Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GibsonMan
  • 1 Post By GibsonMan
Adderall not working?
    VinnyPel2ella is offline New Member

Default Adderall not working?

Ok so in short, im struggling with many psychiatric problems right now and I've been researching my symptoms and have come to the conclusion at my next psych apt i will ask my doctor to explore ADHD stimulant medications. It seems to make more sense than some of the meds he asked me to look at to see if i would take them (he knows my love for pharmaceutical information and the chemistry in how they work so before he prescribes he tells me the meds for my personal research into them, not my love to get high on them lol). I have in the past (very rarely, im a opiate guy and am on suboxone) have abused stimulant prescription medication, mainly adderall. I loved it, it gave me energy, motivation, it helped me concentrate, it was just awesome for me. But that was years ago, i have recently run into some friends that get scripts for the 25mg XR(the same kind i knew and loved from before) and i thought it had been a while since i indulged...After feeling no effects my standing dose was at 5 25mg XR for a total of 125mg. Had this been years ago id of been up for days straight, but it had no effect on me. I thought this was very strange, a med that once brought me all these great aspects now has no effect. Is there any reasoning to this at all? I am asking this because like i mentioned before i am trying to explore the possibilities of prescription stimulants in treatment of my ailments. The weird thing is that i had also tried ritalin for the first time a few months back and it worked exactly how i remembered adderall working (except for not as long). I am very confused by this, and the only explanation i can think of is burning out my pleasure pathways associated with my long >>>>>> addiction? But this makes little to no sense to me. Hopefully if anyone has experienced this they could shed some light on the issue. And maybe give me some tips as to how to approach this as it will be the first time i have ever "asked" a doctor about trying out a medication (and im afraid that with my history being know, he will think that i am trying to seek medication ...)

Thanks in advance!

GibsonMan is offline New Member

I'm not sure what to tell ya about the Adderall not working except that either he misrepresented the dose (but I'm assuming you checked the pills) or…. yeah, that's all I got. If they were real, they'd work. But that said, if you really, legitimately want to treat your ADHD (coming from a fellow dude w/ ADHD) then you'll want to start WAY lower. I know it feels good to take a ton of the stuff, but for Tx, it's not going to help at all. A dose higher than 60mg of XR per day is going to actually be counter productive in the long run; you'll start to build a tolerance very quickly and you'll never really get it under control, which will lead to problems getting it prescribed to you, among the other actual neurochemical problems it will create.

I've been taking 40mg Adderall XR for about 5 years now. Started on like 5mg of the instants, worked up from there. Abused it at first (kinda comes with ADD I guess) but then realized that if I actually wanted to not have ADD, then I'd have to take the meds the right way. (And actually, people with ADD totally have an edge over people who don't IF we can control our attention, to the point where it's almost unfair haha). Yeah, you don't get high and you get dependent on the meds pretty quick, but I actually went from 60mg xr to 40mg XR a day about 3 years ago and have been totally fine.

There are other meds out there. Vyvance is one, but I tried it and did absolutely nothing. Same thing for a few of my friends too (And it's pretty expensive, adderall xr is generic now).

So to summarize, Don't ask your doctor for 125mg a day, don't take 125mg a day (even if it worked in the past dude, trust me on this, in 5 years you'll thank the random guy on the forums), but Adderall XR is an awesome choice. Oh, and physiologically there's no association with the opiate bliss and the efficacy of a stimulant.
    mardigras man 420 likes this.

GibsonMan is offline New Member

Haha, well, you can tell my Adderall has worn off I guess. Forgot to really tell you how to approach your Dr. So here's some tips…

I don't know if you've taken any tests confirming ADHD, but if you haven't, maybe open with like "hey, I am pretty sure I have ADD and I'd really like to improve (insert something in your life that ADD messes up: school, relationships, etc)". Take the test and I'd bet $$ you pass with flying colors (or fail depending on how you look at it).

Explain to him WHY you want to be treated for ADHD; do some research and you'll probably be surprised how many areas of your life it's influencing, and realize that with the correct treatment many of them will improve.

Let him know that you're committed to treating your ADHD with behavioral changes, therapy, and medicine. If he's still suspicious just prove to him that you won't abuse it by offering to bring your bottle to your next session and schedule it after like 28 days so you still have some pills left or something like that.

Basically let him know you're for real and you're willing to start out small. Hope that helps. Best of luck.
    mardigras man 420 likes this.