Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CodeMonk
Alternative to Norco? - Time release maybe?
    CodeMonk is offline New Member

Unhappy Alternative to Norco? - Time release maybe?

I've got Syringomyelia (Found from MRI 12 years ago), and Small Schmorl's nodes on my discs (MRI from 3 months ago).

Currently my doctor prescribes me 120 10/325 Norco (4x day) and 90 Soma (3x day).
    I take the Norco during the daytime, and the Soma at night (Generally no less than 4 hours after my last Norco).

Its not really working that well, and hasn't been for quite a while now.
    If I'm lucky, the Norco lasts 2 weeks, The Soma is not usually a problem (I may run out 3 or 4 days early sometimes).
    I usually have to take 2 - 3 Norco in the morning just to be able to get out of bed without feeling like screaming in pain.
    If they lasted longer, it wouldn't be such a problem, but I can take 2 of them and if I'm lucky, the pain relief only lasts 2 hours at most (Even less at this time of year, snow to shovel, fire wood to deal with and such).
    I get similar effects with Percocet. Although that was with a different doctor several years ago.

Right now I am unemployed with no insurance (Working on fixing that), and the only jobs around here are warehouse jobs, which with my back, I just wouldn't be able to do.

I've read some of the threads here and seen a lot of talk about the fentanyl patch, and it sounds like something that makes >>>>>> sound like a better alternative. No thanks to both. I worked as a Correctional Officer for 6 years and have seen all to often the results of that >>>>.

I'm looking for an alternative, but not something that makes me drowsy (I got Soma for that).
    Whether Norco/Percocet gives me energy or it just takes away the pain so I can be normal, I don't know.
    I've always been a very active and busy person most of my life. Try being the only network admin with 100+ computers to keep running sometime . And then running your own business in the evenings.

I don't want to have to be taking pills every 2 hours.
    And apparently there isn't a time release Hydrocodone.

I've got a Dr. appointment in a few weeks and I would like to ask my doctor to find something more suitable.
    But I would at least like to know what options are out there before I go.

Is Oxycontin a good alternative?
    I've heard both good and bad about it, so at this point, I don't know what to think.
    If I could take just one pill a day (or one every 8 hours or something).

So, uhm...cost is kind of an issue right now too. My Norco if about $35 a month.

Appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks

CodeMonk is offline New Member

I was hoping for some kind of response by this time.
    Guess so far I'm SOL.