• 2 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 2 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Need help with Xanax taper plan
    Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Default Need help with Xanax taper plan

Hi all .. up until now I've been posting on the Sub boards and am currently doing a successful taper. Finally!

I didn't think my Xanax use was a big issue, but after reading many posts here, clearly it is. I have a short history with taking this drug. About a year ago I would take .5 mg whenever - it wasn't daily though. Then, starting about 5-6 months ago, I started taking more, like an idiot. I was taking .5 mg pills about 2-3 times per day. Once I realized how dangerous this drug is, I started to taper. For the last 2.5 weeks, I've cut it down to .25 mg 3x per day. I've had no rise in anxiety. I know this isn't a large dose but I want to taper so as not to encounter wd symptoms.

So, my question is, how should I continue? Is a 25% reduction recommended rather than what I've been doing? And how many days/weeks between drops?

Thanks to all of you in advance.
    -Katherine

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Katherine, take it slow. What mg. pills do you have? If you have .5mg's you can cut them into 1/4's, which would be .125mg. Rule of thumb here is around .10% every 7-10 days. I'd shave .125mg. off of one of your doses and do that around every 7 days, and see how it goes. When you get down to one .125mg. per day you can skip days or draw out the time between the doses. This will give your body time to get back into balance. Let me know how it goes.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    Katherine, take it slow. What mg. pills do you have? If you have .5mg's you can cut them into 1/4's, which would be .125mg. Rule of thumb here is around .10% every 7-10 days. I'd shave .125mg. off of one of your doses and do that around every 7 days, and see how it goes. When you get down to one .125mg. per day you can skip days or draw out the time between the doses. This will give your body time to get back into balance. Let me know how it goes.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Hi Rose .. good to hear from you. Thanks for your reply. Yes, the pills I have are .5 mg.

Ok, will do what you suggested. So only a 10% drop each time? That's a lot less than I thought, but that's ok. If that's what works to get out of this, then it's ok by me.

Good. Now I feel like I have a plan to nip this in the bud before it has a chance to become a serious problem. I'm don't really feel dependent upon Xanax, so it shouldn't be nearly as hard as Norco and Subs.

Since I've been at about .75 mg per day, I'll shave off .125 starting tomorrow and go from there. Hope you have a great night and thanks again.
    -Katherine
    Whisper85 and DravenDomnq like this.

Doing good with the taper plan so far. Have reduced by 1/4 of a .5 mg pill the last few days as suggested by Rose and have no rise in anxiety at all. Will stay at this dose a few more days then reduce by another 1/4 pill. Am happy to have a plan in place. I know the WD's from benzos are horrendous and don't wanna go there! Yikes. Anyway, just wanted to give an update if anyone is reading this thread.

Hope you all are well and fighting the good fight.
    -Katherine

Katherine, Glad to see you are doing well with dropping. Want to clarify that you were taking .25mg. 3 per day?
    If that's correct just keep reducing by that 1/4 of a .5 every 7-10 days. If that seems too slow for you and you are comfortable, you could do every 5 days, just monitor your symptoms and stay steady, that will help balance the chemicals in your brain. Yeah, you really do want to get this monster off of your back. You weren't on all that much and for not very long, so that's a really, really good sign.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Katherine, Glad to see you are doing well with dropping. Want to clarify that you were taking .25mg. 3 per day?
    If that's correct just keep reducing by that 1/4 of a .5 every 7-10 days. If that seems too slow for you and you are comfortable, you could do every 5 days, just monitor your symptoms and stay steady, that will help balance the chemicals in your brain. Yeah, you really do want to get this monster off of your back. You weren't on all that much and for not very long, so that's a really, really good sign.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Hi Rose, thanks. Yes, I was taking .75 3x a day for about 2.5 weeks or so until I started tapering again after you told me what to do. Still going well!
    iloerose and Whisper85 like this.

