Xanax taper help 2mg a day
    Clsmith75 is offline New Member

Default Xanax taper help 2mg a day

I have been on Xanax 2mg a day since March 2016 and would like to get off of them. I have been through Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome the last time I got off of Xanax cold turkey because I lost my health insurance and couldn't get my prescription and was forced to go cold turkey by my local health department, it almost killed me literally. I do not want to experience that again, so I'm looking for advice on how to taper my current dose and get off of the Benzodiazepine drugs permanently. I am prescribed 1mg, twice a day (1 in morning, 1 before bed). A holiday weekend left me without Xanax a couple of months ago for 4 days and began feeling the withdrawals by day 2 and ended up going to the hospital ER to get help until I could go to the doctor the following Monday. He put me right back on them. I want off of them. I know tapering can take a few months to be successful and I want to do it safely. How do I start?

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clsmith75 View Post
    I have been on Xanax 2mg a day since March 2016 and would like to get off of them. I have been through Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome the last time I got off of Xanax cold turkey because I lost my health insurance and couldn't get my prescription and was forced to go cold turkey by my local health department, it almost killed me literally. I do not want to experience that again, so I'm looking for advice on how to taper my current dose and get off of the Benzodiazepine drugs permanently. I am prescribed 1mg, twice a day (1 in morning, 1 before bed). A holiday weekend left me without Xanax a couple of months ago for 4 days and began feeling the withdrawals by day 2 and ended up going to the hospital ER to get help until I could go to the doctor the following Monday. He put me right back on them. I want off of them. I know tapering can take a few months to be successful and I want to do it safely. How do I start?
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Obviously you know not to quit benzos cold turkey, it can be very dangerous! When getting off of benzos slow and steady wins the race!

Taper your xanax by 5-10% every 7-10 days. You can achieve the reductions by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12) for the shaving method, you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method.

You'll want to taper slow enough to avoid or at least minimize any withdrawal symptoms. You can adjust the taper faster or slower depending on how you feel? I hope this helps? Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!