Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Inmytree
Xanax withdrawal, after 9+ years...
    Inmytree is offline New Member

Question Xanax withdrawal, after 9+ years...

I'm so glad to have found this forum, as I have been cut off by my RNP from both my xanax for severe anxiety, and vicodin for chronic pain.

I started taking xanax, .5mg as needed, around 2000-2003. Then a couple of years with none, and the last 9 years, daily. It started with .5mg 3x/day, then upped a few years back to 1mg 3x/day. I also started saving 0.5mg from my bedtime dose a couple of years ago, to save 15 for unusually rough days.
    I am uber frightened as to what the WD will do to me, especially with a stressful job (that I can't take off to WD) and my life basically in shambles.
    I cut back this week to 0.5mg 3x/day as a start. I only have 1mg pills, so Im not sure how I can make them into 0.25mg...
    My RNP I'm 99% positive will not help me through this. Im not sure she can legally since I had a random urine test and had smoked some weed and it showed up. So even if she felt inclined, I feel sure at my appt Tuesday I'll hear a big fat, 'you're on your own'.
    I'm afraid the xanax will be rougher to WD from than the vicodin, which is why I'm cross posting in this thread as well as in the opiate withdrawal thread.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-09-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    Namaste
    >kate

boraborabob is offline New Member

I take xanax to keep from defibing and my on board Medtronic device shocking my heart. But follow me here. I have bad back, went from 5mg 3 times a day to 10mg 4 times a day over the last five years. I started my own detox Jan 1st and worked down to 15mg a day and went cold turkey. Yes it was as miserable as they say. It's now been 35 days and don't think about it anymore. Only reason(I'm 74) for doing it was government intrusion into my life and making it a hassle.

So with this success I decided to get off xanax other than carry a few with my nitro pills in case I get into a very stressful spot where I feel I might go into defib. Maybe once every few months. I am having a more difficult time with xanax than I did Hydro. Trying to just ween down from .25 three times a day by gutting up the pills. A relatively small dose but after about 7 hrs I have all the detox systems (similar to hydro) and they seem more severe than when I got off hydro.

I would be interested in your progress. I'll be happy to share mine. Decided to go cold turkey today and will see if I can make it through.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boraborabob View Post
    I take xanax to keep from defibing and my on board Medtronic device shocking my heart. But follow me here. I have bad back, went from 5mg 3 times a day to 10mg 4 times a day over the last five years. I started my own detox Jan 1st and worked down to 15mg a day and went cold turkey. Yes it was as miserable as they say. It's now been 35 days and don't think about it anymore. Only reason(I'm 74) for doing it was government intrusion into my life and making it a hassle.

So with this success I decided to get off xanax other than carry a few with my nitro pills in case I get into a very stressful spot where I feel I might go into defib. Maybe once every few months. I am having a more difficult time with xanax than I did Hydro. Trying to just ween down from .25 three times a day by gutting up the pills. A relatively small dose but after about 7 hrs I have all the detox systems (similar to hydro) and they seem more severe than when I got off hydro.

I would be interested in your progress. I'll be happy to share mine. Decided to go cold turkey today and will see if I can make it through.
    Bob - hopefully you check back here? You can not quit the Xanax cold turkey! It is very DANGEROUS to do so, it is nothing like the hydro detox or any other opiate detox for that matter! The withdrawals from Xanax are 100 times worse than opiates! I can advise you on how to wean off Xanax properly, it has to be done very slowly at a reduction of 5-10% every 5-7 days! I'll check back later to see if you updated your post, I'm usually in the forums late nights into the early morning! God bless us all!

PS
    .25mg of Xanax 3x/day is not a small dose by any means!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Agree please don't go cold turkey off the Xanax. Your dose sounds small but it's not. Better to keep cutting into small crumbs and eliminate only a small bit at a time. Taper slowly and gradually.

Hamscraps is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Agree please don't go cold turkey off the Xanax. Your dose sounds small but it's not. Better to keep cutting into small crumbs and eliminate only a small bit at a time. Taper slowly and gradually.
    Yes, listen to this and do not go cold turkey from Xanax. Get a pill cutter if you need to start cutting the halves into quarters if you can. How many do you have left?

It's been awhile, but I was right about my RNP. She did cut me back to 2mg/day for a month, but when I went back Friday, she said it 'was all in my head and to get over it'. No more xanax to help me taper properly. And this weekend has been hell. Luckily I found some gabapentin, which has helped, and I have an appointment with a new psychiatrist tomorrow morning. There was a cancelation so I got lucky. Hoping he will help.

I'm in a quandary though, about telling him all that has happened since the urine test... I'm sure I'll be a big ol mess by morning, as I took my last .5mg yesterday afternoon, and I'm completely out now. I had only tapered to .5mg/3x day, thinking she was helping me taper.... But in fact, she was not. Her response of 'it's all in your head' was so - well, I have no words for it. She also told me the only reason she kept me on the xanax and vicodon was because it was easier than having me crying in her office. She shouldn't be allowed to treat anyone.

I did (have to) stop the vicodin last weekend, took my last 3.5mg on Thursday, and spent the weekend feeling like hell, but by Tuesday I was feeling a little better. I was pretty proud that I'd gotten through it, and then she just cut off my xanax. Now instead of being proud for kicking the vicodin, I'm withdrawing from xanax this weekend....

Hoping the new doc will help me....

If it were me I'd write a complaint to your state medical licensing board about her. Suggest remedial education about benzo withdrawal, although they won't tell you whether they take any disciplinary action, which they probably won't, but maybe enough patients speaking up will eventually clue in the medical community.

Yes, it's "in your head", physically, as in your brain is encased inside your skull. It's your brain's chemical neurotransmitters being jerked around. People with benzo withdrawal seizures aren't making stuff up. Withdrawal is real.

The vicodin is mostly behind you, that is good. You may do alright without the Xanax and by "alright" I mean no seizures, get through each day, and past it after a week or two or three. By the time you get in with your new doctor you can decide if maybe you feel a little better and just stay off it. If not, hopefully the new doctor will have clue about slow taper off benzos. Sheesh.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

The new doc was super nice, I was really pleased. He was like a sweet grandpa guy
    He switched the Xanax for Ativan, 1mg 2x/day. It doesn't completely cover it yet, but I believe it will. And he switched my Lexapro (wasn't working for me) to Viibryd- expensive, but I got samples, and coupons so hopefully I'll be able ot afford them. I started all yesterday afternoon. Still having a few tremors, don't feel 'normal' (whatever that is) but they should subside soon...

Thanks for every response on this thread. It means more to me and my sanity than you realize.

Namaste,
    Kate

That is correct! 2 mg Ativan per day is equivalent to 1 mg Xanax so only 2/3 your normal dose, doesn't quite cover it but it's a whole lot better than nothing! And Ativan has a longer half life so it should build up in a couple days and lets hope you'll be feeling okay. Wow, so glad your new doctor is so much better than your other one.

I'm still a little loopy, but am hoping I'll settle in with the new meds soon...
    Thanks for your support!
    Namaste
    Kate
    Thisweekforsure likes this.