Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ccrun1800
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Short term Lorazepam use and withdrawal
    ccrun1800 is offline New Member

Default Short term Lorazepam use and withdrawal

I begin using Lorazepam after some serious panic attacks on the 18th of November. I have always had a history of anxiety but this was the first time I felt that the attacks were beyond my ability to control with my usual calming techniques. I averaged about a 1-1.5mg per day up til the 17th of December. At that point I ask my Doc to take me off due to the addictive nature of the drug.

He instructed me to start tapering by cutting my dose in half. So I have been taking half a .5mg pill in the morning and the evening. Well since that Tuesday I have not slept more than 4 hours in a night. I also am having muscle/joint aches( my hips are killing me) and I have been experiencing tingling and burning sensations over my body. Is it possible for me to be experiencing such symptoms after only using the drug for three weeks? What can I do to combat these symptoms I feel like >>>> every day and it only seems to be getting worse. Finally my PCP prescribed me Lexxapro as a substitute for the Lorazepam. Does anyone have any experience with going on a SSRI lexxapro while coming off a Benzo. I appreciate any input on this the past couple days have been terrible.
    falcon1953 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Yes, it's possible to have symptoms that quickly from lorazapam, or ativan after only three weeks. There is really nothing you can do to alleviate symptoms. Nothing substitutes for it either. Is there a reason besides the relief from ativan w/d that your doc proscribed the lexapro? Lexapro is an SSRI and used to treat depression. Lexapro, as with other SSRI's take around two weeks to kick in. Benzo drugs such as ativan work on the gabba receptors. Ativan also has a relatively short half-life and the onset of w/d symptoms happen quicker. Dropping too quickly can cause seizures as well as the symptoms you are experiencing. Remember everyone is different and you may be past the seizures, but can't guarantee that. You are dropping too quickly if you are dropping by half.

Fist of all, the drop was too fast. I would usually recommend you only drop by 10%. I would drop by a quarter of a pill every 7-10 days, which will take you awhile to get off of. Or you could try half a pill every 7-10 days. You are dropping way, way too fast at 50%. It does not take long for a short acting benzo for your body to become dependent on these.

So, if you are taking 1.5mg. per day (if that's your "steady dose") Take your .5mg am and pm and drop to .25mg. (half a .5mg. dose) for your middle dose and take your .5 dose.

If you are on 1mg. split in half: take .25 from either your morning or night time dose. Do this for around 7 days then drop another .25mg. Do you see what I'm getting at?

What you can do to help: drink plenty of water, orange juice, stay away from anything processed. Take your usual vitamins. The only supplement that I can think of is L-theanine. There is also something called Serene Theanine that may help with the w/d. Are your symptoms easing up any?

Peace,

Iloerose
    CTurkyMeth120mg likes this.

Thank you so much for letting me know how serious Benzo withdrawals can be. After reading your post and some further research I am restarting my taper at your prescribed levels. At the new levels I am actually fully functional besides some minor muscle aches. Once again thank you taking the time to let me know I wasn't going crazy or had some other unknown condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrun1800 View Post
    Thank you so much for letting me know how serious Benzo withdrawals can be. After reading your post and some further research I am restarting my taper at your prescribed levels. At the new levels I am actually fully functional besides some minor muscle aches. Once again thank you taking the time to let me know I wasn't going crazy or had some other unknown condition.
    Wanted to answer your question about the Lexapro. It was prescribed to treat my current level of anxiety now that my panic attacks have subsided. My anxiety is no longer of the panic attack inducing variety but more of a constant haze every day. This was why I started taking the Ativan daily which of course put me in the bind I am in now. I have some history with SSRIs having used Zoloft a couple years ago when I had an anxiety spike. They tend to even me out and make it very hard to get happy or sad. Right now with the rollercoaster my anxiety is a lack or less than normal amount of emotions is a welcome respite.

I haven't started the Lexapro yet so any insight to my thought process on this would be appreciated.

I do not know anything about the lexapro or how it will help your anxiety, but yes, it should work somewhat like the Zoloft. You will naturally experience some anxiety weaning from the ativan. It's important to understand that, but it shouldn't be debilitating. You need to realize that there are going to be some symptoms during the taper (like your muscle aches), but the gabba receptors take a long time to heal.

