symptoms can crop up. Exercise is a good help, L-theanine or a gabba supplement may help, some say magnesium, learn some relaxation technics, but above all make sure your doc knows. Benzos really can mess with you.

Peace,

Iloerose

tillerman02 is offline New Member

I'm hoping they are just W/D. Thank you for the reply.. I will tell you this, I have never had any type of episode while on my motorcycle. EVER. Sometimes, when they wake me up, Ill leave and will ride to my dads house (290 miles one way), spend that day and return home that evening. Unfortunately, my relaxation machine has been down for quite a while. Also, my spurts of long rides are taking a toll on the wife (she is a worrywart). So, I gotta find something to do here.

Try looking into meditation techniques that you can do at home (google). Get out and WALK. Exercise really, really helps. Stay strong.

Peace,

Iloerose

kingjames23 is offline New Member

I was on Ativan very high doses and i got tapered by a renowned shrink. He did a fast taper but added meds for the withdrawal (seroquel, beta blockers, effexor, trazodone and more). It was awful. I did research and discovered gabapentin and that helped for a month but stopped working.
    Your situation u should realize that u r taking perhaps the safest benzo and at such a low dose. I would get a proper taper plan by a proper psychiatrist. Maybe switch to valium as it also has a long half life. Add lots of exercise and maybe try other meds such as lyrica (i take this and it keeps me a bit buzzed and it is not really addicting at all).

shelzmike is offline New Member

Obligatory "I know this is an old post, but..."

Anyway...here's the thing about all this "hype", "facts" whatever about benzo withdrawal. There is so much BS by armchair doctors, so many rumors, etc. that there is no real good source of actual true information. Partially, the reason is due to lack of honest and accurate research.

Do people have w/d from benzos? Yep, all the time. Can some people take them, even every day and come off without any problem...again, yep (same is true with any drug as a lot depends on a person's physiology), are many people claiming to be experts on the subject and scaring the heck outta people who legitimately benefit from them and are taking them under doctors' orders? Unfortunately, yes.

I am not attacking anyone here, do not get me wrong. However, what I am trying to point out is that it seems the demon benzo withdrawal movement has saturated the internet and is all you can find. One would think that anyone who has ever taken benzo's legitimately, under doctor care has had a gut wrenching, psychotic-inducing withdrawal when they stopped. This is so not true, yet it is being portrayed as an absolute fact.

The one thing I NEVER see mentioned in so many posts like this is how the symptoms (like OP initially described) are very very classic ANXIETY/PANIC symptoms. Why does no one point that out and immediately jump to this is w/d. I mean, it does go without saying that if you take a medicine for let's say anxiety, and you stop taking said medicine, then anxiety returns, right? I have anxiety disorder/panic disorder and have had for 14 years now. For the first 4 or so I was taking .5mg 3 (sometimes more) a day, as prescribed. I eventually just stopped taking them because I had my anxiety under control (not because I was scared of addiction. In fact, I had never heard this was a problem until years later). I do not recall having any issues at all. And sorry to burst your bubble, but .25mg ONE time a day IS subtherapuetic and IS a LOW dose.

My problem boils down to this - people have anxiety disorder, are taking low doses of a benzo that is actually helping them, have motivation to potentially stop taking them (a good thing), yet have massive anxiety and panic attacks because people keep coming around telling them that they are about to experience the worst thing they have ever felt and it is going to last 6-12 months. Give me a break. What do you think that does to a person already predisposed to anxiety?

I KNOW people have horrible withdrawals from these meds, BUT it is not these users...in the vast majority of cases. Most of the time it is the abusers or very high dose taking patients who, I will agree, are being done a huge disservice by their docs. At that point it is overkill and just washing over actually truly getting over their anxiety.

Please stop scaring people who are trying to do the right thing! Give them advice sure, but read back through the responses here people...it is ridiculous and I hope the OP actually talked to a professional who knows them and gave them legitimate advice!

Mike

Justwanthelp5529 is offline New Member

Mike,

You couldn't be more right man. I wanted to post cause no one replied to your comment. I agree with the one lady, you do need to taper but not extremely slow. The withdrawal symptoms suck but it's not the end of the world. Sometimes it's hard to realize that. But this man said it best. People get on a forum about a drug for ANXIETY and all they do is feed the persons anxiety! Not cool. It's good to be honest but not dramatic.

My problem with getting off of it is I can't sleep without it. I take .25 mg at night which is from a .5 mg pill. I cut it in half. I tapered from .5 with no complication. However, I've been getting dizzy spells from my inner ear. The ER doctor said I should take more klonopin temporarily to relieve it. So messing with the dosage has left me short on pills and kinda freaking out. I doubt anyone will read this to offer advice. But my advice to everyone is there is light at the end of every tunnel.

