Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ARTIST658
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
Tired of being on Xanax
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    129

    Default Tired of being on Xanax

    So I go to my doctor today and get more Xanax. 2mg Xanax 2x day is what I have been on for awhile now. They do help with severe anxiety and panic, but the short acting nature of the drug is something I do not like. I don't abuse these, only take my recommended dose, but when I ask to be switched to a longer acting (and in my opinion safer) long term benzo like Valium or Klonopin it is shot down. Some doctors have this fairy tale belief that the long acting benzos are more addicting when in reality it is the short acting benzos in my opinion. I would rather take a strong dose of Klonpin once a day and get round the clock relief than have to take multiple doses of a very short acting drug. Just frustrating. I am thinking about switching doctors. Has anyone else had this problem with Xanax or a related benzo? Different doctors have different beliefs on the benzos. but longer acting benzos. are less addicting and that is all I have to say. There is some kind of stereotype on Valium esp. (I guess cuz everyone were on these, esp. in the 70' s during its hayday), but I think Valium is an excellent benzo. with multiple medical uses. Just frustrated and venting a bit I guess. I have enough Xanax to keep me sane, and again I don't abuse them, but long term goal is to get off these. Switching to a longer acting benzo is much easier and better I think. Xanax taper is harsh and u do get side effects even with a decent taper, it is the nature of that drug, although I am not totally trashing it. It does have adequate medical use, but I just think for me, at this point, a longer acting benzo. would be better.

  2. #2
    Normankay is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I think that you should keep the doctor. I wouldn't switch just because you can't get different benzos as far as I remember, don't quote me. I think that valium and xanax have the same half life and Klonopin has the longer half life. I have taken all three of them too, but doctors know that anxiety has underlying issues and is usually caused by stress or some form of trauma from your previous history and the only way to truely deal with the anxiety is to face the fears that you have from your past. My doctor gave me xanax for anger, I came in detoxing off of >>>>>> and wouldn't give me more than 3 days of Suboxone at a time and I was ready to beat a script out of him, long story. However he/she probably just doesnt want to start the cycle of detoxing off xanax if things happen to get out of control. 4mgs is kind of a lot of xanax and pretty much makes people not affraid of anything and talk non stop about all kinds of things, that was my experience.

    When I would start to detox I would shake right when I was falling asleep and it would stir me out of my sleep and made me affraid to fall back asleep. I was only on 1-2mgs of xanax. The withdrawals can kill you once you decide you want to quit if that ever becomes an issue.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2011 at 02:20 AM.

  3. #3
    freedom11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    905

    Default Xanac

    Quote Originally Posted by Normankay View Post
    I think that you should keep the doctor. I wouldn't switch just because you can't get different benzos as far as I remember, don't quote me.
    Xanac is banned in the UK which tells me there is something pretty wrong with them. Anyway, as Normankay was alluding to (I think) pills do not solve the problem of anxiety/stress/depression/panic attacks, they just mask the symptons. Has your doctor suggested counselling at all? No doctor would give valium out for daily use any more, not here anyway or sleeping pills. They're prescribed for short term emergencies only eg just after an trauma/bereavement. eg five days. I've had all of these symptons (anxiety, stress etc) over the last two yearsbeing on and off >>>>>> and at other clean times in my life and emotional support and finding strategies to help myself are what helps, including working through the original traumas that led to/contributed to the symptons/patterns. I am not out of the woods by any means. Just wanted to share my experience if it's any help and also ask you please not to try and up your dose. Love Jay xx

  4. #4
    Al Prazolam is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Heya

    If I can be of any advice. In my own experience... If I was you I would try to get of the xanax right now, with the help of a doctor. I'm on xanax every day. I take the 2mg's but I take at least 5 a day, when I have a bad day I take 10-15 of them. That makes 20-30mg a day. I wish I could turn back time to where it still had a good effect on me. It still has its good effect but I'm way to addicted and it's becoming a huge problem. My doc even says there is a high risk one day I will not wake up anymore. I also take Lormetazepam (2mg) to sleep, but when they don't do their job, I take one or two xanax on them (2-4mg).

    My advice is, quit now while you can. Yes I know there is also still hope for me but I'm ignoring that because I'm way too far in this.

    Sorry for my bad english.

    grz and good luck

  5. #5
    dangxanax is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I take 1mg of alprazolam 3 times a day. Never thought of myself as an addict, but I am starting to think maybe I am. My opinion is get off ANY of these benzo's if at all possible. I've been taking this for over 7 years, but not always at this dose. In fact, I am trying (again) to get off. My latest prescription is reducing me to 2 times a day. I'll probably just drink more. Just started seeing a therapist, and this is the 1st time I try this so maybe this will work this time.
    I'm 54 now and I cannot imagine being on this stuff at 60!
    Also I would like to travel more when I retire and I don't feel good about doing that and dependent on this ????.
    I wish this stuff had never been created.