IB12 is offline New Member

I've been on activan generic lorazpam for about a month Dr wants me off of it told me to take ad needed ...it's been two days without. ..The anxiety comes in waves how do I know when to stop!! So confused. ..wish I never went on this stupid meds

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IB12 View Post
    I've been on activan generic lorazpam for about a month Dr wants me off of it told me to take ad needed ...it's been two days without. ..The anxiety comes in waves how do I know when to stop!! So confused. ..wish I never went on this stupid meds
    Hi there. You need to slowly taper off the Ativan. This is very important. Suddenly stopping a benzo can cause all kinds of nasty side effects, including seizures. As Rose mentioned in the above post, you should reduce by a quarter of a pill every 7-10 days.

How much Ativan were you taking every day? Let us know and we can help you with a taper plan.

All the best,
    Kat

Goku3335 is offline New Member

Hello, I have been using lorazepam for anxiety for 3-4 weeks. I started taking .5mg at night but I began getting headaches and return of symptoms during the day. I upped the dosage to 1 mg and things seemed ok and the same thing happened I am now taking 2 mg per day to stay functional. Is this typical for the drug to lose strength this quickly? I initially went into the hospital because of a perceived heart attack or just sudden chest pain. After the 3rd time they gave me Ativan in hospital and family doc prescribed lorazepam for panic attack. Iam not sure it was a panic attack. I usually get heart palpitations and chest pain also my stomach has been gurgling and I belch quite a bit I can't remember if this was before or after the first lorazepam dose. I do know that the chest pain and weird breathing was before any Ativan or lorazepam. I have an appointment tomorrow to talk with the doc about the medicine. I do want to remain functional as I work full time and am in grad school. in two weeks I have finals and would hate for this semester to go down the drain. Any suggestions for weening or other drugs would be great. Thanks

I highly suggest that you get off these drugs. Contact your doctor. What you are experiencing is that you are building a tolerance to this drug. I suggest that exhaust all other forms of treatment: check for thyroid for sure (low thyroid can cause panic attacks), before you begin a benzo drug: you should never, ever take these long term. These drugs are meant for short term use, not every day long term use. Stay away from any benzo drug if you can: by the time you want off it's too late and the w/d from benzo's makes H w/d look like a cake walk.

Peace,

Iloerose

Goku3335 is offline New Member

[QUOTE=iloerose;429109]I highly suggest that you get off these drugs. Contact your doctor. What you are experiencing is that you are building a tolerance to this drug. I suggest that exhaust all other forms of treatment: check for thyroid for sure (low thyroid can cause panic attacks), before you begin a benzo drug: you should never, ever take these long term. These drugs are meant for short term use, not every day long term use. Stay away from any benzo drug if you can: by the time you want off it's too late and the w/d from benzo's makes H w/d look like a cake walk.

Ok, I just got back and asked for lexapro to treat anxiety. I have had my thyroid checked which came back ok. I was anemic and had that work redone yesterday. I asked for diazepam equivalent dose to ween off and the nurse seemed to agree. So what is a good plan to ween? I am now on 15 mg and want to go down to 10 in a week... Does that sound too fast ? I figure this will give some time for the lex pro to kick in and won't be so bad with anxiety

mimibb7 is offline New Member

I started taking the generic form of Lorezepam about 1 yr ago, .5 mg, and only at night to help with anxiety in sleeping. I recently have had some intestinal issues and decided to get off this medication, not realizing it needed to be done in a certain way. I just quit taking it cold turkey. Well, every night I fall asleep just fine and 90 minutes later I wake up with weird sensations in my stomach...like I have bugs crawling inside of me. I also get very uncomfortable laying in bed and my legs are jumpy. I finally did some reading and am now wondering what in the world I have done to myself....trying to just quit this med! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I am tired of this weird almost hallucinogenic feeling! Thanks!!

