Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rxqueen83
  • 1 Post By misskriss79
Methadone And Xanax Issue, really need advice.
  1. #1
    Starcry is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Exclamation Methadone And Xanax Issue, really need advice.

    I will try to sum this up as best I can. I used to pass 5-8 Kidney stones a month and therefore got hooked on loracets, I was stupid and just decided one day I didnt want to be dopped up and stopped Cold Turkey.... Yeah I was in a Methadone clinc within about 9 hours. I was on a massive does of Methadone (163MG) and am now down to 38.

    Now the other side of the story. I have very severe panic attack and general anxiety disorder. I started on Lexapro, but could not even leave the house. I was then given 1mg of Xanax 3 times a day, then as that stopped working 1 mg 4x a day, when that stopped, 2 mg 6 times a day. My Methadone clink was of course in touch with my doc. Now here is where I went even more stupid, as the panic started coming back I started taking more my neighbor was getting 14 a day and using from 6 to 7. So I am now on around 12 mg a day of Xanax.

    I HATE this ball and chain. Just as I was getting my courage up to tell my doctor, he retired!!! I dont have insurance so I cant just try doctor after doctor at 100 bucks a pop to find help, Im not even sure to find out exactly what my min amount to take without withdrawls only the least I have to take to fend off the panic attacks.

    Ive heard switcing to sub instead of methadone would be safer (though ive had no problems, Im a big guy and have been on both drugs 10 years plus) I guess bottom line is I want to get to the point where I am on a longer acting Benzo so I am able to live though the panic attacks with mabye 10 .5's of Xanax in a month AT WORST. This is assuming I even still need them, because as of now I dont know if its withdrawal giving me the attacks, or the orginal disorder.


    Greatly Pleading for help and advice,
    Starcry
    P.S Sorry for the spelling :/

  2. #2
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    So you are at 38mg. of methadone. You can switch to sub. But what are you going to do about the xanax? It's difficult to tell you how to taper that much, seeing as you have generalized anxiety. I'm not really sure what you are asking. You cannot just stop the xanax. You are going to have to see a doctor to switch benzos and it's going to be difficult to get a doc to write for subs when you are on a benzo, although you might try. Have you talked to any doctors where you get your methadone? I understand that you don't have insurance, did your doc give a name as a replacement? But bottom line is that you have to go to a doc to deal with the xanax switch, what will happen with the sub I don't know. I know I haven't been very helpful, but you really need to be careful with the xanax as you are really way over the limit. I wish you all the luck in the world.

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  3. #3
    Starcry is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    There is only one doctor where i get my methadone, and he would just toss me out of the clinic, even though oddly i pass the quanative this give me because i am on benzos. It been pretty recent the dose got so high. Within mabye the last 2 months mabye? before that it was closer to 9mg. I had deaths in the family, and alot of other horrible problems. and it kinda sky rocketed. I do take Lexapro for the general anxiety, which helps, its the attacks thats the problem.

  4. #4
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    My suggestion? just start tapering the xanax. You can control this. If you can't go to a doc, then you need to do this yourself. I'm taking it that the xanax is NOT prescribed? You are going to have to start tapering this and the sooner the better. Xanax w/d is hell if you have to c/t it even from a small amount. You think you have anxiety now? You can perhaps taper rather quickly with the high doses, knocking off a mg. every 10-14 days or so, when you get down into smaller amounts 2mg or below you are going to have to go very slowly indeed. But you have to be committed to doing this. What you are doing with the xanax is downright dangerous. There are other ways of dealing with anxiety. Benzos are very tricky and it's going to take a long time to heal from the abuse of xanax, you are taking way more than normally would be prescribed. Benzo's should only be used for a short time, our docs don't always tell us this. It's up to you to take control of your life. I don't mean to beat you up about this, but seriously, there is only so much I can recommend to you: I'm not a doctor, but I do understand the destructive nature of the benzos. I understand being incapacitated by anxiety. A cognitive behavioral therapist might help, or simply learning how to meditate. I don't know. But I truly do believe that the benzos make you feel worse. The effects wear off and you feel the need to take more and more.

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  5. #5
    Starcry is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Actually My doctor presribed 8 MG for years. I did not start going up until the attacks came back. Then i realized how bad it really was one day when I had to ask my wife for the bottle she keeps for her thats as needed and had refills ready. I have an appointment today with an intensive outpaient. I think its worse than 12MG. More like 16. Im not so much worried about the danager in it as When my quanative is done I am well in safe level, Im more concerned with it getting worse and honestly? Its a ball and chain. I want to be free of these drugs. I just dont want to go back to a life of hell and fear. Wish me luck. Thank you for speaking with me. I will update here after my appointment today. Worst case, ill get family to get persciptions, and taper myself. I might need help on how to go about it though.

    Later
    Starcry

  6. #6
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    I DO wish you well and I think you'll do a lot better without the drugs. It may take some time: we didn't get here overnight, we don't get well overnight. There are many things you can learn to do to ease your anxiety. If you decide to taper I'll be here! You can do this!

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  7. #7
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    I am so sorry this is happening to you --- I too have a doctor that has prescribed me drugs for long term use that should have ONLY been used short term, and now they are causing me bad issues that are as serious as the original problem...so I relate to that part of your story. It has crossed my mind "what would I do if my doctor retired??"

    There's lots of info here, and kind support from the people who know what it's like...
    In your corner cheering,
    Shualatin

  8. #8
    Starcry is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default getting there

    Quote Originally Posted by Shualatin View Post
    I am so sorry this is happening to you --- I too have a doctor that has prescribed me drugs for long term use that should have ONLY been used short term, and now they are causing me bad issues that are as serious as the original problem...so I relate to that part of your story. It has crossed my mind "what would I do if my doctor retired??"

    There's lots of info here, and kind support from the people who know what it's like...
    In your corner cheering,
    Shualatin
    Well guys I am now down to 29 MG on the Methadone. I confronted my clinic with the issue, though now they treat me like a criminal, example, somehow i blew .082 on a breathalyzer but my BAC via both blood and Urine was.0000 however, they say the breath test is the most accurate (yea suuuurrreeee) My Xanax is being replaced by Valium by a Sliding Scale doctor I am now at 1 2mg Xanax 3 x a day and 4Val in am, 2 in afternoon, 4 in pm at 10 mg. So getting Closer and closer.

    If the Methadone Clinic would stop making my life a living hell now I would be doing better on the Xanax taper, but every morning they are breath testing me now, and im scared of another fluke as they wont dose me if it happens. (I Never was a drinker, last drink was at least 5 years ago and it was half a glass of a 1952 white wine on my wedding anniversery.)

    I want to switch to subs but cant find a reasonable price without insurance. They want 300 a day for a week, plus the price of the script then 200 a day for 3 more weeks, then finally 300 a month. >> 120 at week with my methadone. Its a freaking Jail now not a place of recovery there, and its the same company within 100 miles. Same doc as well. Though I guess its a jail i built.

    Much More hopeful,
    Starcry

  9. #9
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    Good idea for your doc to get you off the xanax: DO WHAT HE SAYS TO THE LETTER. Getting off the benzo at this point is more important than getting off the methadone. I do not suggest that you try to get on subs now for the very reason that many docs will not prescribe subs to someone on a benzo. If you later, after your benzo taper, decide to move to suboxone, you will be clear. Yup it's a jail, but you can get there, keep posting starcry, if you want, move your thread to the "need to talk" section of the board, seems to be more popular board. I wish you luck and am pulling for you.

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  10. #10
    hgilmore is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default methadone + xanax?

    Hey man,
    I hope you are doing well, but I just have one question on something that very much confuses me. How are you able to take methadone and any type of benzos (Xanax in your case), without any repercussions? Its known to be a very deadly mix, especially at the dose of Xanax that you were taking. I am on 100 mg of methadone and get drug tested once a week to make sure other drugs aren't in my system, but the most important drug they look for are benzos. I'm close to getting kicked out of my clinic because of all the times I've popped dirty for Xanax. Even if I take just 1 mg and a couple of days later, they unexpectedly drug test me, I'm screwed. Does your clinic not test you for benzos or do you have clean urine to give them? I'm surprised no one has brought this issue up yet on this thread. Please get back to me when you can because I NEED Xanax, but also want to finish this methadone clinic the right way. Thanks and good luck with everything.

  11. #11
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    HG: You are absolutely right: methadone and xanax or any benzo are EXTREMELY dangerous, as in very possibly deadly. Both are respiratory depressants methadone is a very heavy opiate and xanax is downright dangerous. I highly doubt that your clinic will allow you both. What the poster before was doing was looking for a dirt nap. Despite what was said he was way over the recommended daily dose. Xanax is used SHORT TERM only. Why do you need the xanax? You don't NEED the xanax. Please look into other ways to ease your anxiety. I'm not sure what herbals you can take and not test dirty. But you can try meditation and counseling first. You DO NOT want on the xanax, benzo, train that stuff is worse to get off of than methadone for sure.

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  12. #12
    rxqueen83 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I am (luckily) living proof that benzo's and methadone are a lethal combination. 3/4/2007 I was petty much pronounced dead and after they revived me I was in a coma for three days. Don't take the chance. 70 MG of Methadone and 3 MG's of Xanax. I had the tolerance of a horse. VERY dangerous combination. By the Grace of God I am still here.
    iloerose likes this.
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

    "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

  13. #13
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    Hey, queen, good to see you posting around!!!

    Peace,

    Iloerose

  14. #14
    misskriss79 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Reading this just makes me feel so lucky. I was on 126mg of methadone for 10 years. I've been coming down at 1 mg a week and am now somewhere between 35 and 38. I have to estimate because I'm on a blind detox so the numbers don't mess with my head...however my counselor told me a couple weeks ago that I was on 40, so I'm not so blind now. During my decade at the clinic, I messed up a lot and took xanax and kolonopin many many times. Definitely more than the 3mg it took to kill you. And my dose was so much higher. Scary stuff. Unfortunately, I've known several people to die from this too. I'm glad I'm finally getting out of that place because it does start to be a prison sentence after a while. But methadone also saved my life. Such a double edged sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    I am (luckily) living proof that benzo's and methadone are a lethal combination. 3/4/2007 I was petty much pronounced dead and after they revived me I was in a coma for three days. Don't take the chance. 70 MG of Methadone and 3 MG's of Xanax. I had the tolerance of a horse. VERY dangerous combination. By the Grace of God I am still here.
    iloerose likes this.

  15. #15
    Lynkol45 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hgilmore View Post
    Hey man,
    I hope you are doing well, but I just have one question on something that very much confuses me. How are you able to take methadone and any type of benzos (Xanax in your case), without any repercussions? Its known to be a very deadly mix, especially at the dose of Xanax that you were taking. I am on 100 mg of methadone and get drug tested once a week to make sure other drugs aren't in my system, but the most important drug they look for are benzos. I'm close to getting kicked out of my clinic because of all the times I've popped dirty for Xanax. Even if I take just 1 mg and a couple of days later, they unexpectedly drug test me, I'm screwed. Does your clinic not test you for benzos or do you have clean urine to give them? I'm surprised no one has brought this issue up yet on this thread. Please get back to me when you can because I NEED Xanax, but also want to finish this methadone clinic the right way. Thanks and good luck with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcry View Post
    I will try to sum this up as best I can. I used to pass 5-8 Kidney stones a month and therefore got hooked on loracets, I was stupid and just decided one day I didnt want to be dopped up and stopped Cold Turkey.... Yeah I was in a Methadone clinc within about 9 hours. I was on a massive does of Methadone (163MG) and am now down to 38.

    Now the other side of the story. I have very severe panic attack and general anxiety disorder. I started on Lexapro, but could not even leave the house. I was then given 1mg of Xanax 3 times a day, then as that stopped working 1 mg 4x a day, when that stopped, 2 mg 6 times a day. My Methadone clink was of course in touch with my doc. Now here is where I went even more stupid, as the panic started coming back I started taking more my neighbor was getting 14 a day and using from 6 to 7. So I am now on around 12 mg a day of Xanax.

    I HATE this ball and chain. Just as I was getting my courage up to tell my doctor, he retired!!! I dont have insurance so I cant just try doctor after doctor at 100 bucks a pop to find help, Im not even sure to find out exactly what my min amount to take without withdrawls only the least I have to take to fend off the panic attacks.

    Ive heard switcing to sub instead of methadone would be safer (though ive had no problems, Im a big guy and have been on both drugs 10 years plus) I guess bottom line is I want to get to the point where I am on a longer acting Benzo so I am able to live though the panic attacks with mabye 10 .5's of Xanax in a month AT WORST. This is assuming I even still need them, because as of now I dont know if its withdrawal giving me the attacks, or the orginal disorder.


    Greatly Pleading for help and advice,
    Starcry
    P.S Sorry for the spelling :/
    I too am just coming off both. My doctor had me on Klonopin as well as Xanax with methadone.... God he is a pain doc and the pharmacist never said boo.... They're all in it for the money and we are their minions....

  16. #16
    Lynkol45 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Though my dosage was way lower than yours... I've never taken more than my 0.5 mg Xanax 2 times a day.... I'm still going through withdrawals.... I'm at day 13 with nothing. Everything still tastes and smells horrid almost identical perfume smell as well as so weak..... Anyone know how long till I'm back?

  17. #17
    Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynkol45 View Post
    Though my dosage was way lower than yours... I've never taken more than my 0.5 mg Xanax 2 times a day.... I'm still going through withdrawals.... I'm at day 13 with nothing. Everything still tastes and smells horrid almost identical perfume smell as well as so weak..... Anyone know how long till I'm back?
    Please start your own thread and give us your complete history with the meds you were taking, how much per day, for how long and what dosage you jumped off at? With this info we can more accurately answer your questions and/or concerns? Also with your own thread you can get personalized help and support?

Similar Threads

  1. Methadone ADvice PLS HELP!! Advice on weaning
    By vicious_cycle in forum Featured Conditions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22