Antipsychotics and stimulants

Default Antipsychotics and stimulants

Last year I was in the mental ward for 2 weeks, and when I got out, the psychiatrist they stuck me with gave me Adderall because she felt I was "severely ADD." For me this was ridiculous because I have many issues but that wasn't one, but I wanted to try the Adderall, and sure it enough it made me (seemingly) superhuman. I felt smarter, was more productive, lost a ton of weight, etc. Unfortunately...schizophrenia runs in my family. And lately, I have been having problems with staying in reality, hearing voices/strange sounds, paranoia, apathy and loss of interest in things, perceptual distortions, etc. I am worried I can't function without Adderall. But if I am put on an antipsychotic, would the Adderall be useful still? Would it be safe? I hate how I feel lately; it is frightening. But I would miss feeling so awake...I was a big pile of nothingness before and I don't want that again.

nine999 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by vodahmin_ahrk_nahlot View Post
    Last year I was in the mental ward for 2 weeks, and when I got out, the psychiatrist they stuck me with gave me Adderall because she felt I was "severely ADD." For me this was ridiculous because I have many issues but that wasn't one, but I wanted to try the Adderall, and sure it enough it made me (seemingly) superhuman. I felt smarter, was more productive, lost a ton of weight, etc. Unfortunately...schizophrenia runs in my family. And lately, I have been having problems with staying in reality, hearing voices/strange sounds, paranoia, apathy and loss of interest in things, perceptual distortions, etc. I am worried I can't function without Adderall. But if I am put on an antipsychotic, would the Adderall be useful still? Would it be safe? I hate how I feel lately; it is frightening. But I would miss feeling so awake...I was a big pile of nothingness before and I don't want that again.
    Well if you are psychotic then Adderall will not make you productive...
    I would recommend you talk to your doctor and if you really do have schizophrenia get it treated in some manner.

Adderall is not the only way for you to be productive, you can motivate yourself in other manners, however you cannot fix your schizophrenia alone

god bless

Seek4urSelf is offline New Member

Default RE

Quote Originally Posted by vodahmin_ahrk_nahlot View Post

What experiences caused you to interpret that you may have schizophrenia? I have the DSM and have conducted approxiametely 20 years of pseudo-patient work, counseling, research and investigation. I would need to know what your 'impression' is at least.

The reality is, that most clients 'hate' how they feel and can conceive a label and some clients report the same impressions and don't conceive a label; but the common ground is accepting life and letting go of the past, along with adjusting their attitude.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-19-2015 at 11:37 AM.