Take care

Lab0926 is offline New Member

I was given klonopin to help me sleep. I took it for 8 years. I decided to stop taking it when I ran out and my doctor wouldn't refill it unless I came into his office. I was totally out and he wouldn't give me a few to last until my appointment. I started to notice that my depression lessoned quite a bit while off of them. So, I didn't get my prescription refilled. I did ok with my sleep after a few weeks, but the sleeplessness has returned. I am self medicating with an antihistamine for sleep now. I was on 1mg of the Klonopin.

My 2 cents!
    Kevk74 likes this.

Ross33 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by shelzmike View Post

... One would think that anyone who has ever taken benzo's legitimately, under doctor care has had a gut wrenching, psychotic-inducing withdrawal when they stopped. This is so not true, yet it is being portrayed as an absolute fact. ...

Please stop scaring people who are trying to do the right thing! Give them advice sure, but read back through the responses here people...it is ridiculous and I hope the OP actually talked to a professional who knows them and gave them legitimate advice!

Mike
    Thank you!!! Reading through this thread would make one believe Klonopin users are f'ed for life. There are hundreds of thousands of people taking this drug. 20 years ago I was given a script for Xanax because I had trouble sleeping (first year of college, go figure!). I should never have been given that drug under those circumstances - let alone given the drug with no mention whatsoever of its physically addictive properties. Sure enough I had a horrible withdrawal (made worse by me having no idea what was going on). When I went to see a competent Dr. the next day he explained everything and we came up with a taper-off schedule/plan. Worked like a charm - no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Now I'm tapering off Klonopin - SLOWLY - and it's going perfectly fine.

As Mike stated - seek the help of a PROFESSIONAL and follow their advice to the letter. For example - you may be told not to drink any alcohol whatsoever during the tapering off period. Though you shouldn't be drinking when taking benzos anyway, even responsible people may have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. If your Dr. says no drinking during tapering - don't drink!

There's no doubt you have to be careful when stopping a benzo. That said, don't assume it's going to be hell, that's only going to make your anxiety worse! Remember - people don't flock to these sites to say stuff like "I got off Klonopin today" - they're here because they have a problem (perfectly illustrated by the title of this thread) - so you're going to find people posting lots of crazy problems. There's a MUCH better chance you'll have very few or no side effects than the other way around.

You can also Google stuff like "Paxil withdrawal" and find horror stories just like these. This is not limited to benzos - a lot of the anti-anxiety/depression/psychotic drugs shouldn't be stopped cold turkey. Can't stress this enough - talk to your doctor! If your Dr. seems very nonchalant about it and doesn't address your concerns, find a new one.

jollygreen56 is offline New Member

Default kicking klonopin

I have been taking clonazepam for over 20 years. I am finally trying to stop taking it. The highest dosage I was on was 4 mg. per day. I am now taking less than .5 mg per day What a rocky road!!!! I hate the fuzzy feelings in my head qnd wonder if they will ever stop. Sometimes when I want to get rid of these feelings I will take 1/4 of a pill which usually makes me feel better!! I know I am not alone going thru this but I feel I am missing life when I feel tired, crabby, funky in the head, feel sometimes like my arms are not attached. Really weird, force myself to do things. Anyone else that is going thru this, hang in there. I keep praying to start feeling normal again!

19jeana93 is offline New Member

I was prescribed 1 1/2 - 2 mg of Klonopin 22 years ago for a neurological disorder. When my neurologist retired and a new, young neurologist took his place, he told me that he would like me to stop taking Klonopin. I didn't think about it at the time, but several months later Klonopin and its class of drugs were much in the news about causing falls and loss of memory in the elderly. I had just turned 70 and this frightened me. Over 3 months I withdrew from Klonopin, experiencing strange symptoms that I didn't attribute to the drug. After being off of it totally for several weeks last January, I had horrible symptoms of withdrawal that I didn't at first attribute to Klonopin. I was given every blood test, CT scan, doctor referral, etc. to try to find out what was wrong with me. You can all probably guess what happened. I ended up diagnosing the problem myself as my doctors, including my neurologist, had no idea what was causing my symptoms. I thought I was dying. If it wasn't for sites such as this (and, yes, it can be scary) I would not have been able to reach an answer. After a month I started back on 3/4 mg of Klonopin last February and immediately felt better but with lingering symptoms of neuropathy. I have been slowly tapering off the drug and now I am taking 1/2 mg. I expect that it will take me another year to completely withdraw from Klonopin. I just want to say that yes, these posts are terrifying, but I'm glad that they are because otherwise I wouldn't have related to them and diagnosed my symptoms. I was prescribed this drug for a legitimate reason, but it isn't worth the cost in the toll it has taken on my general health. There are newer, less dangerous treatments for my condition, but I am still dealing with Klonopin withdrawal from hell. Thank you all for your posts, including the really scary ones. They probably saved my life.
    Carvalho_nilze likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast