My Benzo reduction after I got off opiods
    inversions is offline Junior Member

Default My Benzo reduction after I got off opiods

Hi,

Some of you may remember me from the Sub forum.

Good news is I've been off the sub completely for a while, not sure how long, over a month. And I'm not drinking, always good!

Cut from 40mg Diazapam to 35 over 2 weeks and not been bad. Been off and on the stuff for a couple of years or maybe its 3. Think this will my 3rd taper. This latest stint on the stuff has lasted about a year and has varied from 20mg a day a few months ago up to 50mg for a short period but my most common dosage is 40mg a day over this recent period. I let it go up as I came off the poppy pod tea and replaced it with a sub taper.

Anyway, withdrawals have not been bad at all cutting from 40 to 35 even though I've done it fairly quick. I only have access to 10mg tabs so the best I can do is break them into 4 and cut 2.5mg at a time.

Like I said in the sub thread I started my life is full of stress from external sources that I cannot really do anything about. One of the reasons I started taking the diaz in the first place. So it can be hard to determine if I'm suffering from some sort of general anxiety or it's benzo related.

Anyway I'm going to cut to 32.5 in a few days. See how that goes.

Cut to 32.5mg yesterday. A little more trouble sleeping but not much and still got required 7-8 hrs sleep. I'm not much good on less than that, I can cope for a few days with much less but after a while it always kills me if I don't get that 7-8 a night.

I'm drinking quite a bit of Valerian and St Johns Wort tea and some Passiflora, Vervain, Blue Skullcap, Camomile, Linden which I make straight from the dried herb. I am sure I read somewhere that St Johns Wort slows the metabolism of benzo's so my thinking is that it will ease the reduction side effects whilst Passiflora is supposed to be good for benzo withdrawal as well and Valerian I've heard referred to as natures valium. I understand that it is also a bit addictive but I can ease myself off it when my diazapam use is down to nothing.

So, in general this is what I've always done when easing off diaz, along with more physical activity and so on. I've generally found that after a drop the key stage is 3/4 days after said drop so I'll stay on 32.5 for 8 days and see where I am before reducing to 30.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by inversions View Post
    Cut to 32.5mg yesterday. A little more trouble sleeping but not much and still got required 7-8 hrs sleep. I'm not much good on less than that, I can cope for a few days with much less but after a while it always kills me if I don't get that 7-8 a night.

I'm drinking quite a bit of Valerian and St Johns Wort tea and some Passiflora, Vervain, Blue Skullcap, Camomile, Linden which I make straight from the dried herb. I am sure I read somewhere that St Johns Wort slows the metabolism of benzo's so my thinking is that it will ease the reduction side effects whilst Passiflora is supposed to be good for benzo withdrawal as well and Valerian I've heard referred to as natures valium. I understand that it is also a bit addictive but I can ease myself off it when my diazapam use is down to nothing.

So, in general this is what I've always done when easing off diaz, along with more physical activity and so on. I've generally found that after a drop the key stage is 3/4 days after said drop so I'll stay on 32.5 for 8 days and see where I am before reducing to 30.
    Have you read the Ashton Manual? Tons of great information, I highly recommend you read through it if you haven't already? You can easily find it by doing an online search! Dr. Heather Ashton is the absolute leading authority on benzos and withdrawal schedules. You can specifically read the SLOW WITHDRAWAL SCHEDULES -
    2. Simple withdrawal from diazepam (Valium) 40mg daily!

Update when you can? Best of luck to you! Take care... God bless us all!

Cheers dude, I've skim read a bit of it.

After 4 days on 32.5mg I had not noticed any physical WD's so I dropped to 30mg yesterday. Still no physical WD's a bit of anxiety but that could just be life as I have a lot on my plate. Will see where I am in another 4 or so days before considering a drop to 27.5.

Yesterday was my 4th day on 30mg after cutting from 40 quickly. Still no physical WD's. However I'm sticking on 30 for a bit longer as my general anxiety levels have gone up a lot.

Could be psychosomatic. Not really sure but I'm going to give it at least another 3 days before I drop again.

Been a while! Should have updated before.

Down to 16mg a day. Doc is being very understanding. Lucky to have got him, most GP's in the UK won't prescribe this stuff at all. Doing okay but I've been taking it real slow.

Got down to 20mg quicker than advised and had little problems. Then I cut to 17.5 (at the time I could only get 10mg tabs so it was basically my only choice) and after a few days I was wrecked. I was a bit over 10/11 weeks into a new job, had not told them about my addiction problems for obvious reasons. Job was stressful however, for instance I did 8 days of 8 hour shifts when I first started and then had one day off and then did 7 days of 8 hour shifts. Started drinking again, boss was getting on my back as I was always turning up hung over and being a bit slow.

Worst was I couldn't get to any group meetings like NA, AA or see my keyworker as I was always being 'asked' to do extra hours, felt like I couldn't refuse as they were horribly understaffed and I was on a probationary contract.

Well the cut from 20 to 17.5 plus drinking plus hassle from the boss plus all the hours took its toll and 4 days into the cut I turned up for work 6 mins late, got torn off a strip by the boss in front of everyone and just walked. Just went back home and went to bed and slept for 10 hours.

On the plus side I was then able to see a new GP who said he would prescribe me disulfiram to stop me drinking and prescribe me diaz and just cut me down 1mg every 2 weeks. He also signed me off sick. I was able to attend groups, see my keyworker once a month and so on. So its been a long slow process but I'm about to cut to 15. Taking longer than I'd like but a quicker taper seems to mess me up. Even on just a 1mg cut I often don't sleep for a couple of days, well might get a couple hours a night, after the first day in and then sleep 16+ hours on day 4.

So at least I'm heading in the right direction even if it is taking ages!

jeffrey123 is offline Member

Hi Inversions....It sounds like you are in a similar situation as me..That is quitting subs with a benzo habit. I also go to meetings. Are you still around. I would love to hear about your benzo taper. I plan on being of subs around the end of July and then tapering Benzos. I will keep an eye on the benzo board which seems extremely slow. Hope your still making progress. Thanks Jeff