Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NerudaIsHot
Wanting to learn how to advocate for myself and others taking benzos.
    NerudaIsHot is offline New Member

Default Wanting to learn how to advocate for myself and others taking benzos.

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum. Please, forgive my grammar. I am bilingual and can read/write in the Thai alphabet but I am terrible with grammar. Anyway, I was reading this thread and became very upset and p*ssed off.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/benzodia...tml#post513413

I also had an emergency room visit recently where I was lied to and dismissed by a physicians assistant when I came for help with benzo withdrawal.

Now let me say this, I have been on benzos for many years. When I first became severely psychologically distressed (tortured is the better word) after a sexual assault with a history of child abuse my first line of defense and seeking help was not psychiatry at all. I looked to my family, and friends and was treated horribly. Unable to bear the pain - I finally went to a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I was prescribed benzodiazepines immediately. Now, obviously the doctor didn't give any forewarning about the dangers of addiction and withdrawal but honestly - I didn't have the luxury of thinking about that too much. I needed immediate relief.

I am just really tired of the whole paradigm surrounding the use/abuse of controlled substances - the default attitude and treatment of those needing help being victim blaming, shaming, pointing fingers at patients.

This problem is big and it is not simply the patients problems. The doctors and medical establishment are equally incriminated. We should all be in this together and yet power struggles and abuses are the go to answer.

My question is this - Are there any mental health and consumer of prescription drug advocacy groups that I can talk to - learn to work with? I once saw an "advocate" in a mental hospital emergency room who was like a hostess for the hospital and not an advocate. I am absolutely done with this bull>>>> and I would love any feedback or tips on who I can begin to talk with to become a real advocate.

I want to educate myself on this situation, speak to doctors and nurses. If you look back at the thread that I posted - the woman who posted it was put through a traumatizing ordeal that was completely preventable. if she would have given specifics in the thread about her psychiatrist and hospital - I would already be on the phone with them.

I will not be reading or responding to any haters or people who want to bash drug consumers or even addicts.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by NerudaIsHot View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum. Please, forgive my grammar. I am bilingual and can read/write in the Thai alphabet but I am terrible with grammar. Anyway, I was reading this thread and became very upset and p*ssed off.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/benzodia...tml#post513413

I also had an emergency room visit recently where I was lied to and dismissed by a physicians assistant when I came for help with benzo withdrawal.

Now let me say this, I have been on benzos for many years. When I first became severely psychologically distressed (tortured is the better word) after a sexual assault with a history of child abuse my first line of defense and seeking help was not psychiatry at all. I looked to my family, and friends and was treated horribly. Unable to bear the pain - I finally went to a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I was prescribed benzodiazepines immediately. Now, obviously the doctor didn't give any forewarning about the dangers of addiction and withdrawal but honestly - I didn't have the luxury of thinking about that too much. I needed immediate relief.

I am just really tired of the whole paradigm surrounding the use/abuse of controlled substances - the default attitude and treatment of those needing help being victim blaming, shaming, pointing fingers at patients.

This problem is big and it is not simply the patients problems. The doctors and medical establishment are equally incriminated. We should all be in this together and yet power struggles and abuses are the go to answer.

My question is this - Are there any mental health and consumer of prescription drug advocacy groups that I can talk to - learn to work with? I once saw an "advocate" in a mental hospital emergency room who was like a hostess for the hospital and not an advocate. I am absolutely done with this bull>>>> and I would love any feedback or tips on who I can begin to talk with to become a real advocate.

I want to educate myself on this situation, speak to doctors and nurses. If you look back at the thread that I posted - the woman who posted it was put through a traumatizing ordeal that was completely preventable. if she would have given specifics in the thread about her psychiatrist and hospital - I would already be on the phone with them.

I will not be reading or responding to any haters or people who want to bash drug consumers or even addicts.
    Welcome!

I don't see anything wrong with your grammar at all!

You won't find haters here. Most of us are recovering addicts so we've all been there and done that. I think that it's very noble of you to want to become involved in helping people by advocating for them. We've come a long way in beginning to remove the stigma of addiction but we have a very long way to go still. Society at least is beginning to understand that even good people can become addicts. I agree, however, that even though the medical community should be light years ahead in understanding this, they are often jaded and treat addicts like they are a level or two below everyone else. It is a shame.

I don't know where you live, but we have a group in the small Town where I live that began as a group of parents who were struggling with addicted children (children used loosely, most are adults). They began to meet to support one another over coffee and the group has evolved into so much more! Recently they found and fully furnished a sober living house the expenses for which are largely subsidized by monetary donations from our community and the entire house was furnished (furniture, bedding, kitchen items, etc) with donated items. There is no formal staffing but instead, this group manages the admittance of individuals who are in need of a sober living situation. They have reached out and found a couple of nurses, a medical doctor, and a psychiatrist who donates their time for drug testing and to moderate in-house meetings, as well as to screen prospective residents. Between these unpaid professionals and the folks who are a part of this group, they gladly advocate for the residents who live there. The house is otherwise run much like any other licensed sober living house. The residents are given a certain amount of time to find a job so that they can pay rent and pay for their own food. The chores are divided among them. Our community has opened their hearts and wallets. The best way to remove this stigma is to become involved.

Anyway, you sound like you might want to get involved in some capacity and something like this definitely needs heroes. You can be one of the heroes. Start by reaching out and talking to people perhaps at a meeting and I'm just going to bet that your enthusiasm will be contagious. Addicts love to help other addicts.

I hope that you're motivated to dive in and begin something productive and good. Keep posting and let us know if you do follow through with something like this. Others might become inspired as well.

Peace,

Cat