Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kandusp83180
Running on Empty due to Lorazepam/Ativan weaning.. Someone who knows please help!!
    kandusp83180 is offline New Member

Exclamation Running on Empty due to Lorazepam/Ativan weaning.. Someone who knows please help!!

Hey everyone of this board. My name is Kandus. I have been on Lorazepam/Ativan for about 10 months now. My dosage is 2mg 3xs a day.. I've been reading some of the other threads about what others take.. And well mine seems too high.. I am now trying to wean myself off it completely. Before anyone asks, I have a severe anxiety/panic disorder, severe depression, insomnia, agoraphobia and bi-polar. I'm also on 300mgs of Zoloft a day. And 50-100mgs of Seroquel daily. I've already cut down my ativan to 2mgs twice a day. I'm really scared to even think how bad the withdrawls are going to be. This is a really scary time for me. I am getting off of them due to where I live, my psychiatrist quit, and then they closed the psychiatric clinic down.. And no GP or PC dr will prescribe it due to a DEA #.. I know I am addicted to them. I wish someone would have warned me of this. I don't think that they have been doing me any good. Honestly, people think I've became worse. I locked myself in my room for 6 weeks and had pretty much given up. I just watched my boyfriend go thru and is still going thru detox/withdrawls from xanax. Can someone give me a general idea of how long the withdrawls last, and what the withdrawl symptoms are. It would be greatly appreciated. And yes it's true that you can become highly addicted to benzo's very quickly.. I've even read that you shouldn't be taken it for more than 3 months at a time. I don't really have many of the pills left. So this weaning process will not last for weeks unfortunately. I might have enough for a week maybe 2. I am super miserable right now and just would like some help, considering I don't really have anyone to talk to about this. I haven't been able to find another psychiatrist, and I have yet to see my GP. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lost & Scared In La.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Is your ativan prescription legitimate? What is the deal with the DEA#? Ativan has a short half life. You need to see a doctor and talk about weaning off these slowly. You are on high doses of other anxiety drugs. There is no advice I can give you. There is a high rate of seizure from going off of benzo drugs too quickly. YOU MUST SEE A DOCTOR. As far as how long the w/d's last, they can last a long while. It takes a long while for your gabba receptors to heal. I will repeat the need to see a doctor. I'll bet you're miserable right now, partially from just the worry. Maybe you're experiencing w/d already. You can post back and I'll listen and try to help, but I'm not a doctor. This is way over my head. W/D symptoms: good possibility of seizure, insomnia, feeling like you're not "there" which is dysphoria. GET HELP. The least you need is an anti-seizure med. Go see your GP and tell him everything. You might check out the ashton manual. I will listen, support, but I cannot help you with this. Sorry to be negative, but it's the truth. I wish you the best of luck.

Peace,

Iloerose

Yes my prescription is legit. Well Idk whats up with the DEA # but here in Louisiana Ativan has one.. And I dont get to see a doctor for a whole nother week. So i guess i'm pretty screwed.. I cant get my parents to take it seriously either.. I wish that they would understand.. Yes i know that i am on high doses of anxiety drugs.. Its because it's bad.. I dont know what i will get out of this dr i will be going to see.. since this will be my first time to see this one.. But im makin my mother go so she an explain to him whats going on.. I do want to thank you for responding. I'm gonna send this little message to my mother so she can see that I'm not blowin smoke up her butt.. I am worried.. I am scared.. Thanks again for the advice.. Negative or not. It's something that was needed..

Lost & Scared in LA.

Keep your doses as even as you can. In fact what you can do is take it at the onset of symptoms a bit at a time. You will make it through the week. If you start to really feeling strange: tics, any signs you may be having even a small seizure, you need to see a doc. I know you're scared, but that's partly the drug. Try to stay positive, get some exercise and stay hydrated. Keep posting and I will hold your hand through this. I know what benzo w/d is. Try to stay out of your head as much as you possibly can. Do things that distract you. Watch crazy you tube videos. Watch comedies. Stay away from stress as much as you can. You'll make it. Ativan has a dea# because it is a class III? I believe. Try not to worry about the shoulda coulda wouldas.

