Off Xanax for 7 days
    trinni100 is offline New Member

Default Off Xanax for 7 days

I was on just 1mg Xanox that I took at night purely to help me sleep. I have to say that it didn’t really make me feel any different, just helped me sleep. I’m in the UK and doctors are very very reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills. I’ve been taking it for about 4 years. I also take prozac for depression. However a new doctor spent some time actually listening to me the other week and prescribed just 7 sleeping tablets so I decided that I’d use those and not use the Xanax. I’m now 7 days out. I’m suffering from temper tantrums, a few muscle spasms, lack of concentration, sudden bursts of activity and very little patience. Until I found this thread I worried that this was just my natural personality without Xanax (it still might be lol) but now I’m beginning to think that if I stick it out a bit longer, it will get better. My doctor doesn’t know about the Xanax of course. In fact nobody does. It’s not even available in the UK on prescription. I can’t tell my doctor obviously. However I see her again tomorrow and I just wondered if there is anything she could prescribe that would ease me over the next couple of weeks. I don’t want to replace one medication for another but but it would be nice not to keep yelling at my family and not to feel so anxious all the time. It’s as if I have PMT permanently (not likely, I’m 61). I go away with my grandkids in a couple of months and need to have more patience then

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

trinni - I see you got your own tread now, congratulations. Others will be by to give you support, info and suggestions so hang in there. In the meantime read some of the other threads in this forum, you'll find alot of great information! Keep posting and updating your thread?

As I said in the other forum, you are detoxing from the xanax and the symptoms you describe are most likely from the withdrawals! Although you weren't on a crazy amount of xanax you were still on it for 4 years which is a long time! Benzodiazepines should never be stopped abruptly, the best and safest way to come off xanax is a very slow and steady taper. Not to scare you but there is also a risk of seizures from abruptly stopping xanax, I'm not sure if this applies to you because of the low dose you were taking? I wish you well! God bless us all!

Thank you. When would you reckon the danger of seizures is over? Don't know how I'd explain that to my family! I'm not going back on Xanax now, even a lower dose. For one thing I'd have to buy some lower dose ones (which are expensive here in the UK) and also having held out for a week I'm not taking a backward step

Quote Originally Posted by trinni100 View Post
    Thank you. When would you reckon the danger of seizures is over? Don't know how I'd explain that to my family! I'm not going back on Xanax now, even a lower dose. For one thing I'd have to buy some lower dose ones (which are expensive here in the UK) and also having held out for a week I'm not taking a backward step
    Funnily enough, in the mornings I feel better. I don't even feel depressed and I have lots of energy but gradually during the day I can feel my patience waning and by the time I go to bed I feel like a tightly coiled spring and it wouldn't take much to make me lash out and somebody

Quote Originally Posted by trinni100 View Post
    I'm not sure when one would be in the clear of getting a seizure after stopping xanax cold turkey but if you read some of the other threads you might find some information regarding that question? As far as tapering goes it is recommended to reduce your dose by 5-10% every 5-7 days. It's not necessary to get smaller dosage pills, you can use a nail file or similar and shave off the percentages by eye. It just has to be close, you would then shave another 5-10% off the new shaved dose every 5-7 days until you're down to almost nothing! It's just not safe to quit benzos cold turkey, a slow and steady taper will ensure safety with little to no withdrawals! There are some others on this forum that have alot of experience with benzos, they'll be by at sone point to share thier personal opinions? Hang in there and read up on those threads... You'll get through this.... God bless us all!

I'm not going back to them now. I'll just have to cope with it. The doctor has prescribed some zolpidem tartrate anyway so I manage to get some sleep and at the end of the evening I'll chill out with a glass of wine. But I can't really find any answers as to when it starts going back to "normal". Discussing it with my doctor is absolutley not an option in the UK

As quoted from another well educated member here (Randy) and my sentiments exactly!

