Need help with Xanax taper. Advice please!
    Needoutnow is offline Member

Red face Need help with Xanax taper. Advice please!

I'm 42 years young lol and just stopped taking oxycodone 30 mg twice a day after being on them for almost a year. I am under a ton of stress, but I want to try to still focus on tapering this. I was put on .5 mg a day when I was 25 after some serious panic attacks and multiple trips to the hospital. Anyway it gradually was increased by my dr up to 1.5 mg a day. I usually only take it at night, but started taking.25 mg of the prescribed 1.5 mg during the day due to extreme stress and the wd process from pain meds. I tapered it down to 1.25 mg today and I would like some advice on when to taper again and to what mg. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't think my dr has a good understanding of this type of taper and I really want to prevent having a seizure or the horrible withdrawals I have read about. I know I need to do this very slowly so if I need to go up a bit for a certain amount of time I will. I just need some solid advice as I am afraid of the long term side effects of this med. Which I had no idea about until I stopped taking oxy and started reading the stories here. I appreciate any advice and I am very thankful for this forum. Please help if you can.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Needoutnow View Post
    I'm 42 years young lol and just stopped taking oxycodone 30 mg twice a day after being on them for almost a year. I am under a ton of stress, but I want to try to still focus on tapering this. I was put on .5 mg a day when I was 25 after some serious panic attacks and multiple trips to the hospital. Anyway it gradually was increased by my dr up to 1.5 mg a day. I usually only take it at night, but started taking.25 mg of the prescribed 1.5 mg during the day due to extreme stress and the wd process from pain meds. I tapered it down to 1.25 mg today and I would like some advice on when to taper again and to what mg. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't think my dr has a good understanding of this type of taper and I really want to prevent having a seizure or the horrible withdrawals I have read about. I know I need to do this very slowly so if I need to go up a bit for a certain amount of time I will. I just need some solid advice as I am afraid of the long term side effects of this med. Which I had no idea about until I stopped taking oxy and started reading the stories here. I appreciate any advice and I am very thankful for this forum. Please help if you can.
    I've left you another post on your other thread in the "Need To Talk" forum. I strongly recommend that you wait until you have some more clean time from the opiates and have less stress in your life before you tackle the xanax taper. I think tapering the xanax right now will be too much with everything else you have going on right now!

If you still want to move forward with the xanax taper right now then you already have all the info in your other thread on how to taper safely and successfully. Here's a copy for the taper from your other thread -

The recommended benzo taper is 5-10% every 5-7 days. You can adjust your taper depending on how you feel?

You can taper directly from the Xanax alone, at the amount you are taking there is no need to switch to a longer acting benzo as suggested in the Ashton Manual.

Accurate doses for tapering are achieved by shaving the pills down or using water titration. On how to properly do this, Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for info on how to shave down the pills? You can also Google search "water titration benzodiazepine"...

Google search exactly what I have written in parentheses above, you will find the step by step instructions for shaving down the pills and for the water titration method. I would leave you direct links to the websites but it is not allowed under forum rules. You'll find the information/websites just by doing the Google searches as I mentioned above. I wish you well... God bless us all!