highpotency is offline New Member

Hello guys, I Know the OP posted this over a year ago, but I noticed someone posted earlier this year, anyways, I'd like to shed light on my experiences and what I am currently going through. First of all, I was on lexapro for 4 years, my doctor put me on it because I was having back pain (due to lifting weight wrong, having bad posture, and sleeping on an unforgivable mattress) and was going to be going to college soon. I really just wanted something to take for the pain itself, so I could have no pain while I exercised myself back into good health. Anyways, it took 4 weeks for the lexapro to kick in, then I was feeling a whole lot more happy and confident, a lot of the anxiety due to my back pain subsided. But then, about a year and a half into my college the back pain came back with a full on "WHAM" and it was more intense then before, my doctor requested I change meds or up my dosage, but I felt like this was just gonna get me even more addicted and I thought a lot about my future and didn't want to continue that. So, I stayed on my 10mg dosage. Needless to say, everything got much worse. I had to quit school after 2 years, I couldn't bare to be around people, and I couldn't sit in a chair without my back KILLING me. I spent another year going to a spiraling slope, to the point to where I felt like an emotional zombie. I couldn't feel happiness, I was angry at EVERYTHING. I took my anger out on some innocent animals, then it got to the point to where I wanted to kill myself. I put a gun down my throat 4 different times, at one time I shot the gun off into the air right past my head just so I could feel the power of being able to end my life.... I never actually went through with the suicide because I couldn't let my family deal with that grief and sorrow for the rest of their lives, and also being a Christian I knew God doesn't want anyone to end their lives, but to endure through times of struggle. My gf began to hate everything I was becoming, our relationship turned to pure poop. Then that year I decided I had enough and was going to take myself off the pill. At first I cut it in half expecting that that was ok, but let me tell you, that was the worst decision I ever made. I didn't consult my doctor and didn't do any research. I immediately began to go into a form of shock I'd say, my brain began "zapping" and my body followed suit. It felt as though electricity was running through me, along with no ability to comprehend or process any information in my brain. My body was going on full shutdown. I immediately went back to my 10 mg dose, then proceeded with doing MAJOR research online. I read thousands, I MEAN THOUSANDS of horror stories online of people going through the same thing, wanting to die, but NOT ONE PERSON HAD EVER SUBMITTED A STORY OF SUCCESSFULLY COMING OFF LEXAPRO. So, I dug deeper and found that in order to come off a SSRI you must cut your dose by 1 MG every 4 weeks. I was disgusted at this. For my doctor originally wouldn't give me pain pills because he claimed they were addicting. Yet I've been able to kick opiates multiple times after being strung out, and only withdrew for about 3-7 days tops. With lexapro at 10 mg, this is about a 1 year withdrawal. I was so disgusted at our society and our doctors who we put faith in everyday. Anyways, I began the SLOW taper. After a long and miserable 36 weeks I was down to 1 mg. Then I tried to stop and my body got SUPER PISSED at me. I decided to get a new doctor, who recommended I see a councilor while I made this final jump. I did research on a product called 5-HTP (which does cross the blood brain barrier) and asked them both if I could take this in replace of the 1 mg lexapro. They both recommended it was a good idea, but never initially suggested it until I brought it up. I bought the stuff instantly and began taking it along with changing my diet immensely. I actually even chipped down the 1 mg to dust before I actually fully pulled myself off it, then once off, I switched to 5-HTP once per day along with eating super clean and healthy. I drank a lot of hemp milk, and avoided ALL unnatural sugars, caffeine, and carbonated drinks. The first week to 2 weeks were somewhat hard, but then I began to slowly come out of it and by weeks 3-4 I started to feel a huge change. By then end of week 4 I completely cold turkey dropped the 5-HTP. For the first time in my life, I was off lexapro, and not going through withdrawals. Over the following 30 days I began to see a HUGE change in my life. Incredible amount of positive energy, no more anger, no