Taperoff is offline New Member

I need help tapering off and i am not sure if i am in coorect place
    I used xzanx for the past 4 years as needed just to put me to sleep
    A friend suggested so then it became recreational i was on .25 then went up to .5 now that i am family problems i am so depressed i went to 1mg a day
    Depressing still becuse problem not solved my
    I knew i had to slow down so since last month i have being extending the period between each .5 and now i am on .25 ever 30 hrs i dont know if what i am doing is right
    I don't know if i am posting in the coorect board

Please i need your help people

taperoff: Welcome to the boards. I hope you see this. You have your doses spaced so far apart that I would either keep increasing the spacing of your dosing time or try going to half of a .25mg. Xanax has such a short half life, you should be almost to the point of being able to just stop. Are you experiencing any w/d?

Peace,

Iloerose
    Whisper85 likes this.

Thanks for answering iloerose
    I am not sure if i can stop. i am having insomnia wich i use antihistamine for but not always
    Today and after 33 hrs from my last .25 did not feel in need but i took it becuse i just started the 30 hrs spacing and I didn't want to feel any W/D but my mode was very bad
    Started shouting
    What i want to know is how long dose it stay in my system after such long time of use

The thing is i have the .5 pills can only broken in to 2 parts

Then keep spacing the dosing time, do it slow at this point. You should maintain the 30 hours for a few days to see how you go. How long have you been on the .25mg.? Xanax has a half life of around 11.2 hours at a dose of .5mg. mostly this depends on the length of time you have been taking this and how much you've been taking. If you are spacing at 30 hours and not having any side effects or simply having minimal w/d effects, I would say you are pretty much done with this goat rodeo. I'd go a few days and see if any symptoms present. Keep increasing the space between doses if that helps.

Common side effects that could be with you awhile are: insomnia (or at least being unable to sleep for extended periods of time), mood changes (however what's to say what is normal?), feeling like you're in another world, stomach upset, and there are some others. GABBA receptors take a long time to heal and start regulating GABBA normally again. Be patient.

You're doing good. Please never use another benzodiazapine again. There are other sleep aids.

Peace,

Iloerose

I did the 30 hrs for 2 days and then 48 hrs twic today i am 60 hrs thinking to stop complitly
    What do u think ?

I am having average of 4 to 5 hrs of sleep but not daily some times i go 48 hrs no sleep

Ok
    I couldn't help it
    After 60 hrs i feel in need suddnly
    So i had to take .25

I need some thing for depression

Helpfuleyy is offline New Member

Default Not hard at all

So I had to write on someone's post regarding xanax.
    I guess I am your normal user,
    I started it as something to help me sleep and relax and I never realized it's seriousness.
    I than got up to taking 3-5 mgs a day, 5 would of had to of been a seriously bad day.
    But in doing this I didn't realize the effects that I felt and addictiveness as being so serious.
    I was highly addicted, I wasn't getting "high". I was getting to the point I felt good.
    I got it down to taking 1 MG for about 3 months ago becauseI finally realized the seriousness.
    2 weeks ago I spoke with someone about my usage and he told me 75% of xanax withdrawal is in your head and that all I needed to do was taper off by .25 everytime and I'll have no physical withdrawal.
    I listened to him..slightly
    The next day I immediately cut my usage to
    .50 for 2 days.
    I than went to .25 MG for the next week
    It wasn't something that was absolute torture but I took it as being sick and I just had to tough it out.
    That I did, it's now 5 days since my last xanax usage and I am feeling and smelling things I haven't in years since before I was a user.
    I don't feel 100% but I'm pushing threw it one day at a time for sure. I have my xanax still but you better believe I'm taking it a lot more serious than I used to. It is not a drug to mess with.
    I can't believe that 2 weeks ago I was an everyday xanax eatter.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-23-2015 at 07:28 PM.

robinrenee18 is offline New Member

Default So done with Xanax

I have been taking Xanax 1mg daily for 17 years. I suffer from severe anxiety and panic. I am so tired all of the time and I have no motivation. My prescription says to take 1 twice daily, I only take one and I have never had a problem with abusing my dose. I believe that it is time to stop taking this medication, I believe that I will be a better person without it. My fear is that I will start having panic attacks again. How do I overcome this and get this medication out of my body for good??

