Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
Need Help with Taper from 1.75 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien
    dustyspud is offline New Member

Default Need Help with Taper from 1.75 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien

I would like to taper off of 1.75 mg Ativan (divided dose: .75 mg at noon and 1 mg at 9 pm) and 10 mg Ambien. The smallest cut I can get with a pill cutter from a .5 mg tablet is .25 mg which makes slow tapering from dry cuts next to impossible without horrible withdrawal. I started both of these drugs on 8.29.16. Prior to that, I was on 5 mg Valium June-August 2016. This will be my second benzo taper in 2.5 years which will make it harder this go round. I understand that Ativan does not dissolve in water which eliminates water titration and the .5 tablet are too lightweight to register on a gram scale which makes dry cut shaving impossible. My doctor is insisting on reducing my total dose by .25 mg per month which is way too fast and will be harder each time since the percentage cut will rise as the dose decreases. I am really stumped on how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do a slow taper of 5%-10% every two weeks, but can't figure out how to do so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Yes you can use water titration, I did! You are correct it doesn't dissolve in water but that doesn't matter, because you can shake it up every time you draw a dose and get it mixed enough.

Here's what I did. I ground a 1 mg Ativan up into a fine powder and mixed it with I think, 1 cup of water (I'm going by memory here). I have a shaker that's for shaking up oil and vinegar salad dressing I guess. It's just a plastic bottle with a screw on lid. I shook it all up and left it in the refrigerator. Yes it settles a little bit, but when I needed a dose, I'd shake it up again, and draw the dose with a syringe. You know the ones you buy for a baby or a dog. No needle syringe. You have to calculate how much mg of Ativan is in however many mililiters on the syringe and it's a bunch of math because you have to figure the 1mg into 8 ounces or whatever you use. There are some instructions online that are helpful. Ashton Method titration I think is where I found those.

Anyway, I tapered into the ridiculous decimal numbers. Down to something like .06mg. It was very successful and I highly recommend it.

The Ambien I just cut into smaller pieces and quit when it was like 1/8 of the pill.
    Randy35 likes this.

dustyspud is offline New Member

I've looked at the Ashton Manual and see only her instructions for switching to Valium, which my doctor won't do. I can't find anything in her online manual about water titration for Ativan. Can you help me locate this info? I need the math specifics since I don't have Excel on my computer. Thanks for your help!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

It's been almost three years, I can't remember. I was sure it was somewhere in the Ashton stuff but maybe not. I will try to find it tomorrow but might forget, I'm swamped with work. Try Googling water titration benzodiazepine. I remember they said you could use milk. The fat in milk (whole milk) binds with it, but I did not want the milk to go bad after a few days so I used water.

I don't think you need an Excel spreadsheet. I did something like, 1mg Ativan = 8 ounces water which = however many mililiters (Google ounces to mililiter conversion) anyway I worked it out with paper and pencil and a calculator. Again, I can't do it now, too busy but try it and I'll try to stop by later. If not maybe someone else can help?

ativanvictim is offline New Member

Default Need help with ativan taper, from 1 mg daily now, horrendous withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    It's been almost three years, I can't remember. I was sure it was somewhere in the Ashton stuff but maybe not. I will try to find it tomorrow but might forget, I'm swamped with work. Try Googling water titration benzodiazepine. I remember they said you could use milk. The fat in milk (whole milk) binds with it, but I did not want the milk to go bad after a few days so I used water.

I don't think you need an Excel spreadsheet. I did something like, 1mg Ativan = 8 ounces water which = however many mililiters (Google ounces to mililiter conversion) anyway I worked it out with paper and pencil and a calculator. Again, I can't do it now, too busy but try it and I'll try to stop by later. If not maybe someone else can help?
    Hi, there.
    Can you give me an example of you would measure and accomplish a 10 or 12% reduction.

For example, I have .5 mg ativan pills. To go down 10 percent, how can I accomplish this? Right now I am at .75 mg a day (.375 twice a day). I split the .5 mg ativan into two (.25 each). I then split one of the two .25 mg in half (approx .125 mg), equalling .375 (twice a day = .75 mg. My pill splitter is not very accurate and the pills crumble. I have to guess with my eyes. I am suffering TERRIBLY.

If you answer me or have further comments or questions, I would be so happy to hear from you. This is my first time at this website and I don't know how I will know when you answer. I hope a notification will be sent to my email. Thank you.