  6. #6
    susiewallace is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    xanax is one of the only drugs that's withdrawals include coma and death. pretty scary. I got hooked on xanax years ago, but luckily I was only taking 1/4 of the bar once in the evening. I started noticing that when my anxiety prior to taking my meds was 100x that of what it was before i was ever prescribed xanax. Next thing you know, I'm taking an afternoon dose because the anxiety is too strong to wait for the evening dose. I wound up tapering down and quitting cold turkey. Even though I was taking a very low dosage, I experienced severe withdrawals including tremors, panic attacks, mood swings and did not sleep any at all for 3 days in a row. I'm glad I quit and couldn't imagine what life would be like if I would have stayed on them. I probably would not be here. I would at least taper down first and also try to get a 3 night supply of Soma or a prescription sleep aid. Good luck!

  7. #7
    ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    So I go to my doctor today and get more Xanax. 2mg Xanax 2x day is what I have been on for awhile now. They do help with severe anxiety and panic, but the short acting nature of the drug is something I do not like. I don't abuse these, only take my recommended dose, but when I ask to be switched to a longer acting (and in my opinion safer) long term benzo like Valium or Klonopin it is shot down. Some doctors have this fairy tale belief that the long acting benzos are more addicting when in reality it is the short acting benzos in my opinion. I would rather take a strong dose of Klonpin once a day and get round the clock relief than have to take multiple doses of a very short acting drug. Just frustrating. I am thinking about switching doctors. Has anyone else had this problem with Xanax or a related benzo? Different doctors have different beliefs on the benzos. but longer acting benzos. are less addicting and that is all I have to say. There is some kind of stereotype on Valium esp. (I guess cuz everyone were on these, esp. in the 70' s during its hayday), but I think Valium is an excellent benzo. with multiple medical uses. Just frustrated and venting a bit I guess. I have enough Xanax to keep me sane, and again I don't abuse them, but long term goal is to get off these. Switching to a longer acting benzo is much easier and better I think. Xanax taper is harsh and u do get side effects even with a decent taper, it is the nature of that drug, although I am not totally trashing it. It does have adequate medical use, but I just think for me, at this point, a longer acting benzo. would be better.
    Primetimegrape,

    I think you got a number of answers, just not what you wanted to hear. But I do believe it is what you needed to hear.

    Benzo drugs are a nightmare, plain and simple. They were intended ONLY for short term use, and yet many folks have been left on them for years on end. As Jay said, it's meant for a very immediate crisis of anxiety, not to deal with everyday life. Xanax (or any benzo) is only a band-aid, and fixes nothing. It simply hides the underlying problem.

    Anxiety is a symptom of an underlying issue. The way to deal with the anxiety is to confront the issue - not simply to mask the anxiety.

    I see the results of this long-term benzo use all the time in my work; I can't begin to count how many women come into treatment on benzos, legally prescribed by an MD. It's looked at like a magic panacea by many doctors; it's an easy way to stop the symptoms - and move the patient out the door. But long term, these drugs create more problems than they resolve.

    This is a very informative site about benzodiazepene medications that I suggest you check out: http://www.benzo.org.uk/

    Benzodiazepene addiction is generally a tougher addiction to break than opiate addiction. You do not want to stay on these drugs any longer than you have to. Also, this is one situation that you need to be your own best advocate. You can not simply trust that a doctor will not put you at risk, as it happens all too often with these drugs. It is entirely possible to become dependant or addicted while following the precise directions on the prescription. I see it all the time. And, on top of that, I lived it. I never abused the drug, but I was certainly left with a nightmare to overcome when I decided to stop it.

    I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to post their experiences with these drugs. I regret that you haven't been thanked already, but that often occurs on these boards - especially if the original poster doesn't like what others have had to say.

    God bless,
    Ruth
    dangxanax and KarenTN like this.

    You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

  8. #8
    Miss Misery is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lake In The Hills Illinois
    Posts
    2

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Prazolam View Post
    Heya

    If I can be of any advice. In my own experience... If I was you I would try to get of the xanax right now, with the help of a doctor. I'm on xanax every day. I take the 2mg's but I take at least 5 a day, when I have a bad day I take 10-15 of them. That makes 20-30mg a day. I wish I could turn back time to where it still had a good effect on me. It still has its good effect but I'm way to addicted and it's becoming a huge problem. My doc even says there is a high risk one day I will not wake up anymore. I also take Lormetazepam (2mg) to sleep, but when they don't do their job, I take one or two xanax on them (2-4mg).

