Question for Robert 325 about coming off Xanax 8 mg a day for a year or so
    micronurse is offline Junior Member

Red face Question for Robert 325 about coming off Xanax 8 mg a day for a year or so

Hello Robert, how are you? Long time no talk to! I am asking this on behalf of my BIL who has just taken himself off Methadone and now wants to get off the Xanax his doctor had him on. He has been talking 2 mg four times a day so 8 mg total a day to come off. So what do you think would be the fastest amount that he could taper off this dose safely without the worry of seizures? Thanks so much! I am doing good by the way, down to like 200 mg morphine a day and hope to cut that to 100 soon then off! Talk to you soon!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by micronurse View Post
    Hello Robert, how are you? Long time no talk to! I am asking this on behalf of my BIL who has just taken himself off Methadone and now wants to get off the Xanax his doctor had him on. He has been talking 2 mg four times a day so 8 mg total a day to come off. So what do you think would be the fastest amount that he could taper off this dose safely without the worry of seizures? Thanks so much! I am doing good by the way, down to like 200 mg morphine a day and hope to cut that to 100 soon then off! Talk to you soon!

8 mg of xanax is a relatively high dose! And xanax is a very fast acting benzo causing w/d symptoms every four hours or so as the half life is only 4-6 hours. I would rather see him on Klonopin or valium to do a taper. Klonopin half life is about 36 hours or so and valium is 50 hours or longer, so you don't go through the constant w/d so regularly and it's easier to taper off. I would have him go to the dr and explain this line of thought and tell the dr what he is doing. Most drs are very reasonable when they know we are telling the truth. Not saying you can't taper off xanax but it's a TOUGH one! Call the dr first and see if they will switch medications, then we can do the taper properly. God bless.

micronurse is offline Junior Member

Thanks Robert, I will tell him. The trouble right now is that he does not have a doctor. The one who got him on all the Methadone, Adderall and Xanax was let go from where he worked and then quit returning my BIL's phone calls after saying he would help him. He is trying to find a new doctor on top of his wife getting a divorce from him and possibly cutting off his insurance soon. Those were the reasons he was trying to get off these medications. Perhaps he would find a doctor that would be willing to switch him over to Klonopin or Valium. I saw those charts on that one page I saw you recommend to people about tapering drugs using Valium and Klonopin. Maybe he can take one of those charts with the Xanax and Valium taper to this new doctor and show them it is a good choice to switch. Hope he can find some help. He was miserable coming off the Methadon. he did the Adderall first and then the Methadone but has the Valium left. He is somewhat angry about getting on all these meds he did not know were so addicting.