justmekw is offline Member

Robinrenee18, I too was prescribed xanax but didn't take them. I don't like how they make me feel. You need to slowly lower your dose its dangerous coming off of them too fast. When I have panic attacks I talk myself out of them now because I know its all in my mind. I try to distract myself, but in the back of mind sometimes can't but its something I just deal with. I would talk to your Dr about how your feeling and how to properly taper.

justmekw is offline Member

You might want to start your own thread since this is an old one. That way you can journal your progress and look back at your success for inspiration.

Joyinlife1981 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi all .. up until now I've been posting on the Sub boards and am currently doing a successful taper. Finally!

I didn't think my Xanax use was a big issue, but after reading many posts here, clearly it is. I have a short history with taking this drug. About a year ago I would take .5 mg whenever - it wasn't daily though. Then, starting about 5-6 months ago, I started taking more, like an idiot. I was taking .5 mg pills about 2-3 times per day. Once I realized how dangerous this drug is, I started to taper. For the last 2.5 weeks, I've cut it down to .25 mg 3x per day. I've had no rise in anxiety. I know this isn't a large dose but I want to taper so as not to encounter wd symptoms.

So, my question is, how should I continue? Is a 25% reduction recommended rather than what I've been doing? And how many days/weeks between drops?

Thanks to all of you in advance.
    -Katherine
    I know Xanax is hard to get off of. I've been taking Xanax for 10years with many failed attempts. This is what worked for me. I got the lowest dose possible .25mg and split it to 4. Making it .0625mg this help a lot. I've tried different dosage to taper and this worked the best. Also I go ride of the journaling of my progress. As I found it actually caused me to think of my tapering more often. I also got a pill remind box and prep my meds in it so I only had to think of my meds when I took it verses having to think of it more often do to cutting it everyday. I've learned this "Out of sight out of mind" method and it works. The less you see it the less you will think about it and dwell on it etc. I learned to listen to my body and I did not have myself on a schedule of when I would reduce to my next dose. I simple filled my med box for 2weeks worth of my meds and by the time I had to prep med again if I felt stable I would reduce dose if I felt I needed more time I would prep the same dose till I felt I was ready. But observing my taper, I would reduce anywhere from 2weeks to 4weeks. I also changed my diet to a whole plant base diet. Today is day 4 of Xanax Free! I remember I started sometime in June of 2015 so about a 8month slow taper from a 1.5mg daily use. So it takes time. I will say I'm not sxs free I experienced my early on set sxs the first 36hrs and I had to work. But I made it through and today I'm dealing with sxs but I'm still working even though if I could I'd prefer to have a week or more off to not have to deal with the sxs with working and be able to rest. But I have no choice I have to work. But I will say this looking back on All my failed attempts to be completely free of Xanax. My sxs were 1000 time worse I had even quit my old job last time I tried to stop. But this time it's completely different! I still have my job and sxs of first being off Xanax only lasted about 36hrs >> before it lasted about 1week to 1 1/2 weeks so a big difference. I've learn to apply all the above together for a successful taper and manageable withdrawal.

Joyinlife1981 is offline New Member

I just realized this was a old thread but that's ok. Also like to mention to add to my post before this, I have been taking this and it has to be the exact one it's organic Bragg Apple cider vinegar With the Mother in it. I take it 3 times a day before my meals. And it has helps with the flu like sxs and aches and headaches. It has been about 1week now since my last dose. And I feel amazing, I have hardly any sxs other than minor neck stiffness every so often. I can't even believe I'm only a week out and feeling normal I guess is the word I never thought I could feel these great so soon. Again I applied all the things mention to have a manageable taper off Xanax and withdrawal.