    My advice is, quit now while you can. Yes I know there is also still hope for me but I'm ignoring that because I'm way too far in this.

    Sorry for my bad english.



    grz and good luck
    I take 11 to 12 mg a day. That is I take around 3mg every 6 hours. I'm addicted, because when I saw my doctor the other day and he mentioned reducing it, I freaked out! I have been on Xanax for 15 years, and I just kept needing more and more. I've decided to try and quit, with a slow taper, program, because I really don't think it's helping me anymore. I've been ignoring too, because I thought I was the only one out there.

  9. #9
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    I also had asked my Dr if he would switch me to either Valium or Klonopin and got a flat no what i did get was an increase in my dosage. Now he put me up to 5 mg per day as needed @ 1mg. A year ago the insurance co would not let me go to 3mg when i asked. When I went to see this Doctor out of re hab 4 yrs ago I wasnt on Bennzo's I had just come out of rehab for them ! Somehow he got confused and assumed my problem was oxi which it wasnt and the insurance company who had just paid for rehab allowed me to go on xanex again at some point. I dont remember all the details but here i am 4 years later taking about 2 mg per day . I have noticed there effectiveness has def decreased however but if i take any more then 1.5 -2 mg at one time i am asleep regardless of the time of day.And I still have my anxiety disorder the zanex is just a evil band aid. My sister In law in on klonopin and switched years ago and she told me A ..get a new doctor and B... try to get the Klonopin which will stay in my system longer. I just suffered a heart attack and had triple by pass last month Im 57and im out on disabilty i wish i could afford to just pack it in and head to a real re hab and stay until i was off Everything ( well butrin depekote sub etc) and be really CLEAN. My Phchytrist told me as I get older the Brains requirement for all these chemicals will diminish and WD should not be as harsh or i wont need as much Have any of you heard this ?

  10. #10
    ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Carmen,

    This post is really inappropriate and I hope the DDC moderator will be removing it shortly. This is NOT the place to buy someone else's drugs. What you're suggesting is completely illegal.

    And to those who are seeking advice on this topic, I strongly suggest you seek out advice from a professional in the field - or, at the very least, someone who is CLEAN from these benzos. Common sense will tell you that it's only hypothetical for anyone to offer advice about benzos if they are taking them, themselves.

    God bless,
    Ruth
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Robert_325 likes this.

    You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

  11. #11
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    I also had asked my Dr if he would switch me to either Valium or Klonopin and got a flat no what i did get was an increase in my dosage. Now he put me up to 5 mg per day as needed @ 1mg. A year ago the insurance co would not let me go to 3mg when i asked. When I went to see this Doctor out of re hab 4 yrs ago I wasnt on Bennzo's I had just come out of rehab for them ! Somehow he got confused and assumed my problem was oxi which it wasnt and the insurance company who had just paid for rehab allowed me to go on xanex again at some point. I dont remember all the details but here i am 4 years later taking about 2 mg per day . I have noticed there effectiveness has def decreased however but if i take any more then 1.5 -2 mg at one time i am asleep regardless of the time of day.And I still have my anxiety disorder the zanex is just a evil band aid. My sister In law in on klonopin and switched years ago and she told me A ..get a new doctor and B... try to get the Klonopin which will stay in my system longer. I just suffered a heart attack and had triple by pass last month Im 57and im out on disabilty i wish i could afford to just pack it in and head to a real re hab and stay until i was off Everything ( well butrin depekote sub etc) and be really CLEAN. My Phchytrist told me as I get older the Brains requirement for all these chemicals will diminish and WD should not be as harsh or i wont need as much Have any of you heard this ?


    Xanax has the shortest half life of all benzos. It's only about six hours max, it's only for panic attacks. So it's in and out of your system quickly putting you into w/d.

    Your dr said that as you get older you won't have w/d? That is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard a dr say! That is total garbage for advice.

    And there are rehabs even for people without insurance if you're truly unable to pay if you live near or in any decent sized city. I will help you if you want me to. God bless.

  12. #12
    ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    I also had asked my Dr if he would switch me to either Valium or Klonopin and got a flat no what i did get was an increase in my dosage. Now he put me up to 5 mg per day as needed @ 1mg. A year ago the insurance co would not let me go to 3mg when i asked. When I went to see this Doctor out of re hab 4 yrs ago I wasnt on Bennzo's I had just come out of rehab for them ! Somehow he got confused and assumed my problem was oxi which it wasnt and the insurance company who had just paid for rehab allowed me to go on xanex again at some point. I dont remember all the details but here i am 4 years later taking about 2 mg per day . I have noticed there effectiveness has def decreased however but if i take any more then 1.5 -2 mg at one time i am asleep regardless of the time of day.And I still have my anxiety disorder the zanex is just a evil band aid. My sister In law in on klonopin and switched years ago and she told me A ..get a new doctor and B... try to get the Klonopin which will stay in my system longer. I just suffered a heart attack and had triple by pass last month Im 57and im out on disabilty i wish i could afford to just pack it in and head to a real re hab and stay until i was off Everything ( well butrin depekote sub etc) and be really CLEAN. My Phchytrist told me as I get older the Brains requirement for all these chemicals will diminish and WD should not be as harsh or i wont need as much Have any of you heard this ?

