Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
Withdrawal from Xanax after only 2 or 3 weeks?
    dw1882 is offline New Member

Default Withdrawal from Xanax after only 2 or 3 weeks?

I went to the doctor for the first time on 23 January, 2015 about generalized anxiety I had been having. He told me he couldn't prescribe me medicine for this long term, but gave me a bottle of 45 .25mg IR tablets with 1 refill to take x3 daily until I could get into a different doctor, like a psychiatrist. Finished the first bottle all okay, everything was fine and they were doing as they were supposed to. I got the refill and made it about 3 or 4 days in before I began feeling sad, empty, and having suicidal thoughts, although they were just thoughts I would never act upon with real intent, they scared me and led me to trying to stop 'cold turkey', which was yesterday, but by today I felt jittery, weak, and had a very dry mouth. The thoughts really scared me and would leave me freaked out for hours.

After doing research on withdrawals from this, I saw it a bad choice to continue with the 'cold turkey' ideal on my own accord and took half of a .25 tablet, or .0125 of Xanax. My doctor isn't open on the weekends, so I have to wait until tomorrow so I can reschedule my next appointment (25 Feb) to the nearest day physically possible, hopefully tomorrow.

My overall question, are these textbook withdrawals I'm feeling? Since I've only been taking them for roughly 18 days, should I taper it down to taking .0125 for now, which did help tremendously when I took it, continue as prescribed, or tough it out with the 'cold turkey'? (The depressed feelings I had from the x 3 daily was insane, I'm a very upbeat and happy person, and I just felt like a drag. I didn't enjoy being around friends, and all the awful sides that accompany those types of feelings. I consistently felt like I wanted to cry, but physically couldn't if I tried.) After experiencing this, and reading what I've read, if I can get past this, I'm never going near this drug again.

Can anyone offer help? Advice on what to do, alternatives, anything?

Thanks.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Yep, Xanax is a nasty drug. It's good that you're getting this under control before it has a chance to get worse. Two to three weeks isn't long at all, but benzo dependency happens quickly with those types of drugs.

The best thing to do is ask your doctor to help you taper off. It shouldn't take long since you've been taking it for a very short period of time. For safety's sake, don't quit cold turkey. Take the .125mg until you see your doctor.

Best of luck,
    Kat
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

Just thought I'd post an update. I went to the doctor and explained the situation.

He's put me on .50mg Klonopin for one full week and says at the end of the week when I go off the Klonopin I should experience no side effects of withdrawal, from the Xanax or K-pin. I'm praying that's true, because this short experience with Xanax has been quite possibly the worst of my life with prescription drugs. I've never gotten to the point of being physically dependent on any drug before, even if I was only on it for a few weeks, I can get an idea of what it's like for people who have been on it for years. My heart truly goes out to those people.

I'll post another update at the end of the one week, next Tuesday, and let you all know how it's going.

Thanks.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Klonopin has a longer half life. His thinking is that you will stabilize for one week and then it will gradually dissipate from your system. I hope it goes well for you, and I think it's a good idea to stick to his plan, although you might still feel some weird effects. You obviously did not have a good reaction to the benzo and it's probably best not to prolong being on any type of benzo. Another thought about your situation if you are in the northern hemisphere is seasonal affective disorder. The winter blues, depression, anxiety. It's possible that is affecting you as well as the drug because it's this particular time of year. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Klonopin has a longer half life. His thinking is that you will stabilize for one week and then it will gradually dissipate from your system. I hope it goes well for you, and I think it's a good idea to stick to his plan, although you might still feel some weird effects. You obviously did not have a good reaction to the benzo and it's probably best not to prolong being on any type of benzo. Another thought about your situation if you are in the northern hemisphere is seasonal affective disorder. The winter blues, depression, anxiety. It's possible that is affecting you as well as the drug because it's this particular time of year. What do you think?
    Weird effects? Like what? Nothing like the withdrawal symptoms though right? I can deal with tingling in my hands and small things like that for a while.

Maybe, I live in the Southern US. However, it has been extremely cold and overcast/rainy lately, maybe this could've led to some of the original symptoms like the anxiety and even the depression that led me to want to stop Xanax. The Panic Attacks are what originally got me worried as they began a year or two ago, and although they don't happen often, maybe that led to the anxiety. Thinking about the stuff like that constantly.

Finished the one week of Clonazepam (Klonopin) on Monday. Ever since I've felt a bit light headed, and pretty nervous. Dry mouth. Definitely not the 'no side effects' the doctor said...

Is this a normal reaction from the body when quitting benzos as a whole? Not just one specific form; or is it still the withdrawals from the Xanax? I'm confused here...If it is just my body readjusting to not being on benzos, how much longer should this last? Monday night was the last time I took the Klonopin.

I also went back to my original doctor for the one month check up deal, and although I told him I wanted off benzos completely, he said I should continue with the Klonopin until I'm able to get into a psychiatrist, so he gave me a bottle of 75 - 0.50mg Klonopins. I haven't began taking any of that because I would like to get away from this drug class as a whole and never look back. Find other ways to deal with the anxiety. I feel awful though, but I REALLY do not want to take any of the Klonopin...Asking the same question I did earlier...How much longer should this last? I know the anxiety that was there before will still be there, but it shouldn't be this bad accompanied by dry mouth. I went to Wal Mart earlier and started panicking because I didn't have a drink on hand to alleviate the dry mouth and felt like I could faint...That didn't happen before.

AllNerves is offline Member

Hi dw,
    I've gone through benzo WD before. You symptoms are completely normal for the medicine leaving your system. I would stop taking all of them now. You might feel a bit "icky" for a few days, 3-4 at most and it'll be gone. Staying on them any longer is just going to make it worse. Believe me you are on a very low dose and for a very short period of time, you will be fine. If you get some good cardio exercise you probably won't notice anything at all. I guarantee it will make you feel normal in no time. Take care!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-07-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Momof6dogs is offline New Member

I am going through that right now. Please tell me how it all turned out for you.

Haileybb is offline New Member

I know this is old but I have been on xanex for 2 months and it's now making me sick I started off on 1mg cut into 4s and now I'm taking 2 my a day how does stop. My doctor told me to stay on them but I don't want to.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haileybb View Post
    I know this is old but I have been on xanex for 2 months and it's now making me sick I started off on 1mg cut into 4s and now I'm taking 2 my a day how does stop. My doctor told me to stay on them but I don't want to.
    Hailey - please start your own thread so you can get personalized help and support. I'll be on the look out for your new thread?

Psilo65 is offline New Member

I am on a similar boat. I have been taking xanax for 18 of the last 25 days. Breaks in between of 1, 2 and 3 days. I didn't expect much in the form of withdrawal, but as i get into my second day i get an intense tightening in my stomach. I am a recovering opiate addict and am prescribed gabapentin for anxiety but made the HUGE mistake of using xanax for this duration. I experience my anxiety in my stomach so while i didn't use for a long time (varying doses of .5-1mg) this one symptom is completely debilitating for me. I don't know what to do. Should i have tapered?? I didn't take any yesterday, but this morning i woke up with severe tightening in my gut and nausea. I have a very sensitive stomach. I don't know what to do. Any advice?