Adding Anti-Anxiety Drugs to Wellbutrin
    Broseidon is offline New Member

Question Adding Anti-Anxiety Drugs to Wellbutrin

Hi, I'm new here, and I have some questions about Wellbutrin that I was hoping you guys could help me with. I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg/day, and since it's not indicated for treating anxiety, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add an anti-anxiety medication to it for maximum effectiveness.

But first, here's a little background on me. I am a 20-year-old male. I've had moderate to severe depression, seasonal depression, social anxiety, and generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember (probably since middle school). I'm also a perfectionist, which makes my life a bit of a living hell since no one is perfect but my brain wants me to be. This was probably behind my being diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I just started trying to get treatment for my anxiety and depression when I got to college 1.5 years ago. I took one dose of Remeron (a terrible and dangerous drug by the way, I recommend never taking it), felt abysmal, and never took another. Next I tried Zoloft for 2 weeks, but stopped because of heartburn. Next up was Lexapro which after 6 weeks had absolutely no effect on me. After that I did a 6-week trial of Prozac - still no results. I tried Effexor once, but it gave me a migraine and made me shaky so I never took that again. So after 5 failed prescriptions, I ended up at Cymbalta. It didn't really do anything for my anxiety but it did significantly improve my depression symptoms. Unfortunately, I had a very strange reaction to drinking while on it: I had 5 drinks, blacked out, and ended up spending the night in the drunk tank. So now I'm getting off of that mess and starting on Wellbutrin.

My doctor prescribed me Klonopin for my anxiety, and it works great. Unfortunately, like all benzodiazepines, your body builds tolerance to it quickly so it's not a long-term option. So my question is, what would be the best drug for me to add to Wellbutrin to help with my anxiety? I'd be willing to try BuSpar, but I don't know anything about a Wellbutrin/BuSpar combination. I've heard good things about Wellbutrin + SSRIs, but is it possible for a drug that I didn't notice any effects with (e.g. Lexapro) to start working when combined with another drug?

I know this was a long post and I appreciate anyone reading it and posting a reply with their advice. Thanks
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-30-2010 at 03:21 PM.

cferd is offline Member

I may be mistaken but I believe wellbutrin and buspar are the same thing. I stayed on a benzo for far too long and now I'm having a hard time tapering it. It doesn't sound like you respond to ssri's very well. I've been reading a lot about how the thyroid can cause depression and fatigue if it's not working right. Something you should have checked out if you have'nt already done so.

pdtinstardom is offline New Member

I'm sorry you're going through that! I also have had to deal with some things myself related to CFS.
    I have heard good things about Buspar.
    It is not similar to Wellbutrin; it's a completely different medication. It focuses on anxiety specifically, although it's said to have some effects on depression (at least, some studies have shown that).

I would definitely try that to see if it helps. It has a really good side effect profile and since Wellbutrin seems to be working, it sounds like a really good choice for you!

You can email me at pdtinstardom AT gmail DOT com...

Enogueira is offline New Member

Default Not the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by cferd View Post
    I may be mistaken but I believe wellbutrin and buspar are the same thing. I stayed on a benzo for far too long and now I'm having a hard time tapering it. It doesn't sound like you respond to ssri's very well. I've been reading a lot about how the thyroid can cause depression and fatigue if it's not working right. Something you should have checked out if you have'nt already done so.

Buspar is not the same thing as Wellbutrin aka buspirone. Buspar is an anxiolytic and Wellbutrin is an antidepressant.