xanax induced seizure
    jack7777 is offline New Member

Default xanax induced seizure

Hello.
    I am a 30yo Male and i take xanax in the 4-5 mg dose once at night (usually 2-5 a.m) before i sleep for over 5 years now.
    I started taking them because of panic attacks and agorophobia.
    I never had a seizure in my life until last night.
    I got in some trouble with the police because of suspect of beeing a part of road racing.
    So i was in custody for the whole night and till mid day.
    At the morning i had a pretty bad seizure at the police station.
    Funny thing is i didnt know i had one till my father came to pick me up at around 2 p.m.
    All i knew was that i was sitting down with alot of body pains but i had no recollection that i had a seizure at all.
    I concur that it was because i didnt take my xanax dose. Which i only take around 3-5 am.
    Should i be worried now that i had a seizure of having another one?
    What i mean is. after the first one is it easier for me to have a second one and so on?

Thanks alot.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

That's very frightening. I'm sorry to hear you went through that.

It's difficult for any of us to predict whether or not you'll experience another seizure. You need to speak with your doctor immediately. As you've just come to see, stopping Xanax abruptly (especially after extended use at a high dose) can cause seizures.

What is your intention? Do you want off the Xanax?

DinhDynastie316 is offline New Member

Will taking 1mg a day for about 4-5 months and then quitting cold turkey give me any seizures? I've quit now and so far its day 5. Its been one heck of a ride staying off them. And do you also know how long its gonna take for me to not feel like this? The typical symptoms from quitting xanax I mean. I know the hard part is behind me but sometimes just the little stuff can bring some of the symptoms back.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DinhDynastie316 View Post
    Will taking 1mg a day for about 4-5 months and then quitting cold turkey give me any seizures? I've quit now and so far its day 5. Its been one heck of a ride staying off them. And do you also know how long its gonna take for me to not feel like this? The typical symptoms from quitting xanax I mean. I know the hard part is behind me but sometimes just the little stuff can bring some of the symptoms back.
    Hi there. Even though 1mg is a relatively low dose, you should always taper off benzos. Since you're at day 5 now, it's really hard to say whether or not you're at risk of having a seizure from quitting cold turkey.

If it were me, I'd see my doctor right away and let them know my situation. A lot of docs will prescribe an anti-seizure medication for a while.

I can't say with any certainty how long your symptoms will linger, but you should see some gradual improvement within a couple weeks. Still, I'd see my doctor about it just to be on the safe side.

Take care.
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-05-2015 at 01:20 AM.

DinhDynastie316 is offline New Member

Thank you for replying back Kat. I've never had a seizure before if that helps and a Dr is out of the question...no insurance.