Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hamstercircus
Tapering from Xanax
    laeblas is offline New Member

Default Tapering from Xanax

I started taking Xanax 3 years ago with a prescription for 4mg/day. After 6 months, I realized that I wanted to taper down (tried stopping cold turkey but quickly backed down after 2 days) and have been (very slowly) decreasing my dose. For the last 18 months I have been taking 0.5mg once a day at 6:30pm. I've been researching on this forum and others and am finally ready to begin tapering down to 0.25mg/day. I am also very interested in switching to Valium before I attempt to completely stop. Is it recommended to switch to Valium right away or could tapering down to 0.25 beforehand have an effect on it? What is the equivalent/recommended dosage of Valium and should I take it every 24 hours since I'm used to that window or possibly longer intervals because of longer half life? Are there any Xanax wd at all from switching to Valium as long as it's the proper conversation mg? How long would I have to wait until I could begin weening off the Valium after starting to take it? Has anyone heard of Lumiday for anti-anxiety? How much vitamin b12? How much GABA, and what are the top recommended brands? Are sleep aids, such as advil pm/ aleeve pm effective/safe? Lastly, is it safe to continue my workouts of lifting/running/swimming/biking as I taper down? Thanks in advance to any help with any my questions or advice!

Edit: I don't take any other meds, and do not drink alcohol.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-21-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

.5 mg of xanax is equivalent to 10 mg of valium. The benefit is that valium has a long half life, where xanax has a short one. If you are taking your xanax only once in 24 hours, at 6:30 pm, you might be feeling withdrawal symptoms during the next day. If you are functioning well the next day and not experiencing severe symptoms, then I do not recommend switching to valium. If however you are having problems functioning or are extremely uncomfortable before your 6:30 dose, switching to valium is one option. Another option is to split your .5 mg dose into two .25mg doses and take one at 6:30 am and the other at 6:30 pm.

I would only make the switch to valium if you are so uncomfortable reducing the xanax that you feel you will fail to get off of it, or symptoms are so severe you have trouble with functioning. Remember, you should have some symptoms, but they should remain reasonable and should not stop you from proceeding with a slow taper.

Are there any Xanax wd at all from switching to Valium as long as it's the proper conversation mg?
    If you switch to valium you should be comfortable. Some individuals notice symptoms as different people react differently to different drugs. It is recommended that instead of stopping the xanax and replacing it with valium all at once, you substitute part of the dose for a few days, but this is generally for people on higher daily dosage. But if you would like to try this for a more smooth transition, you could replace .25 mg of xanax with 5 mg of valium for a few days, then go to 10 mg valium after that.

How long would I have to wait until I could begin weening off the Valium after starting to take it?
    You could begin tapering off the valium after 3-4 days of being on it IF you feel stable and relatively symptom free.

Has anyone heard of Lumiday for anti-anxiety? How much vitamin b12? How much GABA, and what are the top recommended brands?
    As for the vitamins and supplements, that is a HUGE subject. It's a good thing to investigate on your own but for general advice you can start with the recommended doses on the bottles. I would stick with basics that can't hurt. A good B complex (including 12) and good quality fish oil capsules. It's better to eat a healthy balanced diet for vitamins and minerals, and whether some supplements like GABA help depends a lot on your individual situation.

I looked up Lumiday; it's a combination of several supplements. I'd prefer you read and learn about the individual ones first. Some of the ingredients in their Mood Support I have concerns about. I don't want to recommend brands but I personally use labs that have good standards, and DO NOT use magnesium stearate in their products. I don't see it listed on Lumiday's bottle so it might actually be a good product. If it were me, I'd try their sleep support product but not the mood support until I researched all the ingredients first.

Are sleep aids, such as advil pm/ aleeve pm effective/safe?
    My feeling is it's best to avoid them, but if you are really not getting any sleep, it's better to take them and get rest but only if you are not someone who has bad hangover fatigue from them the next day. I think herbal sleep aids such as valarian root or tart cherry are much safer. If it were me I'd try your Lumiday Sleep product before I'd take anything with diphenhydramine.

Lastly, is it safe to continue my workouts of lifting/running/swimming/biking as I taper down?
    I think that can only benefit you. Exercise seems to speed healing of the brain's neurotransmitters.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm a little surprised that you do not promote making the switch to Valium because from my limited reserch. My only reason for doing this would be for a smoother withdrawal since I am planning on completely stopping as soon as I can (without rushing it).

Also, if I were to continue tappering to 0.25 per day of xanax, what's the next step? 0.25 every 48 hours? Do you keep extending the time? It's hard to imagine breaking down the 2mg xanax pill anymore than 1/8 of it at a time, without being inaccurate.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I would go to .125 or 1/4 of a .5mg. tablet. There is a guy on featured drugs under Xanax Withdrawal who goes through steps he used to taper xanax: murugappan_rm51 He is not on the forum any more, but you should be able to get some good info there. Can you get a smaller mg. pill?

hamstercircus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    I would go to .125 or 1/4 of a .5mg. tablet. There is a guy on featured drugs under Xanax Withdrawal who goes through steps he used to taper xanax: murugappan_rm51 He is not on the forum any more, but you should be able to get some good info there. Can you get a smaller mg. pill?
    Hi there, this is probably your best course of action. We taper our pregnant patients from 0.25 mg to 0.125 mg before skipping days. We generally keep them at this dose until they verbalize that they are prepared to taper down again. We co-manage our pts with maternal fetal docs that understand addiction/dependence, so actually I should say we generally follow their recommendation when the pt states that they are ready. I read way more than I post now, but if I can help with info let me know. Take care, be good to yourself.
    iloerose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by laeblas View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'm a little surprised that you do not promote making the switch to Valium because from my limited reserch. My only reason for doing this would be for a smoother withdrawal since I am planning on completely stopping as soon as I can (without rushing it).
    I don't promote it or not promote it. It's just not worth it sometimes, by the time you talk to the doctor, figure out the conversion and so on, if you are doing alright tapering on the xanax. But if you aren't, then yes, it might be worth it to switch.

