New to board and question about quitting Xanax
    caz55 is offline New Member

Default New to board and question about quitting Xanax

I'm glad I found this board and have ready many of the threads, which have been very informative. I have a question about getting off Xanax for my particular situation.

I only take 0.5 mg of Xanax a day for about 4 years for anxiety. I take .25 mg in the morning and .25mg in the evening. I rarely use them to go to sleep at night as I take the afternoon dose around 5:00 p.m. I hever have abused them. I've asked my psych doctor about getting off totally and he said that those low doses should not cause probems with seizures, but he did suggest I taper off, which I already knew.

I think I take them more out of fear of some withdrawal than actually needing them (at least I believe so), but I'd probably be lying a little if I said I didn't use them as a little bit of psychological crutch. If I go 12 hours or even longer between doses, I usually don't feel any withdrawal/anxiety. I don't take any other type of medications, nor do I drink. However, I am a recovering alcoholic and I was addicted to painkillers about 4 years ago for a while which was the reason for starting the Xanax in the first place for getting off the painkillers. Like I said, even given my history of addiction, I never abused Xanax. Stopping drinking and abusing painkillers and dealing with my issues head on through support groups has essentially rid me of anxiety although I still use the daily small dose of Xanax.

Getting off Xanax is the last remaining "crutch" I have and I'd like to get off them too.

Should I also taper off on a long schedule even at this low dose? I know I need to taper, but at what rate?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

hey caz: I would definitely taper that little bit of xanax. If you go to featured conditions or featured drugs can't remember which there was a person who tapered off that small of a dose. What dose are your pills? .25 or .5? that will help some to determine the taper. I would take one of the .25 doses and halve it, probably your night dose. Hold on that and see how you feel. Let me know what your symptoms are after you do that, if any. But def. let me know what dose pills you have at the moment. The rate of taper depends on you and your body and how you react physically. I would say cut every 7=10 days, max. Slow and steady wins the race with benzos.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    hey caz: I would definitely taper that little bit of xanax. If you go to featured conditions or featured drugs can't remember which there was a person who tapered off that small of a dose. What dose are your pills? .25 or .5? that will help some to determine the taper. I would take one of the .25 doses and halve it, probably your night dose. Hold on that and see how you feel. Let me know what your symptoms are after you do that, if any. But def. let me know what dose pills you have at the moment. The rate of taper depends on you and your body and how you react physically. I would say cut every 7=10 days, max. Slow and steady wins the race with benzos.

Peace,

Iloerose
    I have the .25 pills. I cut down a few years ago from 0.75 to 0.5 per day without any appreciable taper and I couldn't tell any difference. There are days I take less than 0.5 mg/day and I can't tell much difference. It's getting off them totally that strikes a little fear in me. I know I don't take a large dose compared to some on here, but I will still taper slowly. I have been on and off benzos for several years, but never have taken more than 0.75 mg in any one day. The past 4-5 years I have taken a small dose daily however. Thanks for responding.

Cut your dose in half at morning or at night. See how you feel and let it go for about a week to 10 days. If you feel fine cut out the other dose in half. Wait 10 days or more and see how you feel. If you feel alright, cut one of your doses either morning or night. And so on until you are done. Watch your symptoms closely. Check out Murugappan_rm51's thread on featured conditions Xanax Withdrawal. He went from a small dose very carefully and tracked his symptoms. That may help you get a feel for the symptoms you may look for. Then again you might not have any. Xanax is a strange beast. But better safe and taper than sorry, because you can develop seizures or symptoms days after you stop. Depends on the physical make-up of the person, etc.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    Cut your dose in half at morning or at night. See how you feel and let it go for about a week to 10 days. If you feel fine cut out the other dose in half. Wait 10 days or more and see how you feel. If you feel alright, cut one of your doses either morning or night. And so on until you are done. Watch your symptoms closely. Check out Murugappan_rm51's thread on featured conditions Xanax Withdrawal. He went from a small dose very carefully and tracked his symptoms. That may help you get a feel for the symptoms you may look for. Then again you might not have any. Xanax is a strange beast. But better safe and taper than sorry, because you can develop seizures or symptoms days after you stop. Depends on the physical make-up of the person, etc.

Peace,

Iloerose
    I've searched the board for Murugappan_rm51's thread and can't find it. Can you point me to it?

murugappan_rm51 under the forum "featured condition" the thread Xanax Withdrawal (about half way down)

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...l-24190-8.html

The link above should take you to his posts.

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Sorry to be such a pest, but the link doesn't take me anywhere. There are numerous pages under featured conditions and I scrolled through every one of them but couldn't find it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.

You are not a pest! His posts are on: General Discussion Boards under Featured Conditions then under the thread: Xanax Withdrawal, page 8 (this thread is almost to the bottom, last poster was Rober_325). You will find the posts of Murugappan_rm51. When you see Xanax Withdrawal hit the button for the last page (page 8).
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...l-24190-8.html.
    Hope you find it.

Iloerose

BenCarter is offline New Member

As with the trend in this conversation, you should probably taper.