Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
Xanax help and questions
    jackclif is offline New Member

Default Xanax help and questions

Firstly let me say thank you guys so much for helping me out. To give you the rundown I'm a 21yo male who's had prior experience with benzos. I have panic and anxiety disorders and my psychiatrist got me on klonopin a while back. Since I have an addictive personality I quickly became addicted which took up 8 months of my life and ended with the worst hell of a withdrawal that I hope to never encounter again. Lately Ive been having panic issues and started taking Xanax irregularly ( I'm really trying to do it responsibly so I need advice ). In March I took 1mg. waited a week. took another 1mg, waited another week then took back to back days of 1mg then 2mg. Waited a full week again and on April 16th: 1mg, 17th:1mg, 18th: 3mg. I know it seems like a lot and it is but Ive been having serious panic issues of late. I then waited one more full week and took another 2mg. My questions are:

1. Should I be worried about any kind of withdrawal symptoms after this spaced out usage of about a month?

2. Can Xanax be taken irregularly (once every 1 - 2 weeks) without getting addicted? am i okay to take 2mg twice a month?

Any other or extra advice pertaining to my situation would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ive been through (minor) addiction and withdrawal before and I never want to encounter this again. I just want to know if I can responsibly take it for my panic attacks and still not get addicted or need tapering. I want to be happy healthy and not drug addicted!

(ps. Ive talked to my doctor, this is prescribed, and he hasn't been much help regarding these specific questions)

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackclif View Post
    Firstly let me say thank you guys so much for helping me out. To give you the rundown I'm a 21yo male who's had prior experience with benzos. I have panic and anxiety disorders and my psychiatrist got me on klonopin a while back. Since I have an addictive personality I quickly became addicted which took up 8 months of my life and ended with the worst hell of a withdrawal that I hope to never encounter again. Lately Ive been having panic issues and started taking Xanax irregularly ( I'm really trying to do it responsibly so I need advice ). In March I took 1mg. waited a week. took another 1mg, waited another week then took back to back days of 1mg then 2mg. Waited a full week again and on April 16th: 1mg, 17th:1mg, 18th: 3mg. I know it seems like a lot and it is but Ive been having serious panic issues of late. I then waited one more full week and took another 2mg. My questions are:

1. Should I be worried about any kind of withdrawal symptoms after this spaced out usage of about a month?

2. Can Xanax be taken irregularly (once every 1 - 2 weeks) without getting addicted? am i okay to take 2mg twice a month?

Any other or extra advice pertaining to my situation would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ive been through (minor) addiction and withdrawal before and I never want to encounter this again. I just want to know if I can responsibly take it for my panic attacks and still not get addicted or need tapering. I want to be happy healthy and not drug addicted!

(ps. Ive talked to my doctor, this is prescribed, and he hasn't been much help regarding these specific questions)

Hello jack, welcome to the forum. First off let me start by saying that you need to be careful with the benzos (as you already know), especially xanax! Xanax as far as I'm concerned is the nastiest benzo of them all, you already stated that you had issues with klonopin addiction. Klonopin has a long half-life something like 20-40 hours, xanax half-life is around 6-12 hours? That being said, in a sense xanax is stronger meaning it hits you much faster and harder but doesn't last as long as say klonopin. If you could indeed keep your usage down to only a couple times a month then in my personal opinion you would not have an issue with addiction and/or dependence? I would also recommend if you have to use the xanax for panic attacks to start with just a .5mg dose, wait 30 minutes or so to see how you feel (I think I've read sonewhere before that most panic attacks only last a few minutes and rarely longer than an half hour)? If after waiting the 30 minutes you still don't have the relief you need then you could take another .5mg and again wait to see if that does the trick? Also, I don't think you would have any withdrawal symptoms from such infrequent use? Lastly and this is the obvious, this can get out of hand very fast! If you have to take the xanax from time to time be extremely careful and take the minimum amount to provide relief, you do not want a xanax addiction! I wish you well! Take care... God bless us all!
    jackclif likes this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    I would also recommend if you have to use the xanax for panic attacks to start with just a .5mg dose, wait 30 minutes or so to see how you feel (I think I've read sonewhere before that most panic attacks only last a few minutes and rarely longer than an half hour)? If after waiting the 30 minutes you still don't have the relief you need then you could take another .5mg and again wait to see if that does the trick?
    This is EXACTLY what I would suggest.

