New here, 6 months on 3 mg Xanax, need to get off
    Eliz429 is offline New Member

Default New here, 6 months on 3 mg Xanax, need to get off

Hey all, new here and in a lot of trouble. Starting taking Xanax to ease opiate withdrawals and never stopped. Ended up on 8 mg a day. Tried cold turkey, seized, ended up in the hospital in early November. Tapered down to 3 mgs and got a legitimate script from a general doc for 2 mgs a day. On last visit this past Saturday I told my doc the truth, that I was taking more and needed help coming off. He told me h was no longer going to write me scripts. I went to a psychiatrist yesterday and told him everything and about my desire to get off, how I was afraid to have symptoms because I'm scared of going back to opiates, my drug of choice. I even told him about the ashton manual. He wrote me a prescription for Zoloft and told me to decrease my dose by .5 a week. Is this too much? Should it be .5 every 2 eeks? .25 a week? I need to do this as painlessly as possible and cannot afford anymore doctor visits. I can't quote negotiate with my psychiatrist as this was my first time seeing him. I can't get longer acting benzos. And I can't risk discomfort leading me back to being a junkie. Someone please help me.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eliz429 View Post
    Hey all, new here and in a lot of trouble. Starting taking Xanax to ease opiate withdrawals and never stopped. Ended up on 8 mg a day. Tried cold turkey, seized, ended up in the hospital in early November. Tapered down to 3 mgs and got a legitimate script from a general doc for 2 mgs a day. On last visit this past Saturday I told my doc the truth, that I was taking more and needed help coming off. He told me h was no longer going to write me scripts. I went to a psychiatrist yesterday and told him everything and about my desire to get off, how I was afraid to have symptoms because I'm scared of going back to opiates, my drug of choice. I even told him about the ashton manual. He wrote me a prescription for Zoloft and told me to decrease my dose by .5 a week. Is this too much? Should it be .5 every 2 eeks? .25 a week? I need to do this as painlessly as possible and cannot afford anymore doctor visits. I can't quote negotiate with my psychiatrist as this was my first time seeing him. I can't get longer acting benzos. And I can't risk discomfort leading me back to being a junkie. Someone please help me.
    Read through this thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/benzodia...elp-72730.html

Even though this member is taking much less than you the same taper applies, 5-10% reductions every 7-10 days. Update when you can?