Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Need help with soul crushing anxiety post detox for Xanax
    Hagstrom is offline New Member

Thumbs up Need help with soul crushing anxiety post detox for Xanax

I detoxed off 15 plus years of Xanax plus my per day plus a 10 plus year norco At 70mg a day in a medical detox unit. 2 weeks out of there. still a bit jittery forget things from when I was on drugs and short term memory is a bit whacked now while my brain retrains. Am past the opioid withdrawal and most Xanax withdrawal but I have this underlying crushing crippling anxiety that effects my throat ,voice and body overall and causes incessant ringing in my ears on top of borderline panic attacks all day long. I have been exercising in a gym 5-6 days a week, have tried massage therapy, eating right trying to stay active but I have not slept more than an hour a night for 2
    Weeks. I am tring to stay busy busy but I am SO TIRED from no sleep that I slog through the exercise and when I get home I just want to rest but I can't as the killer anxiety - which is always around hits a peak when I am not distracted fully. TV is out of the question, reading a bit better. I have listened to every sleep, anxiety, calming and hypnosis app I could find. With little success. Help! I need some input on how to make this noise and the incessant uncontrolled thoughts and anxiety Who can add some wise word

Anonymous Guest

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this! I too went to a clinic to rapid detox off Xanax years ago. Did your doctors give you something for sleep? I was given trazadone for my first month out. It's an antidepressant but is used to induce sleep. Going off such little sleep has to be why your anxiety is so bad despite all the exercise and staying busy. I would definitely talk to a doctor about a non habit forming sleep aid for temporary use. There is always melatonin in the vitamin section of any store, it's natural and works good for some.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

It's not recommended to stop Xanax cold turkey. A medical detox may get you through an initial phase of seizure danger, but it does nothing to change the fact that you still must go through withdrawal, and withdrawal can last weeks.

When you take a benzo for a long period of time, your brain's neurotransmitters change. When you stop the benzo, they must change again (go back to normal), and that takes time. Medical detox does nothing to speed up your brain's healing. All they can do is give you medications to prevent seizures and treat other short term symptoms.

I'm sorry this isn't better news and there is no quick fix. You can explore natural supplements that support sleep and that ease anxiety. They don't work quite like a benzo but they do help somewhat. But time if the big healer. You are, in fact, still in acute withdrawal, so the good news is that this is temporary.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Ashley has a good suggestion. A prescription to help you sleep would be great, but don't let them give you Ambien or any other "Z" drug. They are too much like benzos and will get you addicted to them. Also, you can try over the counter sleep aids which might work but might also give you a hangover the next day. Years ago when I couldn't sleep the doctor gave me Doxepin and it worked very well. It's an antidepressant.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    It's not recommended to stop Xanax cold turkey. A medical detox may get you through an initial phase of seizure danger, but it does nothing to change the fact that you still must go through withdrawal, and withdrawal can last weeks.

When you take a benzo for a long period of time, your brain's neurotransmitters change. When you stop the benzo, they must change again (go back to normal), and that takes time. Medical detox does nothing to speed up your brain's healing. All they can do is give you medications to prevent seizures and treat other short term symptoms.

I'm sorry this isn't better news and there is no quick fix. You can explore natural supplements that support sleep and that ease anxiety. They don't work quite like a benzo but they do help somewhat. But time if the big healer. You are, in fact, still in acute withdrawal, so the good news is that this is temporary.
    Thisweekforsure is 100% correct! Your symptoms are from Xanax withdrawal! Benzos must be tapered very slowly at a rate of 5-10% every 5-7 days, in your case since you were on them for so long I would of recommended a taper of 5% per week! Trust me when I tell you that the detox place and most doctors have no idea on how to taper someone off of benzos! You can Google search for the Ashton Manual to learn more on proper benzo tapering?

You mentioned you were on Xanax for 15 years, how much were you taking per day? How long were you in the detox facility? Let us know what they gave you in the detox place and if you're taking anything now? Please update? God bless us all!
    Fish guide likes this.