I agree with the others about dosage. If you have the 2mg pills you can't taper. Try to get the .5 mg pills.

hey thanks to everyone for their replies, wanted to update the thread. I switched from 0.5mg of xanax to 0.25 of kpins and feel zero withdrawals. Whats the best step from here as far as continuing to taper? I know that they are equivalent doses but I switched in order to have a smoother tapering experience. Whats the next step from taking 0.25 once a day? do I go 0.25 every 2 days if I feel comfortable? Then what? Thanks in advance.

Klonopin has a longer half life than xanax but not as long as Valium. I would think skipping days would be a bit much. I'd prefer to cut the .25 in two and take .125 every day, rather than .25 every other day. But I have not personally tapered with Klonopin, others may have better suggestions.

Ok so what would be the next eventual step in tapering after doing .125 klonopin per day? At what point do I stop completely etc..

My personal preference is to continue into very low doses. When I tapered, I did not jump off until my doses were in the point zero something ranges. But not everyone needs to get this persnickity about it. Depending on your pills and how small you can cut them, I would attempt to cut them into 1/8 a pill and maybe 1/16 a pill. At that point you can jump off and see how you feel. If you feel very bad the first day or two you don't take any, you might consider going to liquid titration. This means crushing up a pill and mixing it with water (or milk, liquid titration is a big subject all it's own. There are good websites that give instructions how to do this.) Liquid titration is how you get into doses of .0625 and below. This sounds like a ridiculously tiny amount but if you remember that Klonopin 1 mg is equivalent to 20 mg valium, that means .0625 mg of klonopin is like 1.25 mg of valium which is a very decent number to jump from.

pmaltby3486 is offline New Member

[deleted - breaching forum rules]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-13-2015 at 02:24 AM.

hey guys, I'd like to update my status. I've been on .125 kpins for a few weeks. What should be my recommended next step for tappering down? Thanks for the support and help in advance.

quagmir is offline New Member

Half it again. Should be the last time until you jump off benzos for good.

This is a great story as j am on 4mg a day of xanax and i honestly don't know how you did it. I really wish you would post your taper plan. Like 3.75mg for 2 weeks then 3.5 and so on.

RedMiles is offline New Member

My doctor sent me to a psychiatrist for general anxiety. We have tried some low dose anti-depressants but I did not like the way I felt. Somehow, we ended up with 1.5 mg of Xanax at bedtime. It's been over a year. I do not like the way I feel in the morning before I get going. Hangover is too strong a word but I just do not like it. My regular doctor doesn't like the Xanax regimen either. So as to tapering off I am writing to see what anyone that has done it would recommend. I have 1mg pills. Easy to break into .5mg but harder to go smaller. The bigger question is where to start and when to finish? I would appreciate any help. I am not sure how I got to Xanax at bedtime as I have no trouble falling asleep. It's the feeling in the am and the fear of not having them while traveling that bothers me. Sorry for the long post. Any experience with this dosage and weaning time would be much appreciated. Xanax seems like a much better drug to have when you feel panic coming rather than a daily dose drug.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedMiles View Post
    My doctor sent me to a psychiatrist for general anxiety. We have tried some low dose anti-depressants but I did not like the way I felt. Somehow, we ended up with 1.5 mg of Xanax at bedtime. It's been over a year. I do not like the way I feel in the morning before I get going. Hangover is too strong a word but I just do not like it. My regular doctor doesn't like the Xanax regimen either. So as to tapering off I am writing to see what anyone that has done it would recommend. I have 1mg pills. Easy to break into .5mg but harder to go smaller. The bigger question is where to start and when to finish? I would appreciate any help. I am not sure how I got to Xanax at bedtime as I have no trouble falling asleep. It's the feeling in the am and the fear of not having them while traveling that bothers me. Sorry for the long post. Any experience with this dosage and weaning time would be much appreciated. Xanax seems like a much better drug to have when you feel panic coming rather than a daily dose drug.
    I left the following reply for a few different members, the same will apply for you as well -

When getting off of benzos slow and steady wins the race!

Taper your xanax by 5-10% every 7-10 days. You can achieve the reductions by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method?

You'll want to taper slow enough to avoid or at least minimize any withdrawal symptoms. You can adjust the taper faster or slower depending on how you feel? I hope this helps? Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

PS
    I recommend that you research "natural anxiety remedies" and also read the following book -
    Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh. You can check out the reviews of the book on Amazon?

RedMiles is offline New Member

Thanks! My psychiatrist thinks the benefits outweigh the minor morning problems but my PCP thinks it is a drug to say goodbye to. So do I.