Lastly and this is the obvious, this can get out of hand very fast! If you have to take the xanax from time to time be extremely careful and take the minimum amount to provide relief, you do not want a xanax addiction!

Worth repeating. ^

You already went from one per week to taking them 3 days in a row pretty quickly. Because you had a benzo addiction in the past your brain is pre-programmed to get hooked again VERY fast, much faster than someone taking them for the first time. This will sneak up on you before you know it.
    jackclif likes this.

Thanks for the advice! I've been down the addiction/hell withdrawal road before so I am as careful as I possibly can be with benzos. Great feedback.

And ya ThisWeek, I know and honestly after that sudden increase that was the exact reason I joined to get some advice to make sure I don't get addicted again. let me say that I am very dedicated to not letting this get out of hand. I really appreciate the response. and ya Im only going to take it as needed as infrequently as I possibly can. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have some withdrawal issues from spaced out and infrequent use.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-27-2016 at 03:55 AM.

Another question if anyone knows the answer to this:

Does taking 2mg instead of say .5 or 1mg increase the chances of dependency/higher chances of experiencing some withdrawal symptoms If it is spaced out in that same once or twice a month frequency? Will I experience any withdrawal at that 2mg dose once every 2 weeks?

I mean I'm sure the obvious answer to the increase of chance is yes because its a higher dose but is taking that specific dose once or twice a month going to cause dependency and negative side effects? I absolutely agree with the taking lower doses and gradually taking more if needed for panic attacks but my usage isn't specific to the classic panic attack scenarios ( I mean its definitely the most common and main reason I take it infrequently ) but the reason I ask this is because I also take Xanax to help with intense ( and i mean intense... considering I have a panic disorder ) social situations. Meaning that If I had a party to go to or a big family event I would take 1-2mg. And I never drink on benzos Im not an idiot, again I was once a benzo idiot. It seems for me that the 1-2mg higher dose is the only thing that cuts through my anxiety in situations like this.

and I know overcoming my social fears and not taking Xanax is a better option but sometimes its just not that easy. Ive been fighting this since I was 13 and I want to have some minuscule social life. And yes I know I have an addictive personality and this is a scary road I'm looking down right now but Im trying to figure out how to set rules that I can follow that will allow me to take my meds without having to go through another withdrawal. Thanks again everyone I know I'm a chatter box so I apologize for the long-winded question posts.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-27-2016 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackclif View Post
    Another question if anyone knows the answer to this:

Does taking 2mg instead of say .5 or 1mg increase the chances of dependency/higher chances of experiencing some withdrawal symptoms If it is spaced out in that same once or twice a month frequency? Will I experience any withdrawal at that 2mg dose once every 2 weeks?

I mean I'm sure the obvious answer to the increase of chance is yes because its a higher dose but is taking that specific dose once or twice a month going to cause dependency and negative side effects? I absolutely agree with the taking lower doses and gradually taking more if needed for panic attacks but my usage isn't specific to the classic panic attack scenarios ( I mean its definitely the most common and main reason I take it infrequently ) but the reason I ask this is because I also take Xanax to help with intense ( and i mean intense... considering I have a panic disorder ) social situations. Meaning that If I had a party to go to or a big family event I would take 1-2mg. And I never drink on benzos Im not an idiot, again I was once a benzo idiot. It seems for me that the 1-2mg higher dose is the only thing that cuts through my anxiety in situations like this.

and I know overcoming my social fears and not taking Xanax is a better option but sometimes its just not that easy. Ive been fighting this since I was 13 and I want to have some minuscule social life. And yes I know I have an addictive personality and this is a scary road I'm looking down right now but Im trying to figure out how to set rules that I can follow that will allow me to take my meds without having to go through another withdrawal. Thanks again everyone I know I'm a chatter box so I apologize for the long-winded question posts.
    jack, I'm not sure if anyone can answer those questions accurately/correctly? In theory one would think that taking more could pose more problems? You have already admitted that you have an addictive personality so knowing that I would repeat again to be extremely careful! I still say your best bet is to take the smallest dose that will provide relief? You know tge

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    jack, I'm not sure if anyone can answer those questions accurately/correctly? In theory one would think that taking more could pose more problems? You have already admitted that you have an addictive personality so knowing that I would repeat again to be extremely careful! I still say your best bet is to take the smallest dose that will provide relief? You know tge
    Sorry, I posted the last reply by accident before I was finished.

You know the dangers, don't let it get out of hand! Best wishes... God bless us all!