Kristine2 is offline New Member

Default Need taper plan

Hello all,

I've had anxiety for quite some time now and I've been on calonzapam 1 mg 4 times a day for 2 years for the past couple years I've been put on 4 Xanax bars a day dramatic change in dosage my doctor had put me on brintalex for anxiety well I have stopped taking it because it's made me a totally different person and I need to know if I'm the only one in this predicament I feel like I'm not myself I get shaky and just feel tired and dizzy I've stopped taking the brintalex about almost 2 months ago but what is the correct thing to do and how do you tappet off of Xanax on such a high dosage? All help I thank you all in advance I'm so sick of taking these I want to just stop taking them but I know that's not safe.

Thanks again

margot49 is offline New Member

Sorry, new to this site.
    I have been taking low dose Alprazolam for over 8 years. I now usually take 1/2 of a .5 mg tab AM and at bed time. I want to try to get off this med as I have other health issues and take other meds, Gabaoentin for one. Last couple of days I have tried stopping the morning pill. Do you think this ok? Seriously, my doctors offer little advice! I am trying to decrease the Gabapentin and none of them told me to gradually reduce over time! Good thing I looked that up. I have GI issues but now having toe numbness and burning feet, not diabetic. This morning, I have muscle pains in my thighs and calves. Any feedback? Thanks

Veryunhappy1 is offline New Member

I am also new. I have been taking 1 to 1.5 mg xanax at bedtime for about 2 years. I get sick and missed 3 days.The withdrawals are not good. They did not begin until day 2. Anxiety, hypertension, neck pain, tinnitus, and worse of all, terrible insomnia. I haven't slept in 2 days. This morning, I took .25 mg in hopes that it may help with the wd. If I could sleep, I am sure I would feel better. Any suggestions?

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veryunhappy1 View Post
    I am also new. I have been taking 1 to 1.5 mg xanax at bedtime for about 2 years. I get sick and missed 3 days.The withdrawals are not good. They did not begin until day 2. Anxiety, hypertension, neck pain, tinnitus, and worse of all, terrible insomnia. I haven't slept in 2 days. This morning, I took .25 mg in hopes that it may help with the wd. If I could sleep, I am sure I would feel better. Any suggestions?
    Please start your own thread so you can get personalized help and support. It's a little slow in the forums on the weekends, be patient and check your thread often.

TngirlSaraS is offline New Member

I need help tapern. Off Xanax....I take prob. 3 2mg poles a day...I DO NOT WANT 2 GO 2 THE HOSPITAL..... I DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE SOOOO....TAPEREN OFF IS MY ONLY HELP!! I'M VERY DESPERATE 2 GET OFF OF THEM....I DID THE COLD TURKEY N HAD A SEIZURE... SOO WITH THAT B N SAID...HOW DO I DO THIS??? I NEED HELP....

TngirlSaraS is offline New Member

Default I need help so bad...plz help me

Do not quit cold Turkey.....U CAN DIE...OR WORSE HAVE SEIZURE S..... TRUST ME...THAT SUCKS....G/L

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by TngirlSaraS View Post
    I need help tapern. Off Xanax....I take prob. 3 2mg poles a day...I DO NOT WANT 2 GO 2 THE HOSPITAL..... I DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE SOOOO....TAPEREN OFF IS MY ONLY HELP!! I'M VERY DESPERATE 2 GET OFF OF THEM....I DID THE COLD TURKEY N HAD A SEIZURE... SOO WITH THAT B N SAID...HOW DO I DO THIS??? I NEED HELP....
    Please start your own thread so you can get personalized help and support. Gives us your complete and detailed history with the xanax? Why were you taking them, for how long, what dosage did you start at, how long on current dosage, etc...?
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Ricknlisa is offline New Member

Default Help

Please help trying to get off xanax after 20 yrs..2mg xr oncee a day. How can i taper? Please help me.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-22-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Once a day

pubs1933 is offline New Member

Default explain a little more

Peace,

Iloerose
    please let me know when you cut down the .05mg of Xanax daily 25% to .125mg is that a daily cut down or once a week for several weeks
    thanks
    peggy