more suicidal thoughts, and I was able to think clearly for the first time in 4 years. However, the back pain still stayed with me, and has never gone away since. I'm slowly working on recovering my back everyday, by avoiding sitting (I'm a professional in the IT world, so sitting was my life always at a computer, I changed that habit and now stand at my work station), I also go on daily walks and do many abdominal work outs and target my psoas muscle. Fast forwarding 6 months (just 6 weeks ago): I began to experience stress in my life once again, mainly due to work related issues. I began having full blown panic attacks to the point to where my heart was beating 180-200 beats per minute, shaking/shiver so hard, and full on sweat. This went on for a few days, each time lasting up to 2 hours, to the point to where I thought I was going to die. My cousin, who didn't want to see me suffering and possibly about to lose my life from a heart attack, brought me out 15 xanax (half his monthly dose as he only takes them when necessary). I took a half of one during my last FULL panic attack, and immediately got relief. I felt 100% better. However, my addictive personality took over, and I began to take .125 mg (1/8th of the 1mg football xanax) everyday every 8 hours to help control this stress I was going through. I didn't want to have another panic attack. Then 3 weeks went by and I needed to take a bit more about .5mg per day, or .25mg at a time. Then I began to do research. I realized I was at the point of already being addicted to another drug. I couldn't stop though until my job problems subsided, as I couldn't deal with the stress. I took it for another week, 4 weeks total, then I posted on the forum a plan to help me get off of the pills, also I was out of xanax so I had to switch to Ativan. My plan was to switch from xanax to ativan, then from ativan to Valium, as according to the research I did, valium is much easier to withdrawal from. The ativan, was horrible, it did help with the anxiety, but I needed to dose a lot more often, and it made me feel very different than xanax made me feel. It was almost like I felt like a ghost sometimes, and almost like I had a cold (sore throat, increased pain, etc). I took it for 2 weeks, then said "screw this" and switched to valium. I used the online benzo dose calculator to make sure I had the proper dose. This was yesterday 11/29/2014 that I made the switch. Immediately I felt the best I've felt in a long time. I felt very relaxed, clear headed, and able to make rational decisions without even thinking of panic. Due to valium's long lasting effects (ativan/xanax being very short acting) I was able to only dose 2x yesterday. Today I woke up at 5:30 am in pool of sweat and shivering, as I'm probably pushing out the ativan in my body, and should of redosed a couple hours earlier, but I was in a deep sleep. I took my 2.5 mg dose this morning at 5:30 am immediately under the tongue, and within minutes was feeling much better. I went online to read stuff (I'm crazy about reading posts) when I discovered this one. I felt it was necessary to write this forever long statement in hopes it would enlighten someone in their time of trouble. The plan is to reduce my val dosage every 7-10 days at 25% per drop until I'm off the vals, as I'm currently out of my job related stress. I've been on benzos for 6 weeks now, am kind of afraid of having seizures which is why I went online today, but I think I'm 100% fine. My recommendation for everyone who reads my story is to NEVER EVER EVER go on ANY SSRI antidepressant, I don't care WHAT your excuse is, all your going to do is destroy yourself and end up eventually going through HELL. I've kicked H. before (have never went back to opiates in over a year), and must say it was 100000 times easier than getting off lexapro, even after using it for months in a row. The doctors and pharmaceuticals really know how to sell you, they don't care about our lives, they want us dead or they want to control us and take our money at the same time. As for benzos, they are just as dangerous if not MORE. So take caution when using them on a daily basis, try not to go past 3 weeks if you can. Ideally take them only when having a panic attack. Well that wraps up my super long story. Thank you all for listening, I think I will make my own post here on the forum with this entire statement of my life God bless each and every one of you, and may you all find peace, wisdom and inspiration in your struggles through life!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-30-2014 at 09:44 AM.