"I guess I'll never understand why people come here seeking help, advice, and support and do things their way regardless."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    As quoted from another well educated member here (Randy) and my sentiments exactly!

"I guess I'll never understand why people come here seeking help, advice, and support and do things their way regardless."
    I'm sorry, I didn'tmean toberude but I'm 8 days out now. If I start taking them again, I might not want to reduce them and in another 8 days I'll be where I am now. I'd still really like to know when I can be sure the risk of seizures is past.I actually slept all night last night with no nightmares. Am I tempting fate to think I might be over the worst?

Here, I did some research for you. Start reading this thread? About the 14th post down the thread will answer your question/questions! Good luck and take care... God bless us all!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...res-52451.html

Thank you. 10 days now. Still feel anxious a lot of the time and still lose my temper easily but I'm hoping it will get better from now

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Hi there. I think your risk of seizure is low. It's there but it is low so I wouldn't spend too much energy worrying about it. The zolpidem that your doctor gave you is sort of a kind of a benzo. It's not classed as a benzo but it really kind of is. It can also be addictive so I would use that very minimally.

Thanks but at least it would be legal and I could turn to my doctor. She won't prescribe more than about 7 a month anyway - which worries me about the other nights. Even as a child I never slept more than a couple of hours (fine if you don't have to work) so now I'm worried that, lying awake, I'll turn to Xanax again. Actually I think I'll chuck it out now, to be on the safe side

I hear ya about the sleep. Yup it's best not to take more than that. For sleep I now use herbal supplements. They work much better than you would think as long as you use quality brands. You have to do trial and error with dosage too.

which ones do you recommend

Well right now I'm using a combination product containing valerian root, passion flower, chamomille, skullcap and hops. This particular brand is produced on a small family owned farm in the U.S. and is organic, gluten free, vegan and GMO free. I am not going to mention brands (I think that's a no-no? Who knows what gets posts deleted.) but I found it by googling recommended supplement companies. It's not in any store, I have to order it online. They freeze dry the plants and put them in clear capsules. Other things in other formulas I've used are tart cherry, lemon balm, jujube and rhodiola. But the ones that have some scientific studies supporting their effectiveness are valerian and passion flower, at least according to the information I've found. It's hard to get scientific proof of effectiveness for herbal supplements because you can't patent natural plants.

There are many other substances that are supposed to promote sleep that are used in alternative medicine products. To name a few: melatonin, L-tryptophan, magnesium, kava, L-theanine, GABA, among others. For these you should educate yourself and be careful. They can interact with medications you are taking and some have been controversial for various reasons. You should not take tryptophan or 5-HTP while you are on Prozac for example. Magnesium is safe but will make you "go" if you take too much. (It promotes relaxation - including your intestines!)

Do not use kratum or poppy tea. These work on the opiate receptors and are addictive.

In the long run, I really recommend you learn all you can about alternative products before using them much, and consult with an alternative practitioner. Alternative medicine does not work like prescription or OTC pills like Ambien or Unisom, ie: take one pill and you will go to sleep. For one thing strength varies a lot between brand and between production methods (whole, full spectrum, standardized, extract) and also the dose recommended on the bottle is more like a suggestion and often is too low to be effective. (Melatonin is an exception, in that case the reverse is true; they often recommend way too much.)

But if you want to know what I did when I first tried this, I bought a bottle of Valerian root at the local store and tried it until I found a dose that worked. But this is not going to make you sleep like a rock during withdrawal from Xanax. These things are more supportive, they allow you to sleep, they don't make you sleep. Since you have had long standing problems with sleep, these are things you can use in the long run to develop better sleep patterns on a regular basis. They work fantastic for me now, with zero hangover problems the next day. But during benzo withdrawal I just didn't sleep til I was past it, I was lucky to get two hours.

You could try the Valerian and see if it helps at all. Or start with some chamomille tea. Go from there and see what you can learn.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2016 at 10:58 PM.

thank you very much - I'll look into it