    Dear Quicksand,

    I swear to God there's a special place in Hades for those doctors who take a person right out of treatment and put them ON a benzodiapene drug! It makes me more than a little bit crazy when I hear of this - and sadly, it happens all too often.

    Additionally, he's way out of line with that interpretation about age and benzo use. As we age, we have less of a tolerance to these drugs - we do NOT have less of a withdrawal from them. I have no idea where that concept came from. One serious danger with that lessening of tolerance with age is - we don't know when that will happen. So one day, the dose you're taking that is "ok" today will be too much.

    As I mentioned on my earlier post on this thread, I work in the field of substance abuse, and often deal with clients who have taken benzo drugs for years on end. These drugs are NOT intended for long term use. I see it from a substance abuse stance - and all I see is how horrifically dangerous this practice is. Your doctor is certainly not seeing it from the same perception that I am. I can not believe that he is simply adopting the philosophy that you will basically "out-grow" your need for it. That just isn't what research has shown.

    Your body has become dependent upon this drug now, and your tolerance has increased - that is why you need more of it to gain the same effect. This will continue to occur, the longer you stay on this drug.

    Changing benzos is not going to solve the problem. The nature of the benzodiazepene drug is the problem. It is highly addictive, and almost guaranteed to produce a tolerance and dependence in a short time. Doctors seem to hand these things out like candy, as it certainly keeps the patient from bothering him/her much any more. It's basically "numbing out" their patients.

    You need to seek out a rehab/treatment facility to help you off the benzos - or any other addictive drug you're on. Can you do this while you're out on disability?

    God bless,
    Ruth

    You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

  13. #13
    ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Xanax has the shortest half life of all benzos. It's only about six hours max, it's only for panic attacks. So it's in and out of your system quickly putting you into w/d.

    Your dr said that as you get older you won't have w/d? That is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard a dr say! That is total garbage for advice.

    And there are rehabs even for people without insurance if you're truly unable to pay if you live near or in any decent sized city. I will help you if you want me to. God bless.
    Ahhh... great minds think alike - I didn't realize you'd posted while I was writing my response!! Thanks Robert... glad we're on the same page with this... Ruth
    Robert_325 likes this.

    You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

  14. #14
    bilmo2008 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    14

    Default please do not be offended, this only an opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    So I go to my doctor today and get more Xanax. 2mg Xanax 2x day is what I have been on for awhile now. They do help with severe anxiety and panic, but the short acting nature of the drug is something I do not like. I don't abuse these, only take my recommended dose, but when I ask to be switched to a longer acting (and in my opinion safer) long term benzo like Valium or Klonopin it is shot down. Some doctors have this fairy tale belief that the long acting benzos are more addicting when in reality it is the short acting benzos in my opinion. I would rather take a strong dose of Klonpin once a day and get round the clock relief than have to take multiple doses of a very short acting drug. Just frustrating. I am thinking about switching doctors. Has anyone else had this problem with Xanax or a related benzo? Different doctors have different beliefs on the benzos. but longer acting benzos. are less addicting and that is all I have to say. There is some kind of stereotype on Valium esp. (I guess cuz everyone were on these, esp. in the 70' s during its hayday), but I think Valium is an excellent benzo. with multiple medical uses. Just frustrated and venting a bit I guess. I have enough Xanax to keep me sane, and again I don't abuse them, but long term goal is to get off these. Switching to a longer acting benzo is much easier and better I think. Xanax taper is harsh and u do get side effects even with a decent taper, it is the nature of that drug, although I am not totally trashing it. It does have adequate medical use, but I just think for me, at this point, a longer acting benzo. would be better.
    I strongly disagree with the concept of using long acting anything be it benzos, allergy stuff, whatever. not every person has the same metabolism. none of it has ever phased me in the slightest. not even so called 12 hour sudofed. it just doesn't work. as an aside, I wish you and I could trade quacks
    mine thinks along your lines, and yours is on the same page as I am.
    life is an ironic mess. Thank God there was Kurt Vonnegut for a few short years.'fraid I missed out on Mark Twain. good thing books had been invented!

Similar Threads

  1. Tired of feeling tired
    By Carguy4287 in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22