270Winmag is offline New Member

Taking Lorazepam .5 mg for anxiety , 2 times a day and 1 at night , for 3 weeks giving me weird dreams early in the morning don't know what is going on.

270Winmag is offline New Member

Lloerose. , please help me I also am asking 0.5 mg lorazepam three times a day for 3 weeks I hate them I have tinnitus and started getting anxiety , I try to use them as needed only , but in the the morning I have been having some weird dreams before I wake up alot of them , please explain to me the best way to get off of these slowly I want to start today please , and how who you know so much how to do this , please help .

blazingthetime is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 270Winmag View Post
    Lloerose. , please help me I also am asking 0.5 mg lorazepam three times a day for 3 weeks I hate them I have tinnitus and started getting anxiety , I try to use them as needed only , but in the the morning I have been having some weird dreams before I wake up alot of them , please explain to me the best way to get off of these slowly I want to start today please , and how who you know so much how to do this , please help .
    Experience is how he knows so much. Much like myself have a lot of experience starting and stopping benzos. Both cold turkey and taper. The dreams sound like a paradoxical side effect. But as to getting off the benzos try to taper by 25%. So if you're taking 1mg a day take .75mg a day for about a week then drop another 25%. Keep doing this until you are at either .25mg or half of that. Then you will be at a low enough dose to stop without severe withdrawal. There will still be some anxiety and insomnia but it won't be life threatening

And for future reference you can become physically dependent on Benzos after just 3-4 consecutive days of use.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-22-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Maki74 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by blazingthetime View Post
    Experience is how he knows so much. Much like myself have a lot of experience starting and stopping benzos. Both cold turkey and taper. The dreams sound like a paradoxical side effect. But as to getting off the benzos try to taper by 25%. So if you're taking 1mg a day take .75mg a day for about a week then drop another 25%. Keep doing this until you are at either .25mg or half of that. Then you will be at a low enough dose to stop without severe withdrawal. There will still be some anxiety and insomnia but it won't be life threatening

And for future reference you can become physically dependent on Benzos after just 3-4 consecutive days of use.
    Hi to all. Pls help. I m 43 y old male suffering from anxiety and panic disorder from my age of 18. I had bad and good periods. I started with medicines when i got first time married. I v changed many psyhytrist till now. All of them gonna prescribe me ssri and some anxiolytics. I tried sertraline paroxetin excitalooram fluvoxamin and now i m on fluoxetine for 6 y only 50 mg per day. My first wife left me because I wasn't able to go out from house and i lost my job. she said i m psyho and left me just like that. We have 3 kids. I admit I wasn't function properly and she didn't have much help from me. I recovered and i got job in Qatar. I married again and got 2 kids more. I m lucky my job is only few hours and i was able to handle that but rest of day i ll be in the bed laying doen and sleeping. I don't know if from fluvoxamin or my illness. Well. What i want to ask. Last few months i had very bad stress on my job so i took 1 mg LORAZEPAM EVERY NIGHT. I slept good for 2 m than i had more stress and i was adding xanax 0,5 during the day. I was also trying to put out fluvoxamin because it making me staying in bed long time and very tired. I started fluvoxamin every second day and i tried to stop lorazepam. I got terrible insomnia panic attack all day checking my bp. Sugar. Etc. i m afraid to die to get heart attack. I went to dr he said go back to fluvoxamin 50 mg daily and go with 0,5 lorazepam 4 days than go ooff I tried. But i have terrible symptoms. I don't even sleep few h oer day. I m afraid to lose job and my second marriage. Every night i have panic attacks. My wife getting crazy. I feel side effects again from fluvoxamin plus withdrawal symptoms. I red some forums to tapper down. Or to switch to valium. Good that i have some stock of all medicine. I m trying to take 5 mg diazepam than i go back to 0,5 lorazepam than I try with xanax and i mix it all. I don't know anymore what to do. Dr said they r just tapering up to 1 mg lorazepam than they stop. I don't know if he s crazy or not well educated. I have terrible symptoms. Don't know if its withdrawal or side effects again from fluvoxamin or my panic disorder. Pls help. I m in islam country where is to get psyhytrist or medicine as u get lottery. My next apoitment is 8 of August. I need to start job 1 August. I cant function. I m afraid to go out of house alone. I don't sleep at all. Pls what to do. Now i m 10 days constantly on 50 mg fluvoxamin and trying with benzo up and down and mixing xanax or diazepam or just 0,5 lorazepam. I m now 5 days without lorazepam but was taking 3 days xanax 0,25 3 times. Or 5 mg diazepam at night. Plsssss help. What to do. I don't know anymore which medicine is working for me I m afraid of everything. Tnx