Peace,

Iloerose

Well thank you for responding back. It's been a rough week so far. I wouldn't even know if I was on the verge of having a seizure. Since, I've never had one before. I am trying to stay positive. It's just really hard on me. I am staying hydrated. But do not have the energy to do anything else really. My legs and hands just shake so badly. And I get winded very quickly doing the smallest of things. I do try to find things to stay out of my head. But it doesn't always work so well. And for me to stay away from stress is hard in my life. I guess that's why I am in the mess I am to begin with. Yes, it's a class III drug. And no one wants to prescribe it here. Except for psychiatrist. And as I stated before, we don't even have one right now. It's very frustrating to go thru this. I don't get how they don't explain to you before they put you on a drug that is suppose to help you that you can become addicted to it and the w/d's are horrible. There's gonna be a suit filled against this hospital. Because I am not the only one who's going thru this here due to their lack of helping us. I don't try to think about very much. But it's like my brain is going 1000 mph. Thanks for holding my hand thru this. It's a daily struggle. I just wish I could find some comfort somewhere. Somehow. But I will keep hanging in there. Cause, I'm a fighter, and I am not gonna give up. I'll end this now. Thanks for listening.

Lost & Scared in LA.

Hang in there and stay mad. Yes it's very frustrating, some docs don't believe that ativan is even addicting! Keep posting your symptoms. Your body becomes dependent on the benzos very quickly. Doesn't matter about the addiction part, you're still going to suffer the w/d consequences. Keep posting and do try to stay out of your head. Remember, it's not you, it's the drug. Post whatever you need to, however you feel. I'll keep checking in on you.
    Hang Tough, remember it's the drug and it will mess with your head!

Peace,

Iloerose

rossmike703 is offline New Member

i also feel ur pain. im on valium, and i tapered my self off very slowly. i went from 20mg of valium, to 2mg now. its very hard on the gaba part of ur brain. u just dont feel right, u have horrible panic attacks, mostly when ur sleeping. if u can even sleep at all. ask ur doctor about restoril. its also benzo. it helps with sleep and withdrawals. it works trust me my friend, 30mg of restoril. it works. ur brain will heal in 1 to 2 months.

Well I just wanted to update on my issues. I have been in the mental hospital for the past week. I just got out today. I got detoxed off the ativan. I'm no longer even on the Valium now. I am still on Zoloft, but he dropped it down to just 150mgs a day. And I have to take trazadone to sleep. I have to say that stuff got really bad for me last weekend. I gave up. I couldn't stay out my head. But my mom promised to get me help if I could just wait til Monday. And she did stay true to her word. I didn't ever have any withdrawl symptoms when i was in the hospital. And I am doing really good now. So help was exactly what I needed. And now I just have to stay on the right path, and not stray from that for a minute. Thanks for all the concerns and everything.
    lotus930 likes this.

I'm so glad you got the help that you needed, Kandus, I wish you the best!

Peace,

Iloerose

Well I kinda had a set back yesterday. I ended up having 2 anxiety attacks back to back. And nothing to take for it. I just wish it would go away. I'm not cured. It's still there. But like I was told by the doctors and the other people working in this hospital, I have to find an outlet that helps me get it under control. I didn't eat for 2 days. And I couldn't really drink anything either. I was super nauseous and starving at the same time. I still couldn't eat until today. I just want to have my whole life back. I was and I am still proud of the steps and achievements I have made. I will continue to work on myself until I do get over the anxiety one way or another. Thanks for wishing me the best. I still have a long road ahead of me. But at least I'm more confident about it now. I will have to go thru therapy and counseling. It's just a part of my treatment. And I know deep down in my heart, that I will get better and over come all this mess.

I am proud of your achievements! It's no easy matter to break the benzo cycle. Some of your anxiety is still healing of the gabba receptors. It's going to take a long time, but you are going to have to learn to deal with the symptoms, they won't go away over night. Push through the anxiety, learn how to meditate to stay out of your head, or even breathing exercises. Hang Tough. You will get better. The only supplement I've heard that helps some people is L-theanine, you might ask your doc if that would be a good idea. It's so easy to say "just push through the symptoms" but that's what most learn to do and I know you can do this. You WILL heal.

Peace,

Iloerose