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maki74 View Post
    Hi to all. Pls help. I m 43 y old male suffering from anxiety and panic disorder from my age of 18. I had bad and good periods. I started with medicines when i got first time married. I v changed many psyhytrist till now. All of them gonna prescribe me ssri and some anxiolytics. I tried sertraline paroxetin excitalooram fluvoxamin and now i m on fluoxetine for 6 y only 50 mg per day. My first wife left me because I wasn't able to go out from house and i lost my job. she said i m psyho and left me just like that. We have 3 kids. I admit I wasn't function properly and she didn't have much help from me. I recovered and i got job in Qatar. I married again and got 2 kids more. I m lucky my job is only few hours and i was able to handle that but rest of day i ll be in the bed laying doen and sleeping. I don't know if from fluvoxamin or my illness. Well. What i want to ask. Last few months i had very bad stress on my job so i took 1 mg LORAZEPAM EVERY NIGHT. I slept good for 2 m than i had more stress and i was adding xanax 0,5 during the day. I was also trying to put out fluvoxamin because it making me staying in bed long time and very tired. I started fluvoxamin every second day and i tried to stop lorazepam. I got terrible insomnia panic attack all day checking my bp. Sugar. Etc. i m afraid to die to get heart attack. I went to dr he said go back to fluvoxamin 50 mg daily and go with 0,5 lorazepam 4 days than go ooff I tried. But i have terrible symptoms. I don't even sleep few h oer day. I m afraid to lose job and my second marriage. Every night i have panic attacks. My wife getting crazy. I feel side effects again from fluvoxamin plus withdrawal symptoms. I red some forums to tapper down. Or to switch to valium. Good that i have some stock of all medicine. I m trying to take 5 mg diazepam than i go back to 0,5 lorazepam than I try with xanax and i mix it all. I don't know anymore what to do. Dr said they r just tapering up to 1 mg lorazepam than they stop. I don't know if he s crazy or not well educated. I have terrible symptoms. Don't know if its withdrawal or side effects again from fluvoxamin or my panic disorder. Pls help. I m in islam country where is to get psyhytrist or medicine as u get lottery. My next apoitment is 8 of August. I need to start job 1 August. I cant function. I m afraid to go out of house alone. I don't sleep at all. Pls what to do. Now i m 10 days constantly on 50 mg fluvoxamin and trying with benzo up and down and mixing xanax or diazepam or just 0,5 lorazepam. I m now 5 days without lorazepam but was taking 3 days xanax 0,25 3 times. Or 5 mg diazepam at night. Plsssss help. What to do. I don't know anymore which medicine is working for me I m afraid of everything. Tnx
    Please start your own thread so you can get personalized help and support? Once you get your own thread started I and some others will be by your thread to advise you? God bless us all!

Bobbyboy562 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    Yes, it's possible to have symptoms that quickly from lorazapam, or ativan after only three weeks. There is really nothing you can do to alleviate symptoms. Nothing substitutes for it either. Is there a reason besides the relief from ativan w/d that your doc proscribed the lexapro? Lexapro is an SSRI and used to treat depression. Lexapro, as with other SSRI's take around two weeks to kick in. Benzo drugs such as ativan work on the gabba receptors. Ativan also has a relatively short half-life and the onset of w/d symptoms happen quicker. Dropping too quickly can cause seizures as well as the symptoms you are experiencing. Remember everyone is different and you may be past the seizures, but can't guarantee that. You are dropping too quickly if you are dropping by half.

Fist of all, the drop was too fast. I would usually recommend you only drop by 10%. I would drop by a quarter of a pill every 7-10 days, which will take you awhile to get off of. Or you could try half a pill every 7-10 days. You are dropping way, way too fast at 50%. It does not take long for a short acting benzo for your body to become dependent on these.

So, if you are taking 1.5mg. per day (if that's your "steady dose") Take your .5mg am and pm and drop to .25mg. (half a .5mg. dose) for your middle dose and take your .5 dose.

If you are on 1mg. split in half: take .25 from either your morning or night time dose. Do this for around 7 days then drop another .25mg. Do you see what I'm getting at?

What you can do to help: drink plenty of water, orange juice, stay away from anything processed. Take your usual vitamins. The only supplement that I can think of is L-theanine. There is also something called Serene Theanine that may help with the w/d. Are your symptoms easing up any?

Peace,

Iloerose
    Hello if I only took1 mg once a day for four days will I be sick after stopping had anxiety a few days ago got scared and the doctor gave me twenty but I see people get sick and I am a recovering alcoholic so I don’t want to stay on them but should I just stop might be a dumb question but I got to know